Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Soot Removal and Cause

Hi
Thank you for posting the pictures and information, I just bought my Santa Fe Diesel yesterday March 14 2014 After checking the intercooler for any oil residue I found slight traces so I took the rubber pipe to the intake manifold and Boom ! all sooted up 5mm partially blocked.
I realised it had to be removed to clean properly so pressure cleaning and degreasing bath then pressure cleaning again sorted that out. However the intake ports are also caked on soot 2-3mm all round.
Now I have to close both intake valves and prceed with a very dirty job cleaning them out one cylinder at a time 2 ports at a time.
I'm quite surprised with only 52,500 KMs Where does it all come from ???
I've included pics but looks much worse in person, I will have to check the EGR as well.
I did not have any smoke out my exhaust during my 40 kms or inspection before my teardown.

One last thing what are the little plastic things right beside each injector ? they turn and say open close (glow plugs ?)
Thank you for your input

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found out what the little plastic covers are. They have to be removed to gain access to the securing bolt for each injector. Once the bolt is released the injector is removed by hand or by slide hammer.
I also have done all the soot removal from intake manifold, intake ports, egr (not much in there) and air shut off valve. 20140315_210430.jpg 20140315_204637.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I found out what the little plastic covers are. They have to be removed to gain access to the securing bolt for each injector. Once the bolt is released the injector is removed by hand or by slide hammer.
I also have done all the soot removal from intake manifold, intake ports, egr (not much in there) and air shut off valve. View attachment 110185 View attachment 110193

On a highly worn diesel engine, gases can blow past the sides of the pistons and into the crankcase, then carry oil mist from the crankcase into the air intake via the breather. So breather carry oil mist to intake and loop is created. This caused deposit of oily dust inside the intake manifold. according to pictures, your cleaning the Swirl control valve located on intake manifold.
However, removing hi pressure injectors should be done with extreme care. if not, either you damage injectors or damage your body

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all,
I was not satisfied with the throttle response of my SF during last few months. Went through some technical documents and found poor functioning EGR valve has major impact on throttle response. Logically understood the concept and decided to clean EGR. I Spent 3 hours to do the job myself alone. It was not a easy task as I had to lay on top of the engine to remove valve. However, result was very satisfied; I feel real deference in throttle response, rattle sound and fuel consumption.
Share some pictures for other diesel guys, hope this would informative.

Hi,
Thank for clear info. Had the same problem but could not grasp what it was. Cleaned up the EGR valve and all is well once again. :grin:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nice pics of cleaning the EGR valve on the earlier engine.

I'm thinking of buying a 2010 2.2crdi with fairly high kms so the EGR valve will probably need cleaning - is it much different on the R series engine?

I looked around on the net and can't find any how to nor any workshop manual for it at all. Is there any repair info available for the 2010 Santa Fe?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Black smoke problem

Hi all,
I was not satisfied with the throttle response of my SF during last few months. Went through some technical documents and found poor functioning EGR valve has major impact on throttle response. Logically understood the concept and decided to clean EGR. I Spent 3 hours to do the job myself alone. It was not a easy task as I had to lay on top of the engine to remove valve. However, result was very satisfied; I feel real deference in throttle response, rattle sound and fuel consumption.
Share some pictures for other diesel guys, hope this would informative.
Hi and thank you for your link am having problems with black smoke and throttle response so am thinking egr valve also once this is clean am thinking of getting my car terra cleaned do you know if this is worth £120 and would it help me ? Thank you for your help

·
Registered
2 Posts
Useful thread, just finished cleaning EGR Valve on Santa Fe, agree it's tough laying on top of engine, one bolt (holds heat exchanger to block) is difficult to see and get at , but all in all not too difficult a job, and the results are certainly worth while, I used a degreaser and a small brush to clean the carbon from the Body, bit messy but did a great job.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Useful thread, just finished cleaning EGR Valve on Santa Fe, agree it's tough laying on top of engine, one bolt (holds heat exchanger to block) is difficult to see and get at , but all in all not too difficult a job, and the results are certainly worth while, I used a degreaser and a small brush to clean the carbon from the Body, bit messy but did a great job.
Hi jfradley, I'm curious what year is your Santa Fe? We just bought a 2010 model with the R-series engine and haven't found any info on cleaning the R-series EGR valve. No surprise I guess, haven't found any workshop info at all for this engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi jfradley, I'm curious what year is your Santa Fe? We just bought a 2010 model with the R-series engine and haven't found any info on cleaning the R-series EGR valve. No surprise I guess, haven't found any workshop info at all for this engine.
Mine is the 2007 2.2 cdi elite, cleaning the egr valve made a HUGE difference to performance, now when you put your foot down you go , no lag at all .

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mine is the 2007 2.2 cdi elite, cleaning the egr valve made a HUGE difference to performance, now when you put your foot down you go , no lag at all .
ah yes, 2007, I see its shown in your profile now. I'm surprised that there is now how-to for cleaning the EGR valve on the later 2.2L diesel.

I won't touch the EGR valve on our 2010 Santa Fe until there is a problem, but surely it will eventually get as dirty as any EGR valve and need cleaning. When the time comes I will take some pictures of the job and post them on here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, Symptoms for about a year were near stalling on the first occasion that I slowed down or stopped and then accelerated away after the first 2 miles of driving.
Dealer could find nothing wrong.
Two days ago the car barely started and would not tick over, after clouds of dark grey smoke and foot hard on the pedal, the car eventually got up to 2500 revs and by keeping it at that level I got home.
Just cleaned my EGR, car now running smoothly.
Instructions were spot on. I had trouble with a couple of the bolts, but otherwise all went well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello. Greetings from norway. I have a friend who has a 2,2 crdi sf and lately it has started to get sluggish. it has 151000 km on it.
If we push it up a steep hill it will go into limp mode. could this be because of a bad egr valve? he has had the injectors cleaned/changed recently due to starting issues at a shop.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
We did this yesterday. It took 1,5 hours from start to finish. The egr was not as dirty as I had suspected. We cleaned it, checked it with 12v and reassembled.

As we were disassembling we noticed that the two small hoses on the side of the intercooler was loose. On this car that was probably the main culprit, but as we had decided to clean the egr we kept going.
We also noticed that there were quite a bit of oily liquid inside the intercooler.
Now the car works well, so job well done.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Glad you got it sorted.

Looking forward to the day somebody describes (with pictures) cleaning the R series EGR valve. Maybe I will bite the bullet sometime and try it myself.

I contacted Hyundai NZ about it and they claimed it would never need cleaning. Maybe its true but somehow I find that hard to believe.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Glad you got it sorted.

Looking forward to the day somebody describes (with pictures) cleaning the R series EGR valve. Maybe I will bite the bullet sometime and try it myself.

I contacted Hyundai NZ about it and they claimed it would never need cleaning. Maybe its true but somehow I find that hard to believe.
you can buy the workshop manual on ebay in pdf format - that might be of some help to you

·
Registered
74 Posts
you can buy the workshop manual on ebay in pdf format - that might be of some help to you
Really? For the R-series? I have searched for months and not found such a PDF.

Could you please provide a link?

Only thing I found after a lot of searching was a Russian language version of an Autodata manual (hardcopy).

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
link - it's for the CM range, 2006-2010.

Hyundai Santa FE CM 2006 2010 Factory Workshop Service Manual | eBay

Not sure what the cut off date in 2010 is, but the r series was released in 2009 i think

ie http://www.hyundai.com.au/about-hyundai/news/articles/tougher-new-santa-fe--r--series-dials-up-power-and-economy
The R-series was introduced for the 2010 Model Year so it depends when that model year's deliveries were first made in the various countries - in the UK that would have been from October 2009.

If something refers to "CM 2006-2010" I'd take that to be 2006-2009 model years - so not the R-series but the previous cambelt engine.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yeah, thanks RT - bummer, I figured it was for the earlier cambelt driven engine. One day somebody will make a manual for the R-series engine.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts