Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
FWIW I own a 2015 Camry, but I currently am driving a 2019 Camry SE rental for 2 weeks now while my car is in the body shop. Just a few days ago I test drove a 2020 Sonata Sport (Canadian trim similar to the SEL or SEL Plus). I am planning on getting a new car in the next 5-6 months and the 2020 Camry SE vs 2020 Sonata Sport will probably be what it boils down to. Here are some of my thoughts:

Looks:
I like them both, but the Sonata definitely has more presence and overall is a better looking car IMO.

Interior:
They are both good but I’d say the Sonata edges out a bit. The feel of the dash, door panels, etc is a little better in the Sonata. Also the design looks more modern (which it is) due to the “tablet” infotainment which is in style now. The Camry is one of the last midsize sedans that has the screen planted in the dash. And as corny as this is the Sonata door close “thump” is better than the Camry which feels cheaper.

Tech:
Sonata wins. The driver assists are much more complete. Camry has lane departure assist, adaptive cruise, and the emergency stop, but it doesn’t have lane tracing like the Sonata and the adaptive cruise doesn’t work in stop and go driving like the Sonata. The interface in the infotainment screen is also nicer/more modern on Sonata.

Ride:
Very close, but on bumpy roads the Camry feels smoother and more solid. I am not sure if it is because of the suspension or because the Sonata had bigger wheels (18 inch on Sonata vs 17 inch on the 2019 Camry rental I have).

Driving/acceleration:
Again, very close. The Sonata with the 1.6T seems to have a bit better torque feel off the line in stop and go, but in normal driving it seems pretty close to the Camry NA 2.5. The transmission shifts seem a bit more pronounced in the Sonata. Hard to totally compare though because my short drive in the Sonata didn’t go on the highway and the car was literally brand new (like 6km on it) vs the Camry I am driving which is broken in with 19,000km.

Content for price:
Sonata wins here. Looking just at MSRP, when you compare the Sonata Sport to the Camry SE with Upgrade package (closest price match), the Sonata has more bells and whistles, like heated steering wheel, and panoramic sunroof.

So, looking at that list so far, it seems like the Sonata is the winner. That said there are a few factors which keep the Camry pretty close in the running and which may sway me back to Toyota:

1. AWD is coming in the next couple months for the Camry, which can be pretty helpful in Canada. I was actually leaning toward the Nissan Altima for a while because of the AWD option, but it dropped way down my list when Toyota announced it.

2. More proven design. The Camry doesn’t look as fresh because it was designed in 2018, but at least that means it has had 2 years to have any kinks worked out, vs the Sonata which is totally new and has totally new engines.

3. I put on higher than average mileage in the year, about 32,000-35,000km a year (say 22,000mi). My plan will be to keep it around 5 years/100,000mi, and Toyota’s at that mileage seem to hold their value much better than Hyundai.

4. I will be trading in a Toyota which gives me a loyalty discount (1% on financing) if I buy another Toyota.

5. My Toyota has given me basically zero problems in 5 years, while some of my friends who bought Hyundai cars and SUVs in the same era (2013-2016) have had some pretty big issues. I know this is a Hyundai forum so no offence there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FWIW I own a 2015 Camry, but I currently am driving a 2019 Camry SE rental for 2 weeks now while my car is in the body shop. Just a few days ago I test drove a 2020 Sonata Sport (Canadian trim similar to the SEL or SEL Plus). I am planning on getting a new car in the next 5-6 months and the 2020 Camry SE vs 2020 Sonata Sport will probably be what it boils down to. Here are some of my thoughts:

Looks:
I like them both, but the Sonata definitely has more presence and overall is a better looking car IMO.

Interior:
They are both good but I’d say the Sonata edges out a bit. The feel of the dash, door panels, etc is a little better in the Sonata. Also the design looks more modern (which it is) due to the “tablet” infotainment which is in style now. The Camry is one of the last midsize sedans that has the screen planted in the dash. And as corny as this is the Sonata door close “thump” is better than the Camry which feels cheaper.

Tech:
Sonata wins. The driver assists are much more complete. Camry has lane departure assist, adaptive cruise, and the emergency stop, but it doesn’t have lane tracing like the Sonata and the adaptive cruise doesn’t work in stop and go driving like the Sonata. The interface in the infotainment screen is also nicer/more modern on Sonata.

Ride:
Very close, but on bumpy roads the Camry feels smoother and more solid. I am not sure if it is because of the suspension or because the Sonata had bigger wheels (18 inch on Sonata vs 17 inch on the 2019 Camry rental I have).

Driving/acceleration:
Again, very close. The Sonata with the 1.6T seems to have a bit better torque feel off the line in stop and go, but in normal driving it seems pretty close to the Camry NA 2.5. The transmission shifts seem a bit more pronounced in the Sonata. Hard to totally compare though because my short drive in the Sonata didn’t go on the highway and the car was literally brand new (like 6km on it) vs the Camry I am driving which is broken in with 19,000km.

Content for price:
Sonata wins here. Looking just at MSRP, when you compare the Sonata Sport to the Camry SE with Upgrade package (closest price match), the Sonata has more bells and whistles, like heated steering wheel, and panoramic sunroof.

So, looking at that list so far, it seems like the Sonata is the winner. That said there are a few factors which keep the Camry pretty close in the running and which may sway me back to Toyota:

1. AWD is coming in the next couple months for the Camry, which can be pretty helpful in Canada. I was actually leaning toward the Nissan Altima for a while because of the AWD option, but it dropped way down my list when Toyota announced it.

2. More proven design. The Camry doesn’t look as fresh because it was designed in 2018, but at least that means it has had 2 years to have any kinks worked out, vs the Sonata which is totally new and has totally new engines.

3. I put on higher than average mileage in the year, about 32,000-35,000km a year (say 22,000mi). My plan will be to keep it around 5 years/100,000mi, and Toyota’s at that mileage seem to hold their value much better than Hyundai.

4. I will be trading in a Toyota which gives me a loyalty discount (1% on financing) if I buy another Toyota.

5. My Toyota has given me basically zero problems in 5 years, while some of my friends who bought Hyundai cars and SUVs in the same era (2013-2016) have had some pretty big issues. I know this is a Hyundai forum so no offence there.
Thanks for the contribution!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes sir thats me! Thank you. ? I am actually doing one against the Accord this Monday :) anything you want to see?
If you can find a good Canadian pothole road to test the ride vs the Accord that would be nice. I had a 2019 Accord Sport as a rental a few months back and I liked it but from what I remember the ride leaned more on the sporty/stiff side vs the Sonata and Camry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is one thing I am worried about with the Sonata. We have a 2012 Camry, and have had no problems whatsoever with it. I doubt that will be the case with the Sonata. However, it does have a 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty, so hopefully that will cover any major issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2019 Sonata SE is stylish, comfortable, easy to drive, great mpg, low cost of ownership, and has super quick acceleration. Free oil changes and car washes for life, and 10 year/100k mile warranty. All for $17k. What more could you want from a car?

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts