Hyundai Forums banner

How Old Was The Car You Replaced With The Sonata?

10K views 95 replies 82 participants last post by  wludwig 
#1 ·
I was surprised to see how many folks are replacing cars that are, to my standards , still fairly new. I wondered how common this is so I started this thread.

In my case:

I am replacing a 98 Windstar after 181000km (112000 miles) which I owned since it was new. I kept it 2 years longer than the initially planned 10 years mainly due to the economic downturn.

Planning on keeping the Sonata for 8 to 10 years.

#2 ·
Had a 2007 Camry. It was leased and the term was almost up. Hoping to keep the Sonata for 5 years but that's going to be tough. My last 4 cars have been on 3 year leases so it's been a long time since I've keep a car longer than that.

#8 ·
QUOTE (hawk1500 @ May 7 2010, 08:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320720
Sorry, I switch cars fairly often. My last car was a 2006 Mazdaspeed6, and it was 4 years and 3 months old (longest I've had a car) when I leased this one (and obviously plan on giving it back after 3 years). First lease though...wanted to try it out.

Funny...... I had a 2006 mazdaspeed6 with 72K on it. Bought it new and loved it. Warranty was up and I was afraid i would end up spanding a ton of money on repairs before to long so we got the sonata. Its not a sports sedan but its still pretty nice, really happy so far.

#11 ·
I replaced a 7 year old 2003 Infiniti G35 with about 84K miles. It was still a great car.
I will most likely keep the 2011 Sonata at least 5 years, perhaps longer. (Unless the Turbo is too tempting, and I get a big bonus next year!) :grin:

#13 ·
Traded in my 2006 Civic EX coupe. Everyone at work keeps giving me a hard time for getting a new car when my Civic was still perfectly good, lol.
I was just tired of only having two doors and wanted to upgrade to a four door. I didn't know what to get though since all of the sedans out there
were just so boring. Until I saw an advertisement for the new Sonata. Love at first sight. :grin:

#14 ·
QUOTE (Derek-n-Jessie @ May 7 2010, 06:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320735
Funny...... I had a 2006 mazdaspeed6 with 72K on it. Bought it new and loved it. Warranty was up and I was afraid i would end up spanding a ton of money on repairs before to long so we got the sonata. Its not a sports sedan but its still pretty nice, really happy so far.
Really? Nice. Yeah, I loved the speed, but same exact reasons. I was beginning to have random little problems so I got this instead. I do miss the throw you back in your seat feeling though. =)

#15 ·
We traded in a 2010 Toyota Corolla with 15K miles. We bought it last June and we were one of the lucky consumers to experience the accelerator issues. I nearly hit some kid crossing the street! Anyways, my wife had me under strict law to get rid of it as fast as I could... so we welcomed the Sonata into our family!

#20 ·
Traded our 2006 Sonata GL with about 62,000 km for the 2011 Sonata GLS. Our '06 still had a full year of warranty on it but we thought it might be nice to upgrade to a small SUV. Waited for the new Tuscon to arrive only to discover there wasn't enough storage space for our needs. And then the new Sonata arrived on the lot and after that first test drive it was an easy decision. We love our new Sonata. :) We will probably keep the car 4 or 5 years.

#21 ·
Replaced a 2001 Pontiac Bonneville SE with the 2011 Sonata Limited. Bonneville was still in great shape with 67,000 miles but we've had it since new and so we gave ourselves a 43rd wedding anniversary present. We love the Sonata and it is a lot of fun to drive.

#24 ·
I just traded in my 2007 Civic LX Coupe, mostly due to the size. While it was fun to drive, I was a little tired of having only two doors and essentially no back seat. I wasn't planning on trading it any time soon, it had only 37k miles, but I fell in love with the Sonata on television and was sold the first time I saw one in person.

I will likely replace it when it's paid off, but since I have only had it 4 days, it will be several years still.

It is pretty hard not to spend another $1000 on the OEM LED lights from the Korean model and HID lights all around though. So far I am fighting the urge, but who knows how long that will last!

#25 ·
QUOTE (bad1550 @ May 7 2010, 09:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320724
I am trading in my 2010 Prius purchased in January - 5,500 miles for a 2011 Hyundai Sonota GLS

Just waiting for dealer to locate a Pacific Blue

I took the test drive and that sealed deal for me
I just purchased a Pacific Blue GLS with PEP2, floor mats, cargo mat, cargo net and gray interior Thursday night. My dealer also had a Pacific Blue GLS with PEP2, floor mats, iPod cable and tan interior (actually, that was the one I test drove.)

I preferred the gray interior, and would get more use from the cargo mat and cargo net than the iPod cable. I never use my iPod in the car (now that I think about it, I rarely use it at all even though I have my entire music collection on it...over 4300 songs.) The XM radio is what I will have on 99% of the time and it offers the same kind of variety you can get with an iPod.

Traded in a 2006 Chevrolet Impala with 55,800 miles on it. The Impala I purchased new 4 years ago, but it was time for something new. I plan to keep the Sonata 4 years as well.

#26 ·
QUOTE (wozzy @ May 7 2010, 08:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320762
Traded in my 2006 Civic EX coupe. Everyone at work keeps giving me a hard time for getting a new car when my Civic was still perfectly good, lol.
I was just tired of only having two doors and wanted to upgrade to a four door. I didn't know what to get though since all of the sedans out there
were just so boring. Until I saw an advertisement for the new Sonata. Love at first sight. :grin:

QUOTE (Rhyllor @ May 8 2010, 05:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320839
I just traded in my 2007 Civic LX Coupe, mostly due to the size. While it was fun to drive, I was a little tired of having only two doors and essentially no back seat. I wasn't planning on trading it any time soon, it had only 37k miles, but I fell in love with the Sonata on television and was sold the first time I saw one in person.
Lol, same as me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.