Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the first COP (coil on plug) at 104 K miles.
Because the check engine light did not come on and throw a code, I had to swap cops across the
different cylinders until I found the bad one. The engine miss did not occur when the engine was cold,
I hade to drive the vehicle for a least 45 min. to get the cop hot enough to cause it to fail.

The replaced the second COP (coil on plug) at 107 K miles.
This time the check engine light came on and it threw a code, so I knew what cylinder had
the bad cop. Again the vehicle ran fine when cold, but after 45 min. driving is when it would
break down from the heat.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The COPs are replace on fail, not a maintenance item. I have seen them fail as early as 50K, but have seen them go 80K plus and still working just fine. Surprised you didn't get a code on the first one. Never seen that before.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The COPs are replace on fail, not a maintenance item. I have seen them fail as early as 50K, but have seen them go 80K plus and still working just fine. Surprised you didn't get a code on the first one. Never seen that before.
It was a 2010 I have a 2016 sonata sport now

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I had a Hyundai Sonata with 190 thousand miles I had the original spark plugs and timing belt
You were on borrowed time........

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N Line, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT (SOLD)
1,827 Posts
I had a failed Coil Pack at around 42-44k miles

·
Registered
862 Posts
132,000 kms (82,500 miles) all original on 2013 GT.
I did have to replace a crank position sensor under warranty... at 30K kms.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Not a GT but mine are original and so are the sparks. I have heard that the 1st transistor made by TI is still oscillating.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts