Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I was not satisfied with the throttle response of my SF during last few months. Went through some technical documents and found poor functioning EGR valve has major impact on throttle response. Logically understood the concept and decided to clean EGR. I Spent 3 hours to do the job myself alone. It was not a easy task as I had to lay on top of the engine to remove valve. However, result was very satisfied; I feel real deference in throttle response, rattle sound and fuel consumption.
Share some pictures for other diesel guys, hope this would informative.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way, how do you clean it? Any risk of damaging the valve using high pressure air? Thanks
No, don't worry it won't damage by an air pressure. Also applying air pressure will not clean sufficiently. I applied kerosene in to valve chamber and cleaned using small tooth brush. do it gently and make sure to check weather valve is operating. you can check that by applying 12V in to valve power socket and see valve gate open and close state.
rgds

X

·
0 Posts
not for the faint hearted i fear....but i hope you got the results you were after???
looks complicated

·
Registered
843 Posts
Download pictures: simply right click on them to save them.
BTW,
I also cleaned the EGR control solenoids' little air filter. The control solenoid did not function properly amymore. There is a little round inlet chamber with a little spongy filter. The solenoid opens the vacuum line to it. When clogged it has trouble controlling the vacuum.
I think there was a little lid you can pull off.
Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great info paul. A quick question, where does the breather line goes to? Is it to the intake manifold? I am having some blowby and I dont know if it is becuase of a leaky hose or worn piston rings. Car has 90k on it. Bought it second hand. On one ocation the egr was so dirty it sludged the oil at 3K after a fresh oil change. Seems it throws too much soot into the intake causing lots of black smoke. Had the engine flushed. Oil had no metal debris so I thought everything was OK. My santa fe used to make burnouts when pressing hard on the pedal. Not anymore (auto tranny). Almost all of the smoke is gone with the EGR delete. I still have some gray smoke at idle. Thanks.

·
Registered
843 Posts
The vacuum is taken from the air inlet, don't know exactly where it is hooked up. I read on some threads these lines sometimes do get a leak and subsequent problems with EGR and /or idle running.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The vacuum is taken from the air inlet, don't know exactly where it is hooked up. I read on some threads these lines sometimes do get a leak and subsequent problems with EGR and /or idle running.
Do you know what the breather is hooked up to? Are any of these used to take blow-by from the crankcase back into the intake? Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi,
Lots of good info in this thread, can anyone please help me out to locate the EGR temperature sensor? I Recently cleaned the EGR due to P1405 (EGR tempereature sensor incorrect) diagnostic code using HICom diagnostics. After the EGR cleaning decreased the fuel consumption but i still get the diagnostic code P1405... I called my local Hyundai delaer to ask for a price of this EGR temp. sensor but they said there was none... Hmmm, how come i get EGR temp. sensor incorrect... I appreciate all answers, thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
An update:
In mean time have i checked the temperature over the different sensors:
Oxygen Sensor at cold engine: 475.690 celcius
Oxygen Sensor at hot engine: 682.921 celcius
Exhaust gas temp pre CPF at cold engine: 127.259 celcius
Exhaust gas temp pre CPF at hot engine: 131.968celcius
Exhaust gas temp pre VGT at cold engine: 127.259 celcius
Exhaust gas temp pre VGT at hot engine: 164.937celcius

The conclusion is that there seems to be an issue with the oxygen, VGT & CPF temp sensors. I have located the oxygen sensor but not the pre VGT & pre CPF temp sensors.
Is it the diagnostic tool that is tricking me as im using HiCOM on a 2.2CRDI (155HP)?
If not can someone please help me out locating the pre VGT & pre CPF temp sensors?

All answers are appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
@maduabey : Gabriel Bugnar, Romania, Santa FE 2.2 CRDI, 2009: Thanks a lot, I found your post very helpful. I have been to several garages but nothing. After your explanation, I solved the problem. Thanks a lot!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts