Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am considering changing my factory HID headlight bulbs to a whiter color temp. From what I can tell reading online, they are D3S bulbs.

my question is - some say you have to remove the headlight assembly, which also requires removing the bumper cover. But I can easily reach the back of the headlight when it is installed and it looks simple enough to twist the dust cover off. Why does the light assembly have to come out of the car? Can’t I just remove the dust cover and pop out the old bulb and in a new one?

·
Registered
918 Posts
You didn’t put in your model year in your profile but I’m guessing you have the XL model between 2013-2018. There is no need to take off your headlight assembly because there is access, it might be a tad tight behind the driver side but it’s definitely doable. Just have a little patience and you’ll have it out in no time, once you do it the first time then the next time should be a breeze. GL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
My sister has a 2015 Santa Fe XL (7 seater) and she wants to replace her headlights. She doesn't want to remove the bumper cover, and she can see where the headlight should come out, but she can't seem to get it out. Is there a trick to it? Are there clips, or tabs? Should she twist it, or pinch it? She found videos on youtube but said that hers looks a little different as there is a metal (or silver colored) plate that shes not seeing in the videos. Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
918 Posts
My sister has a 2015 Santa Fe XL (7 seater) and she wants to replace her headlights. She doesn't want to remove the bumper cover, and she can see where the headlight should come out, but she can't seem to get it out. Is there a trick to it? Are there clips, or tabs? Should she twist it, or pinch it? She found videos on youtube but said that hers looks a little different as there is a metal (or silver colored) plate that shes not seeing in the videos. Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Hmm this HID thread again , please read up on this thread and it should help and guide you to remove the clips.

How To Remove D3S HID Bulb?

I noticed this link for Tapatalk still doesn’t work and I’m using an IPhone, please scroll down in this section and you should see this thread replacing Xenon HID headlamp. Click on the proper link provided towards the end of that thread and it should take you to the right one.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Try this.......

LINK

Reactions: wakechick

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hmm this HID thread again , please read up on this thread and it should help and guide you to remove the clips.

How To Remove D3S HID Bulb?

I noticed this link for Tapatalk still doesn’t work and I’m using an IPhone, please scroll down in this section and you should see this thread replacing Xenon HID headlamp. Click on the proper link provided towards the end of that thread and it should take you to the right one.

Thanks for sharing the link to that thread so quickly, I really appreciate it.
But now there's a new issue... she was unable to get to that bulb.Turns out they're not HID headlights on her Santa Fe, she wanted to replace the current bulbs with HID ones (I do not know what her current bulbs are?) but the housing doesn't look at all like in the photos you guys posted, and clips were in different places, etc.
So she took it to the dealership and they told her that she could only replace the bulbs with factory bulbs and that they'd cost $300 each! There's no way that's the only option! I know I've read multiple posts on here about many people swapping out bulbs themselves, so the dealership must be bullshitting her, correct?
Problem is we don't now enough about this to argue with the dealership...
Any suggestions on what we can say to the dealership would be much appreciated...
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hyundai uses proprietary connectors for their halogen H7 (non-HID) bulbs.

If the vehicle in question did not come with factory HID bulbs then it must have H7 bulbs. The bulbs are held by something that looks like this:

What this means is that there is no easy way to retrofit HID or LED bulbs. Aftermarket H7 HID and LED bulbs depend on the car using a wire clip to hold the bulbs, which is not the case here. You can either try adapters of dubious quality, or buy entirely new lamp housings. A new lamp housing with HID is $1200 per side. Or you could perhaps dig around your local junkyards.

No halogen H7 costs $300 each.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Hmm, agreed with Spira and if your SF doesn’t come with HID there’s no way those bulbs will cost that much. Can you take a few pictures behind the dust cover for us to see so that we can help you out? Also my buddy Basshound converted his halogen to HID and he loves it, the doesn’t even cost that much to convert to HID so yeah your dealership are full of BULLS.HIT!!!

Reactions: wakechick

·
Registered
918 Posts
Would you happen to have a link for that?

I’d have to search in this LWB section but I know 100% he converted HID because he wasn’t happy with the LED upgrade. I’ll message him and see if he has any pics so he can post up.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hey Spira. Listen to Dino, lots of great modding experience there.
Here's a link to just a quick blurb I posted about my Opt7 brand HID install on my 2016 base XL with H11B bulbs (H11 is easier if that's what you have.)
I can take some photos and post if helpful, but they're just like all the others. Happy to help with anything (that I can remember from way back in '17 :)
I didn't post a DIY on that entire mod, sorry. Still going strong. I'd probably go for more high end now if I was replacing anything just for better peace of mind.

Finally got around to putting in my Morimoto HIDs - it...

·
Registered
177 Posts
On my 2019 model, both the low and high beams are H7 and both use Hyundai's proprietary holder. So I guess that's off the table...
Ah, sorry. My high beams are the H7s with that plug in socket. Found some nice LEDs for those as DRLs, but they honestly suck as high beams.
My HID low beams are fine for the limited night driving I do.
Good luck with your quest.

·
Registered
918 Posts
So I was wondering, would H11(B) fit into Hyundai's H7 holder socket? Do the tabs and the hole size line up coincidentally?
I actually modified my H7 to fit high power LED bulbs for my DRL/high beam and I did purchased a holder socket and modified it to make it fit. I don’t remember if it was a perfect fit or not BUT I did managed to have it in there snug. I’m sure you can do that as well if you want to convert it to HID as the process should be similar. Just need to be patience and use a dremel and slowly work it in. Hope that helps

1 - 16 of 16 Posts