Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick poll on how often you use "Sport Mode" in your Elantra?

How about Shiftronic?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Sports Mode: About 5 times per week merging and driving a few miles of rush hour traffic in Interstate. Once weekly when using off ramp that crosses 2 lanes of traffic. When climbing steep hills. Taking someone to ER with medical issue: Sports mode all the way. In the Winter to keep engine RPMs up to warm up faster and engine brake snow covered roads.

Shifttronic: I just use it in Winter when roads are bad. Found it most useful to downshifts when going from freeway that is clear to off ramps full of snow. Also when traveling 30 mph roads to engine brake and have better control with throttle with hills and stop lights.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Never used sport mode or manual shift except when I made purchase (have to check everything). I have started to use manual shift only on highways to keep car in 6th if that counts.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I occasionally use Eco mode, but almost never use Sport mode. I do occasionally use the manual shifter, to engine brake going down a hill sometimes, and after reading some comments in this forum, I might be inclined to use it on the interstate to encourage the vehicle to stay in 6th gear.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use Sport every time I get on the highway, and I drive 50 miles each way to work twice a week. I stopped using Eco mode because I found no appreciable difference in fuel economy. As for manual shift, I don't think my 18 VE has that functionality. I probably wouldn't use it much if I did have it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use manual shift to drop a gear when climbing some hills around here on cruise because it will downshift-upshift multiple times climbing but as for sport mode I only really like it for how quickly the vehicle takes off from a stop, but shifts at a higher RPM then preferred sometimes.

·
Registered
942 Posts
As for manual shift, I don't think my 18 VE has that functionality. I probably wouldn't use it much if I did have it.
You have it. Notice that next to the "P" by the shifter there is a little "+" and "-". While you are driving, move the shift lever to the left. In your display you will see the number of the gear you are in. Pulling it toward you will downshift, pushing it toward the front of the vehicle will upshift.

You may never use it, but it would probably be good to know how it works in case you ever need it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I run mostly Eco mode, but, sometimes, when I want to have a little more power, because someones tailgating me, or, I'm just being "THAT GUY" at a stop light. I'll drop it in Sport mode.

Here in Central Florida, there are a bunch of 17 and newer Elantra's around. And, stopped at a stop light, first in line for 2 Elantra's.. Its funny seeing the other persons reaction, blowing them off the line. 1.4L Turbo, vs 2.0L The punch, and the high revs in Sport mode, spooling the turbo is so fun!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sport mode- never. Seems to just rev the engine without any real change in power.
Normal- Almost always. Best balance, although I wish you could select 'Sport' steering without the engine rev gimmick.
Eco- I experiment with it, but have to 'work' the accelerator to get power.

Keep in mind that 'flooring' the accelerator will give you max available power in any mode.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Never. I find the revs and shift points of SPORT (and ECO) mode annoying.
Same with me... the Sport mode is a little too insane for me. Not really a whole lot more power, but the RPM screaming doesn't do anything for me. Normal works fine for overtaking, or just switching manually in Shiftronic. 99.9% of the time, I'm in Smart mode and completely happy.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
In stop-and-go traffic, hot weather 90+F and the AC cranking.
That's when I use Sport mode, for two reasons.
I can feel when the knock sensor kicks in and the engine gets sluggish.
Sport mode keeps the revs up, which makes the AC more effective.

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N-Line 2018 Elantra GT Sport
245 Posts
In stop-and-go traffic, hot weather 90+F and the AC cranking.
That's when I use Sport mode, for two reasons.
I can feel when the knock sensor kicks in and the engine gets sluggish.
Sport mode keeps the revs up, which makes the AC more effective.
I find it interesting that you feel the AC is more effective with revs. These cars use a variable compression AC compressor, dependent on load, ambient outside and interior temperature, and sunlight sensor on dash.

Higher IAT will have a negative effect on performance, Sport mode can mitigate that and make it feel more responsive by the very fact that it dials out the progressive throttle programming existent in normal mode.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Daughter's Kia Soul had to use sport mode, eco would limit rpm's and with the cruise on, would not down shift and lose about 5 mph up a grade Not much different in steering force.

Elantra is different particulary in steerring force, just more force is needed in sport, nothing like a a faster ratio, certainly no a better feel of the road. Sport on deals with shift points, but dead in manual mode, when passing, prefer to manually drop to a lower gear increasing the engine speed to ease wear on the clutches in an AT Then step on the gas, in auto, slamming on the gas wears parts.

So just leave it in Eco mod, if I want stiff steering, just go back to my Ford tractor.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am almost sorry to introduce a different direction in this post. I'm wondering if this might be the key to the awful manual transmission engine/clutch response that us stick-shifters know all too well about. You have to be awesome (like me) with a stick to get a nice smooth take off. I am curious, I have no drive mode selectability, no eco, normal or sport, yet the function is available in the automatics. Is the mode an engine control or transmission control or perhaps both? If it is an engine control, I am inclined to believe that manual transmission versions were stuck with ONE mode at the factory, possibly "eco", the crappiest mode for stick shifts and the source of our frustrations and no buttons to change the mode. We are given life sentences, slaves to the grind, UNLESS......there is a wire harness somewhere that would have connected to your mode selector switch had it been an automatic...hmmm. I think I am going to have to pull some panels. Perhaps all we need would be a switch or button that you automatic boys use, plug and play into my car and try out the different modes and see if one works better with stick shifts.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
On mine it is a button I push just below shift selector on left. Eco means transmission goes through gears quickly keeping the RPMs down. Steering is very light. Sport stays in a lower gear longer. Steering has a heavy feel. Normal is in between. With a manual I would think you are responsible for shifting at low or high RPMs.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I am almost sorry to introduce a different direction in this post. I'm wondering if this might be the key to the awful manual transmission engine/clutch response that us stick-shifters know all too well about. You have to be awesome (like me) with a stick to get a nice smooth take off. I am curious, I have no drive mode selectability, no eco, normal or sport, yet the function is available in the automatics. Is the mode an engine control or transmission control or perhaps both? If it is an engine control, I am inclined to believe that manual transmission versions were stuck with ONE mode at the factory, possibly "eco", the crappiest mode for stick shifts and the source of our frustrations and no buttons to change the mode. We are given life sentences, slaves to the grind, UNLESS......there is a wire harness somewhere that would have connected to your mode selector switch had it been an automatic...hmmm. I think I am going to have to pull some panels. Perhaps all we need would be a switch or button that you automatic boys use, plug and play into my car and try out the different modes and see if one works better with stick shifts.
it's a transmission control, primarily. Sport mode delays upshifts when accelerating, which causes the engine to rev higher. Eco mode upshifts sooner, which causes the engine to rev lower. That's why manual transmission vehicles don't have it--because YOU are controlling the transmission, so you can create your own sport mode.

The only other thing controlled is the steering feel. In Sport mode, there is more steering effort.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quick poll on how often you use "Sport Mode" in your Elantra?

How about Shiftronic?
Tried it once on my 2019 and 45 was like 2400-2500 RPMS so didn't do it long wasn't worth the fuel. But it does add a lot of get up and go when needed.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts