Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

do you changed interior ligth for led's ? i wonder if the plastic cover are easy to remove, also the licence plate one too ?

i usually destroy the plastic cap when i remove it ( last experience on my lexus )

tanks !

·
Registered
790 Posts
I don't have a single factory incandescent left, they are all very easy to change. If you break it your doing it wrong haha.. The owners manual tells you how to correctly change them all.

·
22,788 Posts
No factory bulbs here, either. LED "all the way." I would suggest you run down to the auto parts store and buy yourself a set of "plastic" trim tools. Usually in a set of 5 ($5-10). Use the narrower (smaller) one to pry the lens off.

Or, you can take a very small flat screwdriver (tip overlayed with a piece of electrical tape to prevent damage to the plastic lens and the surrounding bezel). "Carefully" remove the lens. Easy to scratch these things if you're not careful.

Remove the bulb with the plastic trim tool. If you use a screwdriver or metal object and cross those two connector clips, you'll blow your fuse under the dash. Not life threatening, but a pain in the a$$ to have to replace. Remember, most LED's are "polarity specific." If it doesn't light up, take it out, turn it around. Bingo!

My suggestion is to watch one of several YouTube videos that are available which shows you just how simple this is. Take your phone out to the car and recall the video if you're not sure. Follow along step-by-step.

·
22,788 Posts
Try eBay using search criteria like, "31mm festoon. SMD LED." That's pretty normal size for the map, dome, trunk and vanity lights. The vanity sockets may be a bit shorter but I want to say the 31mm fit in there. (I've bought so many LED's from eBay I can't remember them all. Did 4 vehicles dirt cheap.) Then you can select from 4, 6, 8, up to 60 LED configurations. Also sort that list by "Cheapest plus Shipping." Lots of selections.

Look in my "Garage" for Ingrid's mods and you get an idea what I'm running in my bulb holders.

Here's an example: http://bit.ly/17txTKP

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've been meaning to get an LED replacement trunk light. Needs some brightening there. I prefer the slightly warmer tint of hot wires elsewhere.

Geoff

·
Registered
654 Posts
Thinking of this as well. This video looks like a good one (maybe someone who has done it can verify but looks the same as the GT):

·
22,788 Posts
Instead of a bulb for the trunk, what about an LED bar?
Did the LED bar in my MD's trunk. Two, one running outward on each side from the lens housing. It's perfect. 3M tape allows for easy accessibility to attach up on the underside of the deck.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Quick question about the rear "luggage" light. I have replaced all the other interior lights with no issues. The rear luggage light I could not pry off, and I wanted to verify before I tried really, really hard.

I have attached a pic of the light inside the hatch area. Do I pry the light out between the felt and the black plastic rim or do I pry the clear lens out and leave the black trim attached to the car?

In the pic I attached, I placed a red and yellow arrow to point out the areas I mean. Once I get confirmation as to where to use some muscle I'll pry away. The LEDs look good in the car so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
807 Posts
Quick question about the rear "luggage" light. I have replaced all the other interior lights with no issues. The rear luggage light I could not pry off, and I wanted to verify before I tried really, really hard.

I have attached a pic of the light inside the hatch area. Do I pry the light out between the felt and the black plastic rim or do I pry the clear lens out and leave the black trim attached to the car?

In the pic I attached, I placed a red and yellow arrow to point out the areas I mean. Once I get confirmation as to where to use some muscle I'll pry away. The LEDs look good in the car so far.
If its like my Tucson you will pry between the felt and plastic trim, the whole thing comes out. There is a clip on the RHS that needs to be pushed in to allow the housing to be pulled out. Best thing to use is a plastic trim removal tool. Mine was really tight coming out also

·
22,788 Posts
Caveat: Be careful with the clip. It's easily breakable. Wanna know how I know this? :wink2: And plastic trim tools are your best friend!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I wondered about the prying point also. The manual is not real clear on it. I guess my next step is to get some plastic trim tools (or maybe a plastic knife).

Geoff

·
22,788 Posts
If it breaks, I bought another housing...came to about $7. You can bet I was careful with this one!&

I haven't seen the inside of a GT's trunk. Is the lamp up under the rear deck and below the window area? Is that upper deck carpeted on top? If not, a small blade screwdriver inserted on the clip will do nicely. Simply push the clip in a bit and pull that side down with your fingers. There are tabs on the other end that hold that side securely to the deck mounting hole.

If there is carpeted area around the mounting hole, pull downward on the housing from one side. If it's resistant, pull on the opposite side. I'd try the right hand side first. Also, if there's carpet there, I'm not sure how the 3M tape would stay attached if running a LED strip. If metal, no problem. Alcohol any area prior to using 3M tape. Holds better.

One more suggestion: if the area is carpeted, maybe you could run wires behind the carpeted area to a bare, painted surface for the LED strip mounting. "IF," that is, you're considering this type lighting. Some call it a LED strip, some call it a LED bar. Either/Or. I've said both.

·
22,788 Posts
Oops. Sorry. Was confusing this design back there on the GT with that of the coupe. Forget the above post. Been helping folks for the past several days with LED installs on their MD's. Was thinking "conventional trunk." My brain locked up, AGAIN.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts