Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious...

I live in Chicago so winter is pretty rough on the cars. I signed up for an unlimited cash wash with Delta Sonic "Super Kiss" level:

Super Kiss Touch-Less Car Washes featuring:

• Revitalizer
• Underspray
• Rust Inhibitor
• Clearcoat Polish
• Clearcoat Protectant
• Brake Dust Remover

Which is odd that they claim its touchless when those big cloth stripes hit my car everytime.....I know its all gimmicky, so I don't really care what its claiming to do to my car.

Individually, each one of these cost $12.99. I pay $16.99 a month for unlimited.

My questions:

How often should I get car washes to maintain the beauty of the Sonata Turbo?

Right now, I am getting one 2-3 times a week, just because its snowing and their is tons of salt on my car everyday. I hate to see her get all dirty and sit in my garage. Too many car washes?

Just looking for some advice.... I have no plans on handwashing because I guess you can say I am lazy or I value my time on weekends way more than to clean it by hand.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Well you seem to already get your money worth on washes. I personally wash my turbo twice a month. I don't drive it much. I do wash it by hand also. Recently hasn't been washed in a while due to snow and rain here in NY.

·
Registered
458 Posts
WOW! and here I though I was compulsive washing mine once a week. 2 to 3 times a week is a little much, once a week should do the trick, but since you have unlimited washes, go everyday, get your moneys worth
But, you should hand wash the car once a month to get the areas that car washes miss.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Limited; 2019 Tucson Ultimate
41 Posts
At this time of year, in winter Cleveland area with the snow/slush/salt, at least once a week. Occasionally I'll get an extra wash or two if an "event" occurs (i.e. taking client out to lunch). During dry periods of summer, I will let it go for 2-3 weeks.

Also, I almost always use car wash, inside and out. I also try to avoid the "triple-foam" wax, as I believe that shortens life of wiper blades. If I do get that wax, I will try to Windex the windshield and use an alcohol wipe on the wiper blades, to prevent chattering/streaking.

·
22,793 Posts
Not a Sonata owner, fellas, but I am about as compulsive with my car looking great as most of you and other model owners across the forum. Spring, summer, fall? EVERY Saturday, by hand, followed by a spray down in the driveway 2-3 times during the weekdays. Always before work so it can air dry on the highway and not leave those aggravating water spots. :thumbsup:

Winter? Arghh...it kills me when the temps drop below 32F and I can't get that road sludge off immediately after arriving home or prior to work time. The hot water heater is in the garage and I even considered hooking the hose up to the drain spigot. I nixed the idea. If I had an enclosed, HVAC equipped wash bay in the garage? I would be ecstatic.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Im a fanatic when it comes to clean cars. I only hand wash, no automatic carwashes and i don't even allow the dealership to run my cars thru there car wash after service. Don't want anyone touching my paint besides myself lol. For people in cold climates i recommend getting a torpedo heater for your garage. I don't have a spigot in my garage "yet" but plan on putting one in. My laundry room is right off the garage so i put a hose adapter on the laundry sink and been using that for years to connect my hose, works great but a spigot would be more convenient. In the winter i thoroughly wash my cars once a week no matter how bad the weather is.

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WOW! and here I though I was compulsive washing mine once a week. 2 to 3 times a week is a little much, once a week should do the trick, but since you have unlimited washes, go everyday, get your moneys worth
But, you should hand wash the car once a month to get the areas that car washes miss.
I do mine twice a week and if I have time three times a week... I like my interior to SMELL clean... always hand washed though since they only have hand washes here
At this time of year, in winter Cleveland area with the snow/slush/salt, at least once a week. Occasionally I'll get an extra wash or two if an "event" occurs (i.e. taking client out to lunch). During dry periods of summer, I will let it go for 2-3 weeks.

Also, I almost always use car wash, inside and out. I also try to avoid the "triple-foam" wax, as I believe that shortens life of wiper blades. If I do get that wax, I will try to Windex the windshield and use an alcohol wipe on the wiper blades, to prevent chattering/streaking.
I wash mine once a week. Usually on Saturday mornings!
Not a Sonata owner, fellas, but I am about as compulsive with my car looking great as most of you and other model owners across the forum. Spring, summer, fall? EVERY Saturday, by hand, followed by a spray down in the driveway 2-3 times during the weekdays. Always before work so it can air dry on the highway and not leave those aggravating water spots. :thumbsup:

Winter? Arghh...it kills me when the temps drop below 32F and I can't get that road sludge off immediately after arriving home or prior to work time. The hot water heater is in the garage and I even considered hooking the hose up to the drain spigot. I nixed the idea. If I had an enclosed, HVAC equipped wash bay in the garage? I would be ecstatic.
Im a fanatic when it comes to clean cars. I only hand wash, no automatic carwashes and i don't even allow the dealership to run my cars thru there car wash after service. Don't want anyone touching my paint besides myself lol. For people in cold climates i recommend getting a torpedo heater for your garage. I don't have a spigot in my garage "yet" but plan on putting one in. My laundry room is right off the garage so i put a hose adapter on the laundry sink and been using that for years to connect my hose, works great but a spigot would be more convenient. In the winter i thoroughly wash my cars once a week no matter how bad the weather is.

Sent from my SCH-I535
Good to hear all the insight.... Thought I was the only one who goes crazy when they see snow and salt sitting on the car.

Since I have unlimited, I just wanted to make sure it won't prematurely ruin the paint or shine or something like that. The wash is on my way home from work and it literally takes 3-5 minutes of my time to swing in and swing out. No waiting for the monthly pass people too B)

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
I only hand wash, no automatic carwashes and i don't even allow the dealership to run my cars thru there car wash after service. Don't want anyone touching my paint besides myself lol.
This. The car washes that make contact with your finish are horrible on your paint. Most people don't notice, but I am so keyed into it, I can see it on all vehicles, in the sunlight.

I always tell the service writer to put "do not wash" on the ticket and I have a mirror hanger with a notice to not wash the car ( a detail seller made up the pdf to print them up ).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sorry to thread jack but I searched and 3 letter words don't corporate with the search,

Anyone have any tips or tricks to hand washing? also my wax was in my truck and froze solid think its still okay to use?

·
22,793 Posts
Since I have unlimited, I just wanted to make sure it won't prematurely ruin the paint or shine or something like that.
Leaving that garbage on the paint is harming it more than you could ever do by washing it and keeping it off. Using a good paint sealant and a quality wax several times a year will perform miracles in keeping your baby's exterior "clean, fresh, and new looking."

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Car washing...

At least once a week or as needed. I finally got to wash my baby today as the weather cleared and was above freezing! I wish I had a garage Okie although, I do have underground covered parking which is a big plus! No way to completely hand wash so I have to use the spray bays. Been using them for years without any real consequence on the paint. 13 years on the ole' 2000 Accent and it looked like new when recently sold.

I liken myself to my father who in wintertime washed his cars every Sunday afternoon in winter to keep the salt off and the paint on!

I think I may have to at least check out an automatic wash just to get the undercarriage cleaned off. I try to spray it off with the wand but that is only so-so.

Be well all and the best of the season to all the great members here on the forums… ah heck, here's to the wankers also. :D Just kidding… :rolleyes:

·
Registered
685 Posts
A little different question: Does anybody use NON-TOUCHLESS wash? I used to use these all the time on all my cars until I bought this one. During the first couple weeks I washed it 2-3 times in different places and then found several long scratches on both sides. I don't know exactly where the damage was done but that scared me and I never went back to a cloth wash. Does anyone notice similar problems?

·
Registered
223 Posts
cloth wash is generally bad for paint because of the salt/sand and and grime that's found on the cloth that wipes your car. It will mar your paint over time and give you plenty of swirls. Nothing a good detailing job won't fix, but its the price you pay for cloth washes.

touchless however is also bad for your vehicle. The chemicals and powerful washers will eventually strip away your wax fairly quickly and leaves your paint vulnerable to the elements.

During the winters, I only power wash the car once a week at a coin wash that does not use recycled water. I know the automated car washes use recycled water. The water get's saltier and saltier after each and every car that is being washed and it does more harm then good. Salt will creep into all the crevices in the car from these automated car washes.

·
Registered
330 Posts
How often? Not often enough. lol
Brother from another mother! A clean car is a happy car. Is it just me but do clean cars drive faster? :3gears::unsure::clap:

I also have an unlimited car wash plan, I plan trips home from work or when out and about in order to get the cars washed. I at Mister Car Wash at least 3-5 times per week, this is during the winter and summer. In the spring I will hand wash my cars to really get all the winter salt and sand from the nooks and crannies.

·
Registered
433 Posts
+1 on paint sealant. Every month during good months and before winter 3 coats of sealant & 2 coats of wax. Then rinse as weather permits through the winter. When spring comes around, clay, polish, seal, wax.

·
22,793 Posts
+1 on paint sealant. Every month during good months and before winter 3 coats of sealant & 2 coats of wax. Then rinse as weather permits through the winter. When spring comes around, clay, polish, seal, wax.
Glad to meet a fellow OCD'er. Just clay barred before the fall weather turned sour. As well as a sealant, and two coats of wax. I say a little soft prayer, EVERY DAY, that this little token of love was adequate to meet the harsh demands that this winter has wrought thus far. Appears fine but 2 1/2 months to go (fingers crossed).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts