Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
I just got a 2011 sonata gls iridescent silver blue, and it's been about a week, and i think it's time to give it a cleaning.
I have never owned a car of my own before, and I would like some product recommendations and how to approach cleaning this new car. thanks!

i would like to know what everyone uses to clean their car + wax.

·
Registered
548 Posts
QUOTE (shinigami @ Jul 11 2010, 08:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340852
hi,
I just got a 2011 sonata gls iridescent silver blue, and it's been about a week, and i think it's time to give it a cleaning.
I have never owned a car of my own before, and I would like some product recommendations and how to approach cleaning this new car. thanks!

i would like to know what everyone uses to clean their car + wax.
Go to Walmart and buy some Meguiars products. If you haven't done much for your car yet, then you'll need to give it a pretty good cleaning. Although it is new, you should definitely clay bar it before applying any wax. Go to meguiars.com and check out their forums because you'll find out all kinds of important information there. Remember to wash your car in the shade otherwise you're going to end up with spots on your paint finish. Wash it twice, actually. Get it as clean as possible, getting the undersides of the trim and bumpers etc. Once it is washed, dry it really REALLY well. Then use some of Meguiars ultimate quick detailer to pick up any other dirt you missed, then get out the clay bar kit you can buy at Walmart and claybar all painted surfaces and even windows... yes, the windows. If you have any questions on how to use these products, there are very helpful videos and walkthroughs on the meguiars website that can help out tremendously. After you clay bar, apply wax in two thin coats, letting the first dry about an hour before wiping it off. Again, use the help on meguiars.com. Those forums and users are a huge help to people just learning how to properly detail a car. Set aside about 6-8 hours for this. If you want to do it right, it's going to take a while, especially if you don't have a dual action polisher and are doing this by hand... like I do. Anyways, good luck and like I said, VISIT THE FORUMS.

Now, if you're leaning towards some more expensives paint protection products like Zaino, and you're willing to spend more cash, check that out. There are countless resources online with professional help and walkthroughs... also check out http://www.adamspolishes.com/

·
Registered
72 Posts
QUOTE (Proprioceptive @ Jul 11 2010, 10:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340885
Go to Walmart and buy some Meguiars products. If you haven't done much for your car yet, then you'll need to give it a pretty good cleaning. Although it is new, you should definitely clay bar it before applying any wax. Go to meguiars.com and check out their forums because you'll find out all kinds of important information there. Remember to wash your car in the shade otherwise you're going to end up with spots on your paint finish. Wash it twice, actually. Get it as clean as possible, getting the undersides of the trim and bumpers etc. Once it is washed, dry it really REALLY well. Then use some of Meguiars ultimate quick detailer to pick up any other dirt you missed, then get out the clay bar kit you can buy at Walmart and claybar all painted surfaces and even windows... yes, the windows. If you have any questions on how to use these products, there are very helpful videos and walkthroughs on the meguiars website that can help out tremendously. After you clay bar, apply wax in two thin coats, letting the first dry about an hour before wiping it off. Again, use the help on meguiars.com. Those forums and users are a huge help to people just learning how to properly detail a car. Set aside about 6-8 hours for this. If you want to do it right, it's going to take a while, especially if you don't have a dual action polisher and are doing this by hand... like I do. Anyways, good luck and like I said, VISIT THE FORUMS.

Now, if you're leaning towards some more expensives paint protection products like Zaino, and you're willing to spend more cash, check that out. There are countless resources online with professional help and walkthroughs... also check out http://www.adamspolishes.com/

Proprioceptive comments.................................... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Also take a look at a product called Grit Guard and look at Mequiars.com forums for the two bucket wash method.
Your favorite tunes and some elbow grease and your ride will shine.

Chuck

·
Registered
264 Posts
Same method I've used for every car I've owned. A shot of dawn dish soap into a bucket of warm water and wash with a clean towel. wax is a $4 bottle of the regular Turtle wax... every 3 or 4 months. and touch up between washes with liquid ice spray (also a Turtle Wax product) and a clean towel.

on the glass, just amonia and water mixed in an old glass plus bottle

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (gregd71 @ Jul 12 2010, 07:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340936
Same method I've used for every car I've owned. A shot of dawn dish soap into a bucket of warm water and wash with a clean towel. wax is a $4 bottle of the regular Turtle wax... every 3 or 4 months. and touch up between washes with liquid ice spray (also a Turtle Wax product) and a clean towel.

on the glass, just amonia and water mixed in an old glass plus bottle
^^^ use this guys method if you want to leave your car wax free (dawn removes wax) and tint free (ammonia disolves window tint and turns it purple prematurely)

·
Registered
264 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jul 12 2010, 08:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340949
^^^ use this guys method if you want to leave your car wax free (dawn removes wax) and tint free (ammonia disolves window tint and turns it purple prematurely)

the inside tinted windows use a different spray, amonia free windex, which smears on the plain glass though. i was strickly referring to the outside. and my car stays waxed just fine by my method.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (gregd71 @ Jul 12 2010, 09:09 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340961
the inside tinted windows use a different spray, amonia free windex, which smears on the plain glass though. i was strickly referring to the outside. and my car stays waxed just fine by my method.
I use Stoner's Invisible Glass (IG) religiously on inside and outside glass. VERY safe for tint (ammonia free) and it doesn't "smear" on the outside????

·
Registered
264 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jul 12 2010, 09:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340963
I use Stoner's Invisible Glass (IG) religiously on inside and outside glass. VERY safe for tint (ammonia free) and it doesn't "smear" on the outside????
ill have to try it. i usually go to a car wash... as i live in an apartment without a hose outside. i end up chasing after the guys who detail it when it comes out, and shoving the amonia free stuff in their hand before they spray the glass inside.

·
Registered
154 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jul 12 2010, 09:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340963

Stoner's IG ia AMAZING!!! I discovered it years ago at Shop N' Save for a dollar a can. It got much more popular and the price went up. Great stuff, i also do not recommend using dawn to wash your car. Maybe once a year to get all the junk off that's built up. Many respectable sources agree that it is definitely not necessary and may have "potentially" negative side effects if used long enough.

·
Registered
264 Posts
QUOTE (tCizzler @ Jul 12 2010, 09:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340969
Stoner's IG ia AMAZING!!! I discovered it years ago at Shop N' Save for a dollar a can. It got much more popular and the price went up. Great stuff, i also do not recommend using dawn to wash your car. Maybe once a year to get all the junk off that's built up. Many respectable sources agree that it is definitely not necessary and may have "potentially" negative side effects if used long enough.
thats probably why i never saw any negative effects from dish soap... it was only on rare occasions, like over moms house that i would use it. ive lived in apartments forever, so i usually end up at the do-it-yourself car wash, or the full service one in the winter months.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Do not listen to Mr. Dawn. Every time you wash you would strip the car of its wax. Please check out meguiars.com and usually target or walmart has all the meguiars products you will need.

·
Registered
548 Posts
They're correct about DAWN soap. It is okay to use only if you want to take off any coats of wax you have on already. Actually, if you continue use of DAWN regularly with only one coat of wax, you will eventually degrade the finish of the clearcoat and begin damaging the paint job underneath. If you do use DAWN, make sure that you do a second wash with a good carwash detergent which contains conditioners which will prevent the clear coat and paint job from drying out and being ruined.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Go to Walmart and buy some Meguiars products. If you haven't done much for your car yet, then you'll need to give it a pretty good cleaning. Although it is new, you should definitely clay bar it before applying any wax. Go to meguiars.com and check out their forums because you'll find out all kinds of important information there. Remember to wash your car in the shade otherwise you're going to end up with spots on your paint finish. Wash it twice, actually. Get it as clean as possible, getting the undersides of the trim and bumpers etc. Once it is washed, dry it really REALLY well. Then use some of Meguiars ultimate quick detailer to pick up any other dirt you missed, then get out the clay bar kit you can buy at Walmart and claybar all painted surfaces and even windows... yes, the windows. If you have any questions on how to use these products, there are very helpful videos and walkthroughs on the meguiars website that can help out tremendously. After you clay bar, apply wax in two thin coats, letting the first dry about an hour before wiping it off. Again, use the help on meguiars.com. Those forums and users are a huge help.

I purchased Meguiars NXT TECH WAX for my Pearl White SE. In researching at Meguiars site I discovered that they recomend that you wait 12 hours before applying a second thin coat of NXT. Also they emphasized that you should insure that the waxed surface does not encounter any water for 12 hours after the first application. So no rain no sprinkling system water and no second coat or wax. This no doubt, does not apply to every wax, but something to consider.

·
Registered
548 Posts
QUOTE (sailpowerd @ Jul 12 2010, 01:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341088
I purchased Meguiars NXT TECH WAX for my Pearl White SE. In researching at Meguiars site I discovered that they recomend that you wait 12 hours before applying a second thin coat of NXT. Also they emphasized that you should insure that the waxed surface does not encounter any water for 12 hours after the first application. So no rain no sprinkling system water and no second coat or wax. This no doubt, does not apply to every wax, but something to consider.
Do you mean apply the first coat of wax, wipe off, wait 12 hours, then apply second coat?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
alright, what's the best way to clean + wax my car without water?? i live at an apartment and i park my car in the parking lot.
and are gas station car washes safe to use?

·
Registered
548 Posts
QUOTE (shinigami @ Jul 12 2010, 07:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341212
alright, what's the best way to clean + wax my car without water?? i live at an apartment and i park my car in the parking lot.
and are gas station car washes safe to use?
Errr... I'm not sure about the washing without water. It's pretty essential if you ask me, but maybe someone else can chime in. Personally, I'd take it to a friends place and pay him for the use of the water... but that's me. Auto car washes at gas stations etc are okay for your car, but won't get you the good results you'd get from a hand washing. Make sure it's touchless, though, because if it isn't, you're going to end up with mad swirl marks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Use specially formulated car wash (try to avoid the built-in wax stuff, won't really hurt but doesn't help). Waxing won't really help at this time nor the clay unless you've had a lot of dirt build up and/or some extremely abrasive stuff in contact with the car. I would however use a paint sealant such as NuFinish to help keep your finish in good condition although most dealerships put it on as part of a new car package. My dealership puts on ResistAll, I had a second coat put on, feels like I went over with a clay bar and it resist the elements with no trouble (its like I Rain-X'd the finish).

·
Registered
20 Posts
washing i use the new practically dry by itself turtle wax brand.. i think
wax i use mothers cleaning polish then use mothers reg polish for finale wax
wheels armorall no water foaming tire spray just spray , grime floats off and go
foaming glass cleaner works well too, with blue shop towels
rainx on windshield to repel water

not only do i know these products work, i use them with great success, also ziebarting your paint FTW! pricey but worth having done

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought this kit from advanced auto parts the other day Smooth Surface Clay Kit

I tested it out on my wife's car that hasnt been waxed since 07 and the clay bar definitly made the surface smooth, but not any smoother than the new paint on mine, so I'm not going to clay mine yet.

The kit comes with a bottle of Quick Detailer to use in conjuction with the clay bar and I have been using it constantly on my car. Since the car is black, dust shows up the first time you drive it after washing so I just spray on the QD and wipe it off using microfiber towels about every other day and it's a pretty good no-water solution and only takes a few minutes.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts