Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am approaching 12k on our 2019. Thinking of doing both filters at 12k.
How often are you-guys swapping-out yours?

·
Registered
116 Posts
In my other vehicles I just pull it out and clean it with compressed air and keep using it. That's if it's not all nasty and stinky.
If it's really bad just change it. Usually about 10 bux so not so bad.
Usually every 20k.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD Stormy Sea
154 Posts
I check cabin filter occasionally, and if its full of crud I replace it, or I do it annually (I get spring and fall allergies so changing it helps for sure). I average around 7K to 9K a year. I purchased a Hyundai cabin air filter when I stopped at the dealer for oil filters. When I checked the cabin filter the other day it was pretty dirty (almost 7K miles) so I was going to replace it. I opened up the box with the new filter and found it was the same size but a different (and I would argue, better) design than the original filter from the factory. The new filter had more pleats and fit better (tighter) as well. The original had this strip of foam around the perimeter that seemed to be acting as a seal for a slightly smaller, thinner, and less pleated filter. I had also noticed that I was getting spots on the inside of my windshield where the main defroster vent blew onto the windshield like something was getting past the factory filter. I'd say the factory filter was probably cheaper and was used as some type of cost cutting item. As for the air filter, I check it on occasion by holding it up to daylight. I did it when it was new so I had a starting reference. If it looks bad with more dark areas I replace it. Even with the inspections I will replace the Air Filter every 12-15K miles or 18 months. For some people the the air filter can last longer. It just depends on where you live and drive.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My most recent oil change (18k miles, 10 months ownership) they checked both filters. The engine air filter (factory) was fine, but the cabin air filter was quite dirty and had a few leaves stuck in it. So it seems the cabin filter is the one to check more frequently (of course, being the more difficult of the two to check).

·
Registered
825 Posts
If it's the same as my Tucson, Hyundai recommends replacing the cabin filter every 15k miles and the engine air filter every 30k miles.
I replace the cabin filter every 15k miles to avoid developing odors.

However, air filters get more efficient as they load up with dirt, which closes the larger pores.
So you shouldn't replace the engine filter too often. That just lets more fine dirt through.
Frequent filter checks also give dirt a chance to go through every time you open the filter box.

The best thing to do is install a restriction gauge.
Then you'll know when it's time to replace the filter, no matter the driving conditions.
I put a gauge on my previous Toyota Matrix, which called for 30k mile filter changes.
I replaced the filter when the restriction reached half the recommended limit (11") at 43k miles.
11" of restriction vs 7" with a new filter results in ~1% loss of power at wide open throttle.
I have not put the gauge on the Tucson yet, since I only have 21k miles on it. It's a low priority project.

Cleaning the filter with compressed air can damage it, and do more harm than good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts