Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 2010 Santa Fe and can't seem to adjust the head rests to move them further back. They seem to slant towards the front of the car which is hard on the neck. I can move them up and down but not back. According to the manual I should be able to pull them forward and then they will snap back to the back position but that doesn't seem to work. Also , I'm not sure how far I can pull them forward.

Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
QUOTE (jasonb72 @ May 23 2010, 04:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325633
Hi,
I have a 2010 Santa Fe and can't seem to adjust the head rests to move them further back. They seem to slant towards the front of the car which is hard on the neck. I can move them up and down but not back. According to the manual I should be able to pull them forward and then they will snap back to the back position but that doesn't seem to work. Also , I'm not sure how far I can pull them forward.

Thanks
Jason
They can only go just so far forward before they go clear to the rear position again.

Many people, including my wife, was not happy with the head rest positions. She thought they were too far forward. I thought they were just right.

In your case, you may be like my wife in that they cannot go far enough back to be comfortable.

·
Registered
202 Posts
QUOTE (jasonb72 @ May 23 2010, 07:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325633
Hi,

Thanks
Jason
You may have to jerk the snot outta them to get them to spring back! i had to do that with mine before they would move. Pull them forward and slightly down really hard (again, may have to jerk!) and they should release. They're pretty tough - I don't think you will damage them unless you really abuse them!

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
It's like a ratchet.... pull, release, pull, release, etc. It keeps creeping forward and then snaps all the way back before starting over again.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I agree with the positioning of them - too far forward.
When I first took ownership, I either removed mine or installed them backwards because my neck was so sore from the factory position. Finally when neither of these solutions were adequate over the long term, I decided to 'fix' the problem.

I took the cushioning of the head rest off (it's not that hard actually) exposing the hollow plastic form and bend in the steel rods leading into it. I then placed each rod in a vice just under the bend one-at-a-time and slowly pulled so as to straighten the angle of the bend. I was worried that it might be tempered steel an thus break but it bent just fine.
The angle of the bend in the head rest is now about half what it was and my head rest sits just perfectly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
jasonb72, were you able to figure out how to snap the headrests back? i agree with you and have the same issue. I have pulled on them so hard that I thought it was going to snap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The headrest ratches 3 positions but none of them solves the problem of being too far forward. Any length of time in the car & you have a sore neck. So I reversed them & put them in backwards. That solved the problem for me. :grin:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I ended up doing the same thing, reversing them. When I talked to the salesman I bought the car from, he noted that many people have complained about this and that he reversed the ones in both of his cars. I hope they fix this and the radio blank display issue before I am ready to buy another one1

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (rocky17 @ Nov 18 2010, 02:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372792
The headrest ratches 3 positions but none of them solves the problem of being too far forward. Any length of time in the car & you have a sore neck. So I reversed them & put them in backwards. That solved the problem for me. :grin:
I have a 2008 model and that's what I did too. It was the only easy solution.

·
Registered
113 Posts
QUOTE (rocky17 @ Nov 18 2010, 11:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372792
Of course, if you're in a crash and get injured you better hope you have time to switch the head restraints back. That's like removing an airbag. A dealer switching them around would be in very serious trouble if caught...

They're not headrests - you shouldn't even be touching them during normal driving. Raise them up so the top is above the driver's ears.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
2010 models don't ratchet, as far as I know. I tugged on mine when new and they didn't budge so I just let it be. Honestly, though, it doesn't bother me one bit; I quite like the positioning of the headrests. I can rest my head on them and see straight ahead on a long drive so I'm not constantly craning my neck forward.

·
Registered
42 Posts
QUOTE (Khyron @ Nov 18 2010, 04:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372830
Of course, if you're in a crash and get injured you better hope you have time to switch the head restraints back. That's like removing an airbag. A dealer switching them around would be in very serious trouble if caught...

They're not headrests - you shouldn't even be touching them during normal driving. Raise them up so the top is above the driver's ears.
Why do you say that they'd have to be switched back? for insurance reasons? is this just your opinion or do you have a reliable source for this? I am 6'5" and could not find any comfortable position for the restraints that did not hurt my neck

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Part of the difference in perception over the angle of the headrests is a function of the angle that drivers' prefer in their seat backs. I had to swap the headrest around on my wife's Grand Caravan because she prefers a more upright posture in the seat back, and that in turn causes the headrest to be too far forward, pushing her head forward into an uncomfortable position. Many people, especially the shorter ones, have the same "head forward" issues with the headrests on a Boeing 777. If you're familiar with the latter, you'll know what people are griping about. The headrest protrudes forward beyond the back of the seat, and when your shoulders sit back into the seat, your head is pushed forward.

In an upright seat position in many vehicles, there's constant contact with the headrest for some people, pushing their heads forward and creating discomfort to their necks. Many headrests don't allow for any adjustment to remedy this. A somewhat reclined position where the tops of the shoulders don't quite touch the seat back is a position where you won't be touching the headrest all the time, but that's not a preferred seat position for some people. Of some added interest -- notice the lumbar support and shape of the back of the seat that allows one to sit comfortably without the upper shoulders touching the seat back, and how that impacts tall vs. short people. That's something else that causes owners to have such varied opinions of the "fit" of the car.

·
Registered
113 Posts
QUOTE (javon7065 @ Nov 19 2010, 07:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372985
Why do you say that they'd have to be switched back? for insurance reasons? is this just your opinion or do you have a reliable source for this? I am 6'5" and could not find any comfortable position for the restraints that did not hurt my neck
Insurance, and legality.

Head restraints are a passive (or now often active) safety system. All the crash test results are done with the head restraints in the correct position. For all you know, in the inverted position, it could snap your neck in a crash instead of restraining it.

Unless the manual says they are reversible, and they have been crashed in both positions, they are not supposed to be. Consider if you're in a crash and killed, and your family sues Hyundai and your restraints are bent/reversed. Hyundai did not crash test them in that position - what do you think will be the outcome of that case?

Also many states have strict laws about tampering with "safety systems" which would cover head restraints.

So it's your risk to take (and frankly I think even upside down and backwards they appear to provide more protection than the stumps of fabric we were using 10 years ago).

This issue isn't just Hyundai - to meet the new crash standards many makes have forward centric HRs - like Toyota, Ford, etc and lots of people complain that it's different. Most recline back a few extra degrees and it's fine.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/He.../PEA/Index.html

Of course, one could ask why it's even possible to remove them then...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Here is a GM technet to dealers:

Dealership personnel are not to remove and/or reposition head restraints (head rests) backwards in the front seat for any reason. Nor is the head restraint to be altered in any manner from the "as received" design. The position of the head restraint is required by law. Repositioning the head restraint backward may render the vehicle noncompliant with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.
Customers should be advised not to remove the head restraints. The head restraint is part of the seat system that is designed for occupant protection during a crash event. The seat works together with the head restraint to help protect occupants from head and neck injury.

Models that have these design requirements include 2009-10 Impala, CTS, Acadia, Traverse, Enclave, and 2010 LaCrosse.

Customers should be advised to change the seatback recline angle as little as necessary to achieve a more comfortable position while ensuring the seating position and the head restraint height is positioned appropriately as described in the owner manual.

Rear seat head restraints also should not be removed or repositioned unless the ability to do so is described in the owner manual.

·
Registered
42 Posts
QUOTE (Khyron @ Nov 19 2010, 01:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373043
Insurance, and legality.

Head restraints are a passive (or now often active) safety system. All the crash test results are done with the head restraints in the correct position. For all you know, in the inverted position, it could snap your neck in a crash instead of restraining it.

Unless the manual says they are reversible, and they have been crashed in both positions, they are not supposed to be. Consider if you're in a crash and killed, and your family sues Hyundai and your restraints are bent/reversed. Hyundai did not crash test them in that position - what do you think will be the outcome of that case?

Also many states have strict laws about tampering with "safety systems" which would cover head restraints.

So it's your risk to take (and frankly I think even upside down and backwards they appear to provide more protection than the stumps of fabric we were using 10 years ago).

This issue isn't just Hyundai - to meet the new crash standards many makes have forward centric HRs - like Toyota, Ford, etc and lots of people complain that it's different. Most recline back a few extra degrees and it's fine.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/He.../PEA/Index.html

Of course, one could ask why it's even possible to remove them then...
****, now I have to seriously re-evaluate having them that way. It was easier when I wasn't reading stuff like this although I knew in the back of my head that they are not designed to be like this. And I too agree with your point about them better than what was around years ago. Even the way they are, they are much taller than the old ones and would appear to provide some type of protection albeit not as good as the if they were in the right position. I thank you for the information

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Nov 18 2010, 10:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372852
2010 models don't ratchet, as far as I know. I tugged on mine when new and they didn't budge so I just let it be. Honestly, though, it doesn't bother me one bit; I quite like the positioning of the headrests. I can rest my head on them and see straight ahead on a long drive so I'm not constantly craning my neck forward.
Picked up my new 2010 Santa Fe 7 seat Premium yesterday and it DOES have a 3 position headrest. I can pull it forward 3 times and then it reverts to the back position again. Even with this, I still find that the back position is too far forward. Drove from Warrington to Lanark (south of Glasgow) and neck was rather painful! Problem with test drives is they aren't for that length of time or distance!

·
Registered
212 Posts
QUOTE (javon7065 @ Nov 19 2010, 07:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372985
Like I mentioned in a previous post, the metal in the rests is soft enough that it can be bent without heating. I tried reversing them myself (I am the same height as you) and I found they became useless as both a passive restraint system and a headrest. So, I took the padding off, stuck each bar in a vice just below the bend and slowly bent the steel rods closer to straight. They came out perfect.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
QUOTE (Ianthescot @ Nov 20 2010, 01:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373417
Picked up my new 2010 Santa Fe 7 seat Premium yesterday and it DOES have a 3 position headrest. I can pull it forward 3 times and then it reverts to the back position again. Even with this, I still find that the back position is too far forward. Drove from Warrington to Lanark (south of Glasgow) and neck was rather painful! Problem with test drives is they aren't for that length of time or distance!
Must be a feature for outside North America, then because I checked mine and they do NOT adjust.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts