Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I have a 2004 Hyundai Elantra XD that has stopped wanting to work with all keys!

Sounding very similar to some of the stories here, and have spoken to my auto locksmith who said it will have to go to Hyundai which I would like to avoid as the cars probably not worth what they will charge!!

I can't spot a tin box under the steering wheel as was said on the 99 models so was wondering if anyone had any similar issues with these/know how to bypass the immobiliser to get these going again!

Thanks,

Pat.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,720 Posts
Hi I have a 2004 Hyundai Elantra XD that has stopped wanting to work with all keys!
Hi Pat. Does the immobiliser warning light come on when you first switch the ignition on? The symbol is a car with a key inside...

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, thanks for the reply!!

It does, it was coming on as a solid light. Hence me thinking it was an issue with the immobiliser and wanting to bypass.

I have tried few things and have now disconnected the power from the transponder ring (as nothing else had worked) and the immobiliser light went from being solid to flashing when the key is first inserted and then clearing off the display. My partners Subaru does the same thing and starts, however this still will not even try and go.

Once immobiliser light disappears I try to crank it and nothing:(

If I re-insert the power/control cable to the transponder antenna it goes back to being a solid immobiliser light and doing the same thing as well.

·
Registered
14,720 Posts
It does, it was coming on as a solid light. Hence me thinking it was an issue with the immobiliser and wanting to bypass.
Assuming Australian models are fitted with the same SMARTRA immobiliser as European models, the immobiliser warning light is supposed to be on solid. It should switch off while the engine is cranking once start has been authorised. It should also switch off after the ignition has been left switched on for a minute or so if the engine has not been cranked. The light flashing, or not illuminating at all are indications that there is an immobiliser fault.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes it is a Australian model!

That's good to know thanks for that. Do you know if there's anyway to bypass the immobiliser system??

·
Registered
14,720 Posts
Do you know if there's anyway to bypass the immobiliser system??
The immobiliser is an internal function of the engine ECU so there isn't any way to bypass it. You would need another engine ECU and the ignition keys that are coded to it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry about the slow reply!

Unreal shall get a new ECU and keys and give that a go and let you know the results!

Thanks!

·
Registered
14,720 Posts
What makes you think the immobiliser is causing the problem? Are there immobiliser trouble codes being logged?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts