Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been seeing some oil leaking out at the valve cover bolts... Nothing serious but i figured I should at least try and research how to fix it myslf since its probably as simple as taking the bolts off and pulling the old gaskets out and dropping new ones on it.

Anyone have an instruction guide or manual or schematic for me? Also, Torque specs of the bolts on the covers?

Adam

·
Registered
448 Posts
QUOTE (AmongthechosenX @ Aug 4 2010, 01:50 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347004
I've been seeing some oil leaking out at the valve cover bolts... Nothing serious but i figured I should at least try and research how to fix it myslf since its probably as simple as taking the bolts off and pulling the old gaskets out and dropping new ones on it.

Anyone have an instruction guide or manual or schematic for me? Also, Torque specs of the bolts on the covers?

Adam
Have a look through this thread, you'll find a post by me where I uploaded the 1.6 engine section of a repair manual - that should show you what you need to know.

Have you tried just tightening the valve cover bolts evenly to see if that fixes the problem?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (Alfons @ Aug 4 2010, 12:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347083
Have a look through this thread, you'll find a post by me where I uploaded the 1.6 engine section of a repair manual - that should show you what you need to know.

Have you tried just tightening the valve cover bolts evenly to see if that fixes the problem?
car has 140k miles, so i would doubt that its simply "loose"... new gaskets are less than $15, and if I can do it myself in 2 hours, then why not? lol

PS: THANK YOU For that manual. Thats all I needed! it shows the bolts holding it and the torque specs for reinstalling the bolts.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Cover gasket is baked almost hard as rock, not pliable anymore,

Get a new cover gasket, (4) spark plug tube seals, some RTV, and run with it.

USE A TORQUE WRENCH when securing cover bolts to cylinder head... the cover is plastic ....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Aug 4 2010, 03:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347139
Cover gasket is baked almost hard as rock, not pliable anymore,

Get a new cover gasket, (4) spark plug tube seals, some RTV, and run with it.

USE A TORQUE WRENCH when securing cover bolts to cylinder head... the cover is plastic ....
can i get all of that at a local auto parts store? I don't know what tube seals look like and i have no idea wtf RTV is haha

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (AmongthechosenX @ Aug 4 2010, 04:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347166
can i get all of that at a local auto parts store?
Yes, though not an everday sale for them, they may have to order... we keep it all on the shelf at our place.

I don't know what tube seals look like and i have no idea wtf RTV is (silicone goo)

·
Registered
546 Posts
QUOTE (AmongthechosenX @ Aug 4 2010, 04:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347166
can i get all of that at a local auto parts store? I don't know what tube seals look like and i have no idea wtf RTV is haha
I used a Felpro gasket set from Advance Auto. It had all the parts you will need. And instructions. You shouldn't need RTV unless your cover is warped.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Torque the bolts in increments and wait a few minutes between rounds. The plastic covers break really easy if the gasket does not have time to settle between rounds of increments.

Miles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts