Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on doing my first oil change to my 2010 Tucson GLS when it hit's 600mile, and then every 5k after that... I use Mobil 1 in all my stuff. I bought a 5qt jub of Mobil 1 5w-20 and a Mobil 1 Oil filter... now I'm wondering, how much oil does the 2.4L hold? 5qt, 4.5, 4????

thanks

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (jsinton @ Jun 21 2010, 10:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335108
I try 4.5 and see how that looks. It's probably going to be 4.86, so just pour the whole 5 in if it is.

I'm with brother jsinton...

I pour approx 4.5 in, start it for 15 - 20 seconds, shut off, walk slowly the long way around car, check oil level, and fill it to the full mark, all done :banana: ... total oil fill too will depend on how long you left the drain plug out to drip.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I just did my 1k mile oil & Filter change this weekend. I put in 4.5 US Quarts and it was a the "low dot or add oil mark" on the dip stick. I put almost all of the remaining oil from the open quart and it brought it to the full mark on the dot. So 4.86 us Quarts sounds correct.

PS, I switched over to 5w20 Mobile 1 synthetic oil.

·
Registered
838 Posts
QUOTE (Joeeey @ Jun 22 2010, 06:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335152
I just did my 1k mile oil & Filter change this weekend. I put in 4.5 US Quarts and it was a the "low dot or add oil mark" on the dip stick. I put almost all of the remaining oil from the open quart and it brought it to the full mark on the dot. So 4.86 us Quarts sounds correct.

PS, I switched over to 5w20 Mobile 1 synthetic oil.
I do like Mobil One, but Isn't that a bit light for summer driving? :eek:
I would think a 5-30W, 5-40W, or 10-30W, 10-40W, Would offer better protection in the heat.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (MikDee @ Jun 22 2010, 06:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335339
I do like Mobil One, but Isn't that a bit light for summer driving? :eek:
I would think a 5-30W, 5-40W, or 10-30W, 10-40W, Would offer better protection in the heat.
I was thinking the same thing then I read the owners manual and the owners manual states:

For better fuel economy, it is recommended to use the engine oil of a viscosity grade SAE 5W-
20 (API SM / ILSAC GF-4). However, if the engine oil is not available in your country, select
the proper engine oil using the engine oil viscosity chart.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I am getting ready to do a first change on the CEO's Tuck...
will probably use Mobil One 5W-30, as Mobil One is a bit
on the thin side even at the 30 viscosity, per some oil board
mavens' opins, and I don't care about a half mpg with the 20...

But, what is anyone using for oil filter, w/out a 40 min trip
to the dlr? My local AutoZone has zip info in its cross ref
guide for filters on a 2010 Tuck, as does the net car parts
resources I usually use.
Thanks, mD

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (Joeeey @ Jun 22 2010, 06:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335344
I was thinking the same thing then I read the owners manual and the owners manual states:

For better fuel economy, it is recommended to use the engine oil of a viscosity grade SAE 5W-
20 (API SM / ILSAC GF-4). However, if the engine oil is not available in your country, select
the proper engine oil using the engine oil viscosity chart.
I went to Autozone and picked up a Mobil 1 oil filter for mine.... it was in the book, it's a M1-104, I plan on installing it after the car hits 600mile... (I will feel better when the sync oil is in there... lol)

·
Registered
316 Posts
QUOTE (Joeeey @ Jun 23 2010, 03:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335610
I used a Napa Gold filter. It is the same number as my wife 07 Elantra motor.
Thanks...I will give that a hunt; we have a few auto parts joints here in
our hillbillyheaven town, but the NAPA store may the worst of the bunch.

If you changed it your self, any surprises while reaching up and in, to remove
current filter? My other two cars both present a serious effort and a full
half hour plus, for DIY oil/filter changes.
Thank you, mD

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (motordavid @ Jun 23 2010, 05:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335638
Thanks...I will give that a hunt; we have a few auto parts joints here in
our hillbillyheaven town, but the NAPA store may the worst of the bunch.

If you changed it your self, any surprises while reaching up and in, to remove
current filter? My other two cars both present a serious effort and a full
half hour plus, for DIY oil/filter changes.
Thank you, mD

Naa it's pretty straight forward. in the center near the front of the engine there is a twist to remove door. This is to rear the filter. I think the whole oil change took 5 - 10 minutes tops. It took longer to wash my hands & put my tools away after I was finished.

·
Registered
316 Posts
QUOTE (Joeeey @ Jun 23 2010, 06:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335653
Naa it's pretty straight forward. in the center near the front of the engine there is a twist to remove door. This is to rear the filter. I think the whole oil change took 5 - 10 minutes tops. It took longer to wash my hands & put my tools away after I was finished.
Thanks Joey...
I slid under, (tight fit, lol!), and gave it a glance before I asked. As I suspected, and I appreciate your eyeball on it,
and your experience. Should be cake.
Best Regards, mD

·
Registered
316 Posts
QUOTE (kendawg @ Jun 23 2010, 05:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335634
I went to Autozone and picked up a Mobil 1 oil filter for mine.... it was in the book, it's a M1-104, I plan on installing it after the car hits 600mile... (I will feel better when the sync oil is in there... lol)

Thanks for that headsup on the Mobil1 filter; I will give it a hunt at my local AZ.
Best Regards, mD

·
Registered
9 Posts
Factory spec oil is NOT synthetic, correct? What's the factory suggested oil change intervals or does the car have some lights to track it?

·
Registered
316 Posts
QUOTE (Andreas van dem Helge @ Jul 6 2010, 02:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339152
Factory spec oil is NOT synthetic, correct? What's the factory suggested oil change intervals or does the car have some lights to track it?
I can't find any info anywhere that states what the oil fill, brand or species is...
The Manual suggests changes at 7500, 15000, miles etc. No lights or settings to track that I can find.

I just dumped my oil & filter at ~3,000 miles. Thanks to kendawg & Joeeey, the Mobil One M1-104 filter went on easily,
the drain was cake, (esp compared to the 8 qts that gushes out of my X5), and I put in a touch under 5 qts of Mobil
One 5W-30.

I am not a "change your oil every 3k mile" zealot, but I do like to do an initial short change...after that, 7,500 to 10,000
easy, with the good syn stuff, imo.
GL, mD

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Well, I have the best of both worlds. The '10 Tucson takes about 4.75qts, the '10 Elantra Touring takes about 4.25qts. Buy two five gallon jugs of Castrol GTX 10W30 and have a quart left for the lawnmower!

And I buy Hyundai filters at the dealer, several at one time. The Tucson oil change is easy, so is the Touring. And we have an oil reclaim center less than a mile from the house, so all is good.

·
Registered
22 Posts
hi guys, my 2012 Tuc with less 6,500 KMs. The oil is very dirty. I was concerned, didn't expect a relatively new car to behave like this. Found engine oil on sale, so bought Castrol Edge Titanium 5w30 Full Synt and K&N oil filter. After the oil change, i noticed fuel consumption increased. It used to register low 10.xx Litre/100KM. Now, it's constantly around low 11.xx Litre/100KM. This is about 10% increase in fuel consumption.

Have i picked a poor quality oil? It's unlikely the oil filter isn't it?

Also there is small drop of oil hanging near the drain plug and few drops on the garage floor. Should i tighten the drain plug further? I'm worried about breaking things because of over tightening. Is there a rubber ring / washer i can get to help prevent this drip/leak?

Thanks in advance

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
hi guys, my 2012 Tuc with less 6,500 KMs. The oil is very dirty. I was concerned, didn't expect a relatively new car to behave like this. Found engine oil on sale, so bought Castrol Edge Titanium 5w30 Full Synt and K&N oil filter. After the oil change, i noticed fuel consumption increased. It used to register low 10.xx Litre/100KM. Now, it's constantly around low 11.xx Litre/100KM. This is about 10% increase in fuel consumption.

Have i picked a poor quality oil? It's unlikely the oil filter isn't it?

Also there is small drop of oil hanging near the drain plug and few drops on the garage floor. Should i tighten the drain plug further? I'm worried about breaking things because of over tightening. Is there a rubber ring / washer i can get to help prevent this drip/leak?

Thanks in advance
My advice is to buy a torque wrench. I do my drain plug to 30lb ft of torque. I think that's a normal spec for most vehicles. If you have a metal crush washer around your drain plug it should be replaced with each oil change.

Also Edge is good oil, the fuel consumption change is more likely due to weather and fuel blend changes.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts