Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested to know the cleaning routines of other owners. I've never had a nice as car as this and want to keep it looking good!

·
Registered
932 Posts
QUOTE (sonatahyd @ May 28 2010, 07:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327496
I'm interested to know the cleaning routines of other owners. I've never had a nice as car as this and want to keep it looking good!
I wash mine 1 day before every unpredicted rain. :w00t:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have had my car for 14 days as of today. I have hand washed it 3 times and have run it through the touch less was 3 times!! Only 1 coat of hand wax so far...I am sure many more will come this Summer. I had an older neighbor man that told me that I was going to wash the paint off my last car!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I wash it once a week (like midas says seems just before a rain) I clay barred it once and I have waxed it once. How often should I wax it? Also should I try polish before a wax?

·
Registered
548 Posts
I pamper my cars...

-Hand wash every weekend... and in between if we hit a dirt road or something
-Quick detailer spray every day or so
-Clay bar every two months
-Polish and two coats of wax every month
-Scratch-X in the storage compartment for any minor scuffs I encounter from day to day

My actual detailed regimen is ridiculous and my wife says she wishes I touched her like I do this car... hehe :whistling:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I washed the car and put a good coat of wax on it the first day after I bought it.

Will probably wash it every weekend and wax her every 7-8 weeks.

One thing I do is clean the bug splatter off the front end of the car every day.
Once that stuff dries, it is a pain to get it off.

Also, I found this link from somewhere else on this forum. They are selling their products but still have a lot of good info on car care.

Autoglym - Ask an expert

I’m unsure which type of cleaners to use on the wheels. The Limited has aluminum
alloy wheels with some type of clear coating on them. There are so many different types
of products for wheels and some products are not designed for all types of wheel coatings.

Can someone explain the purpose and how/when to use polish? Is it used after waxing?
How often to polish?

What is “detailer spray”?

Thanks

·
Registered
548 Posts
QUOTE (Modernity @ May 29 2010, 08:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327607
I washed the car and put a good coat of wax on it the first day after I bought it.

Will probably wash it every weekend and wax her every 7-8 weeks.

One thing I do is clean the bug splatter off the front end of the car every day.
Once that stuff dries, it is a pain to get it off.

Also, I found this link from somewhere else on this forum. They are selling their products but still have a lot of good info on car care.

Autoglym - Ask an expert

I’m unsure which type of cleaners to use on the wheels. The Limited has aluminum
alloy wheels with some type of clear coating on them. There are so many different types
of products for wheels and some products are not designed for all types of wheel coatings.

Can someone explain the purpose and how/when to use polish? Is it used after waxing?
How often to polish?

What is “detailer spray”?

Thanks
Go to Meguiars.com and hit up their forums section. You will learn ALL KINDS of stuff about detailing even though they as well are selling their product, but I personally believe in their product. It's all I use. They have an alloy wheel cleaner and an ALL wheel cleaner (doesn't matter what it's made of). You can find a lot of their products at your local walmart or any auto store. Detailer spray is just a quick "detail" spray with hydrophobic polymers to give you a nice shine and clean looking vehicle in between washes etc.

·
Registered
25 Posts
QUOTE (Proprioceptive @ May 29 2010, 10:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327618
Go to Meguiars.com and hit up their forums section. You will learn ALL KINDS of stuff about detailing even though they as well are selling their product, but I personally believe in their product. It's all I use. They have an alloy wheel cleaner and an ALL wheel cleaner (doesn't matter what it's made of). You can find a lot of their products at your local walmart or any auto store. Detailer spray is just a quick "detail" spray with hydrophobic polymers to give you a nice shine and clean looking vehicle in between washes etc.

Yeah, their forums look pretty good. I'll read through the posts, should answer a lot of my issues.

Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
- Hand wash when needed
- Z-2Pro (2-3 layers) every 6 months
- Z-6 Spray when needed
- Z-10 Leather In a Bottle every 2 months

I guess I'm a bit biased to Zaino products...

·
Registered
548 Posts
QUOTE (WuffPack99 @ May 29 2010, 09:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327625
- Hand wash when needed
- Z-2Pro (2-3 layers) every 6 months
- Z-6 Spray when needed
- Z-10 Leather In a Bottle every 2 months

I guess I'm a bit biased to Zaino products...
I'd love to use Zaino.... but the price point! :w00t:

·
Registered
106 Posts
QUOTE (sonatahyd @ May 28 2010, 08:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327496

I guess I am at the other end of the spectrum. This is one of the cheapest cars I have ever owned. I have had the car for 2+ months, if a good rain doesn't clean the dust/pollen off, I run it through the carwash. It has been washed 2-3 times (carwash).

·
Registered
49 Posts
QUOTE (Proprioceptive @ May 29 2010, 01:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327669
I'd love to use Zaino.... but the price point! :w00t:
I hear that a lot, but frankly, I don't get it.

A Z-2Pro bottle is $15 and does my car 20 times - that's one bottle for 10 years!

The ZFX cure for the first layer is pricey, but at 2 - 3 drops every year, that should last 5 years easily.

My Z-10 Leather bottle has been around for 2 years, and I've barely use 15%.

It's an investment upfront, no doubt, but these all last for way longer than you're likely to keep your car :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wash my cars every 3 days. I wet wax every time I wash it. I use meguiars products for everything but the wet wax, for that I use RainX.
I waxed it the day I bought it, and have put 6 more coats on since. I put alot of highway miles on my cars, so I try to keep a nice thick coat of wax on them at all times!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Wow. . . some rather crazy detailing regiments on here. Well with a family (3 young kids one of which is a newborn and a wife) a demanding work schedule and other responsibilities I don't wash my car quite as often as I wish. That being said, once a year I put a nice coat of wax on my cars. I also typically try to clay it once a year (though don't particularly see a need for it for a new car). I hand wash as often as I can, which unfortunately has only been twice since I bought the car 2 months ago. I should be able to get out this weekend and give it a nice wash and polishing. It was almost pointless to spend much time washing it the past two months though as a day after I would wash it there would be a layer of yellow pollen all over the car. Got to love spring time!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The manual says to use the bead test for waxing. Only wax when the water doesn't bead. How long is that usually?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Right now I hand wash my car once every two weeks. We will see how that holds up when it gets cold.
I use the Mequiars Quik Detailer in between washes too.
I already waxed and clayed my car. I will probably use the clay bar once a year, and wax 4 times a year.
I know some people don't think you need to clay a new car. I thought it was needed on mine though. I ran my hand around the car after a wash, and it was rough in a few areas. In my case the drivers side of the bumper, the lip on the trunk, and on both sides of the car below the doors were pretty rough.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts