Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
August, went in to have the peeling steering wheel inserts replaced. They replaced them, but the left one wouldn't sit flush and stay clipped in. Took it back, they said they had to order a new one. Went a third time, they claimed to have fixed it. Before i left...same thing still. It was better, but not flush with the wheel. Told them, they said they'd call their warranty people and ask if the steering wheel can be replaced since it's possibly warped. Two weeks later, their service manager is telling me that the inserts and wheel are only a 36k warranty item and that they won't do anything unless their DPSM says so, and that Hyundai is coming out with a new insert that is supposed to seat correctly (smells like bull to me). That was...a month or so ago. I havent' contacted them since, since they were supposed to call me, but anyways, their service is trash. I'm tempted to call them tomorrow. I've even tried myself to get the **** insert to sit, but it won't. What should my next step be? Call them? Call another dealer? Call someone else? I have no clue. I thought it was supposed to be a 60k item, which...gasp, would explain why they replaced them to begin with.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Don't give up till you're satisfied. Persistence pays off. Be sure to leave an appropriate score on the survey.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have found that trimming the clip on the outside helps sit it flush. This is a common problem and should be covered. The correct way to do it is to remove the steering wheel.

Good luck.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
TSB says that steering wheel supposed to be taken apart to replace the ornaments.. they'll pop out, but they dont fit for crap going back together.. I had a set, and was getting ready to take wheel off and apart (remove switches, install ornament, then put switch back) and neighbor come over and did them without taking wheel off..Pain in butt to put into the opening, as the steering wheel material not pliable to allow ornaments to fit well.. maybe when material new they fit, but maybe not after material been flexed about with constant hand gripping to work the material ??

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Tell the dealer this is a safety issue and you are worried it could cause you to loose control of the car. They may respond to that with a bit more urgency. If that doesn't do it, report the problem to NHTSA because something loose on the steering wheel is certainly a safety issue as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Tell the dealer this is a safety issue and you are worried it could cause you to loose control of the car. They may respond to that with a bit more urgency. If that doesn't do it, report the problem to NHTSA because something loose on the steering wheel is certainly a safety issue as far as I am concerned.
This is reverse "Smells like bull" statement.

I would approach it from the standpoint that they promised you they would fix it when new part came in. I would ask SBR if there is a new part number for those pieces (I am also doubting it) and then ask them when they will be able to address the issue. Its not your fault they don't know the warranty procedure (3/36K) and should uphold their promise.

Per chance did you get any of this in writing?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is reverse "Smells like bull" statement.

I would approach it from the standpoint that they promised you they would fix it when new part came in. I would ask SBR if there is a new part number for those pieces (I am also doubting it) and then ask them when they will be able to address the issue. Its not your fault they don't know the warranty procedure (3/36K) and should uphold their promise.

Per chance did you get any of this in writing?
The only thing I got in writing are the receipts for all of the visits

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
The only thing I got in writing are the receipts for all of the visits
That could make things more difficult. However I would be insistent that they promised a fix and you would like to have that fix delivered.

They took it apart and now they need to make it right.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That could make things more difficult. However I would be insistent that they promised a fix and you would like to have that fix delivered.

They took it apart and now they need to make it right.
I'd think three receipts would help since it shows the complaint and their so called fixes. They're normal repair receipts. Even had multipoint on all of them

·
Registered
137 Posts
Have you spoken with the service manager? If not, and you're still getting the run around from the service adviser, tell him you're sick of this and that you would like to speak with the service manager. Hammer it out with him; obviously the grease monkeys don't know what they're doing.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
uh....i had mine replaced at 59,XXX miles on purpose. i had made a list of items that needed adjusted, replaced etc. talked to service writer about it all. one of the items on the list was the left side insert - when wifey started driving, her wedding ring rubbed the gray paint off...

all i got from them was, we'll fix it - warranty. it was replaced. at the time, kind of wished both had been done because the two were ever so slightly off in color. the original one had been slightly discolored from cleaning and exposed to elements...where as the new one was bright and clean!

maybe try another dealer?

·
Banned
532 Posts
It's this type action and comment that really pisses me off.

If your not mature enough to discuss your concern, follow the prescribed complaint procedure all the way through and then work toward a resolution then you shouldn't be driving.

People need to work toward a mutually satisfactory result and not live on idol threat, cheap shots or silly actions that are designed for reaction.

jd

·
Registered
343 Posts
uh....i had mine replaced at 59,XXX miles on purpose. i had made a list of items that needed adjusted, replaced etc. talked to service writer about it all. one of the items on the list was the left side insert...

all i got from them was, we'll fix it - warranty. it was replaced.
+1 on this. I have a little over 56K miles on my 2011 GLS. Had it in the shop to replace a leaking front right axle assembly (under warranty). Service writer said no problem to replacing the inserts. Only difference for me is they replaced both sides. The left one didn't fit snugly so when I took it back to have them replace the fuel line clip that they had to special order, they did something to it but now it's in nice and flush and snug.

Don't let them tell you they can't fix it...

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
+1 on this. I have a little over 56K miles on my 2011 GLS. Had it in the shop to replace a leaking front right axle assembly (under warranty). Service writer said no problem to replacing the inserts. Only difference for me is they replaced both sides. The left one didn't fit snugly so when I took it back to have them replace the fuel line clip that they had to special order, they did something to it but now it's in nice and flush and snug.

Don't let them tell you they can't fix it...
You and Fear have great dealers!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Heh, so while trying to reseat it, I found that the button on that side actually is free. I pulled it out. There's no screw holding it down. lmfao oh man I can't wait til I get home next week to start chewing asses. No wonder this crap won't seat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts