Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Could anyone confirm how much you drain and refill ATF?
I used Valvoline Maxlife ATF to fill the transmission.

I asked my mechanic to drain and refill when my car at 46k miles. I'm not sure how much he drained and filled for the 1st time so I would like to have info to confirm.

Here is the picture at my 2nd drain and fill. This was performed at 68k miles.
https://ibb.co/megyB7

The fluid is dark, but not black. It doesn't have the burning smell so it looks pretty good IMO. I measured around 3.1 qt came out but refill around 4.5 qts.
It was a mistake but I plan to do another drain and refill right after that.

After around 400 miles, my mechanic drained the fluid for me. This time, I filled the fluid myself around 3.3 qts. The car works perfectly fine compared to 2nd fill.
https://ibb.co/iSf8B7

This time, fluid looks like red wine when it came out.

I wonder would 3 qts be the right amount for this transmission? I believed ATF fluid expands a lot when the transmission is hot. Should I worry about overfill the fluid?

I'm thinking to take it to the dealer next time to get the right amount but so far, everything works as expected. :wink:

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
It sounds to me like you have a pretty good handle on how much fluid to put back in. As for me, as I use whatever knuckle-headed method to drain my fluid (hopefully in a container) and carefully measure how much I get out and simply put that much back in. There is extra fluid in the torque converter which is usually hard to get out. But carry on with your good works.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Simple answer......

Drain it starting Fri eve.. leave it sit into Saturday and drip for what it worth

Put plug back in bottom...... remove inspect plug on the side pan,, add rough 3 qt,, start engne, and finish fill with whatever it take to finally dribble out hole.. hop in shift to R & D a few times, put back in Park and verify oil dribble...

Install inspect plug to side pan

Drive car

Not rocket surgery to drain & fill this transmission.. I get 5-6qt in the when I do trans temp sensorr-wire harness on the 6-speeders

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds to me like you have a pretty good handle on how much fluid to put back in. As for me, as I use whatever knuckle-headed method to drain my fluid (hopefully in a container) and carefully measure how much I get out and simply put that much back in. There is extra fluid in the torque converter which is usually hard to get out. But carry on with your good works.
I'm not a pro as other members. I just want to keep track all the maintenance since my mechanic doesn't care about accuracy. Last time, he used to fill 5 qts for engine oil.

I aware that extra fluid in the torque converter so I plan to do an extra drain and fill to keep fresh fluid in the transmission without paying extra at a dealership.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
What does your OWNERS MANUAL SPECIFY IN THE SPECIFICATIONS SECTION ?

My owners manual specifies 7.71 US quarts !
I think that is total capacity transmission hold, including fluid in the torque converter. My mechanic and I only can extract less than 3.5 qts.

The fluid in the pan holds less than 4 qts I believed, therefore, I would like to have the preference for the next fill.

Simple answer......

Drain it starting Fri eve.. leave it sit into Saturday and drip for what it worth

Put plug back in bottom...... remove inspect plug on the side pan,, add rough 3 qt,, start engne, and finish fill with whatever it take to finally dribble out hole.. hop in shift to R & D a few times, put back in Park and verify oil dribble...

Install inspect plug to side pan

Drive car

Not rocket surgery to drain & fill this transmission.. I get 5-6qt in the when I do trans temp sensorr-wire harness on the 6-speeders
I don't have the tool to make the job done. I'm glad that you enjoy the dripping oil out of the transmission for that long. My mechanic does a lot of shortcuts.

My car stops dripping after 10'. I also found that the fill hole for transmission actually in the back, close to the brake reservoir.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Instead of going back to my mechanic several times and paying him each time do this:

Transmission oil change on the 2013 Elantra GT

Transmission Drain Plug gasket (metal washer) - part # 4532339000, $1.52

Transmission oil level plug (sight hole) gasket (rubber) - part # 4528426100, $26.91 if purchased at dealer, Ebay price $5.55

Procedure

Remove oil drain plug, clean metal filings from magnet, replace metal washer with a new one

Drain ATF fluid

Reinstall oil drain plug with new metal washer

Remove oil level plug (plastic) and rubber gasket

Remove Injection hole (eyebolt) (plastic)

Slowly pour 5 quarts of new ATF (SPH-IV fluid specification) thru funnel into injection hole.

Reinstall oil level plug with new rubber gasket

Reinstall injection hole plug

Remove plastic trim under AT cooler on left side of vehicle (as you look at the front of car from bumper side)

Loosen clamp on the bottom AT cooler rubber hose

Start engine and idle for 1 minute and pull off the bottom hose and let drain until fluid stops coming out, stop engine.

Reinstall bottom hose and clamp

Remove oil level plug and remove injection hole eyebolt.

Pour in the remaining 4 quarts of new ATF (SPH-IV fluid specification) thru funnel into
injection hole with engine idling until it slowly trickles out of oil level hole.

Stop engine and tighten oil level hole plug, tighten oil injection hole plug, reinstall
ATF cooler plastic trim.

I realize that 9 total quarts were used vs 7.71, but I use extra to allow for spillage, but I do not overfill the A/T !

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
i

Slowly pour 5 quarts of new ATF (SPH-IV fluid specification) thru funnel into injection hole.

SPH-IV went by the wayside some 7yr ago,,, current fluid is SP4-M
Current part number for trans drain plug "WASHER" is 21513-11000, that is part handed across our counter for last couple yr

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Is SP4-M what the dealership uses when they do a transmission flush? I would think so, just want to confirm.
We dont "flush" in our store,,, you get ATF drain & fill in our store,, and we fill with the proper oil as called by Hyundai,, the UD/MD 6-speeder gets SP4-M (00232-19057)

·
Registered
17,552 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Accoridng to SBR711:--
Current part number for trans drain plug [washer] is 21513-11000, that is part handed across our counter for last couple yr

1 - 14 of 14 Posts