Hyundai Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can drain only 3.6 liters on my elantra ( 2.0liters, NA, 6 speed transmission). The technician just filled 3.4 liters SP4 back in and did not check the level. Just wondering if that is good enough for my tranny.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sorry to cut in but I have a question. I notice that every 3 weeks or so, my transmission (while in a lower gear, going maybe 20mph) will slip. This happens then I'm good for 3 weeks or a month or so.

It does it for a second and then everything is fine again.

I understand this is a sealed system.

My question is - can fluid go low in a "sealed system?" I have about 148K miles on the car and I've driven it for 5 years in snow and mountain terrain. Can the fluid burn itself up and get lower, thus causing the occasional slip?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thank you for the information. I guess I just have to crawl under and start looking for leaks. In the event I don't see anything, I'm assuming the proper course of action would be to take it in to a tranny shop and explain the very limited and occasional slip, and see what comes of that. The only thing I'm afraid of is that they will all tell me I need a new transmission.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ok so I don't see any leaks. My next question -

can 5 years of "severe use" going up and down the Rockies cause the transmission fluid in a sealed system to degradate, such that the level of fluid is the same but the fluid itself becomes not good anymore??

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Ok so I don't see any leaks. My next question -

can 5 years of "severe use" going up and down the Rockies cause the transmission fluid in a sealed system to degradate, such that the level of fluid is the same but the fluid itself becomes not good anymore??
Not a "sealed" system,, free to change ATF at any time you desire...

No such thing as "Lifetime" ATF

Have we scanned the thing to see if any DTC hiding in memory ??

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm caught in a conundrum with the horror stories on the web...new fluid will ruin the transmission? (as I have not had periodic xmission fluid changes)...

most people say to leave it alone, or change the fluid gradually, 10% or so at a time...

Also, forgive me...have not had it scanned. Will try to get that done today or some time this week.

·
Registered
55 Posts
'hanksgarage' - 145K on the original tranny fluid? I believe the manual calls for changing at 60K intervals. The debate is normally whether to introduce new fluid, which could dislodge dirt and cause further problems, or leave it be even though it's failing.

If it were me, and I'm by no means a professional mechanic, I'd do a drain and fill 3 or more times at intervals to slowly introduce fresh fluid. Drain and fill, drive for a few weeks and see how it reacts. If all is well, repeat again and again...until the fluid is clean. I wouldn't do a flush (machine full replacement), as IMO that would be much more likely to cause issues.

If you're out of warranty, you can consider using other suitable/compatible fluids besides OEM, which is pricey. Good luck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It slipped one or two more times since my last post, but only for a half-second each time. Then it fixes itself. There is no grinding. I brought it into a xmission shop and they said that the fluid level is fine and there is no leak. They commented that from the looks of the vehicle, it doesn't strike them as a transmission that is going bad (whatever that means).

I have done a bit of research and I'm thinking that it can be the transmission speed sensor. For a 2012 Hyundai Elantra, this sensor contains both the input sensor and the output sensor and is located inside the transmission pan.

The part number that I'm coming up with is 42620-26000 and it costs about $80. I would not attempt this myself. I'm thinking about getting quotes from a Hyundai dealer and asking them to reuse the old fluid.

Thoughts???

I'm not getting any error codes but the more I think about this and run it through my mind it makes sense that it's just the sensor that needs replacing. Since my last post, I drove from Colorado to North Carolina. And then two months later, I drove from North Carolina to Nevada.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would just drain and fill with new fluid, drive it, and see if the problem goes away. The new fluid may cure the very occasional slipping you are experiencing. The additives in your old ATF fluid are wearing out and a bit of new fluid may be just the thing to revitalize your system.

·
Registered
888 Posts
My 2012 manual recommends the following ATF: "MICHANG ATF SP-IV, SK ATF SP-IV NOCA ATF SP-IV, HYUNDAI genuine ATF SP-IV or other brands meeting the above spec approved by Hyundai Motor Co.". I am having great difficulty finding fluid that is acceptable on line, especially at Amazon. Can anyone make a recommendation??? Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can drain only 3.6 liters on my elantra ( 2.0liters, NA, 6 speed transmission). The technician just filled 3.4 liters SP4 back in and did not check the level. Just wondering if that is good enough for my tranny.
When shall I change my transmission fluid to mr 2017 elantra with 76k?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Thanks. But I don't want to risk new fluid in a vehicle with 149K and no previous ATF changes.
You are being given sound advice about changing the fluid. If you want to go spending money changing sensors that's your deal, but if for the unlikely reason that a fluid change will 'kill' your tranny, it was dead already. Do a drain and fill, and get it over with. You will be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My 2012 manual recommends the following ATF: "MICHANG ATF SP-IV, SK ATF SP-IV NOCA ATF SP-IV, HYUNDAI genuine ATF SP-IV or other brands meeting the above spec approved by Hyundai Motor Co.". I am having great difficulty finding fluid that is acceptable on line, especially at Amazon. Can anyone make a recommendation??? Thanks.
I have redline mtl 80

41 - 57 of 57 Posts