Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wife was backing up on sat. and smashed out our garage door by rear spoiler:crying2:

It gets kinda bad,,,who can share experience how to buff out huge scratch then? Would be appreciated for any ideas.....thanks

·
Registered
13,351 Posts
Picture would be nice, if you can upload one.

There are numerous ways to do it, but you probably have water based paint and need to go lightly. You can use DuPont buffing compound, commonly availble anywhere, go WITH the scratch, and go LIGHTLY!

Again, a pic would be nice to see if it's something you can do, or advise (like, if you can live with a bit of noticeablity...

·
Registered
181 Posts
my wife was backing up on sat. and smashed out our garage door by rear spoiler:crying2:

It gets kinda bad,,,who can share experience how to buff out huge scratch then? Would be appreciated for any ideas.....thanks
There is a lot of YouTube DIY videos, on how to do this...

Keep truckin'

·
Registered
08 Santa Fe 2.7 Automatic
276 Posts
if it's just in the clear coat spray some water on it. if it goes away than it's just the clear and you can buff. otherwise you'll have to get it painted. unless there's paint from garage that's a different story but it still can be taken off.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Run your fingernail through the scratch. If you can pick at it, the clearcoat has been penetrated to the paint layer and likely through to the primer.

Pictures will greatly help so the least invasive solution can be suggested. If its paint residue to buff out, a 3000 grit sandpaper followed by a polish and then wax should be enough to buff it out and make it much better. Sometimes, getting it to 80% of what it was is enough - all depends on how perfect the fix intended is.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Will need a pic here to see if it can be buffed out.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Like the others have said, it's hard to recommend a method without actually seeing the damage. We had a pretty bad scratch in the hood of our Tucson, and I used the following method with great success. The scratch is gone, and the paint finish has maintained its gloss.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts