Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently had my tires changed, and the mechanic shop suggested replacing the front brake pads and rotors. They are quoting $300 parts and another $220 labor (incl. tax where applicable). I can't seem to find many posts for how much people paid for brake work on 2011+ Sonata.

I know how much it would cost DIY through the parts catalogs, but for those that changed their front brakes/rotors at a shop or dealer:

1. How much was it?

2. Dealer or independent place?

3. Is this a sports suspension 2011+ or non-sport? (E.g. SE or Limited 2.0T trims)

The car only has about 34k on it, I bought it with 30k about 11 months ago (I was travelling over the summer so didn't drive it for about 4 months). Those are almost all city miles since I bought it.. so lots of stopping. However, dealer measured 5mm remaining on the fronts a couple months back. This is my first time at this new mechanic, but they also seem pretty reputable (long customer base, good yelp/google reviews saying they are very competent if a steep with price, A+ on BBB, etc...). They are also suggesting $84 for a brake fluid flush, but that seems about average from what I can find.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Pads and rotor replacements service at 34K sounds a bit premature to me. I would suggest checking with a couple other auto repair places on the price and the need. Unless the rotors are warped its hard to believe they need replaced. Its pays to check around. Price is not that much out of line. Let us know what you determine. Thanks.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Pads and rotor replacements service at 34K sounds a bit premature to me. I would suggest checking with a couple other auto repair places on the price and the need. Unless the rotors are warped its hard to believe they need replaced. Its pays to check around. Price is not that much out of line. Let us know what you determine. Thanks.
Agreed with above statement. Sounds a bit premature. And price wise is about right.

You might need new brakes because the original owner (previous owner(s)) might have abused the brakes.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I have 63,000 on my original pads & rotors. A lot of that is highway though. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
I recently had my tires changed, and the mechanic shop suggested replacing the front brake pads and rotors. They are quoting $300 parts and another $220 labor (incl. tax where applicable). I can't seem to find many posts for how much people paid for brake work on 2011+ Sonata.

I know how much it would cost DIY through the parts catalogs, but for those that changed their front brakes/rotors at a shop or dealer:

1. How much was it?

3. Is this a sports suspension 2011+ or non-sport? (E.g. SE or Limited 2.0T trims)

The car only has about 34k on it, I bought it with 30k about 11 months ago (I was travelling over the summer so didn't drive it for about 4 months). Those are almost all city miles since I bought it.. so lots of stopping. However, dealer measured 5mm remaining on the fronts a couple months back. This is my first time at this new mechanic, but they also seem pretty reputable (long customer base, good yelp/google reviews saying they are very competent if a steep with price, A+ on BBB, etc...). They are also suggesting $84 for a brake fluid flush, but that seems about average from what I can find.
Installed Baer Sport Decela Rotors & EBC Ultimax Brake Pads about a month ago (both front and rear axles):

1. $336 labor (parts were bought online).

2. Local Hyundai Dealer.

3. 2011 Sonata SE 2.4L GDI.

It was an entire day ordeal for me as the head mechanic stated that they had never installed aftermarket performance brakes before. They gave me a loaner car for the day after waiting a couple of hours. They bled the lines and topped everything off.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
564 Posts

1. How much was it?

Had my front brakes replaced at 42,000 miles.

1. $300 for new pads and resurface rotors.

2. Local Hyundai dealer

3. 2011 GLS, no mods.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Had my front brakes replaced at 42,000 miles.

1. $300 for new pads and resurface rotors.

2. Local Hyundai dealer

3. 2011 GLS, no mods.
Not bad for a stealership. I've started to wonder if it makes sense to turn the rotors or just leave them be. Once you turn them, they get thin and are more likely to warp.

·
Registered
301 Posts
My dealer in Des Plaines, IL wanted $400 for rear pads and rotors replacement (labour and parts) for my 2010 GLS, it was some kind of lifetime breaks deal. I bought parts in AutoZone and did the work on my own.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Replaced mine at 50k with Duralast Gold from AutoZone and put them on myself in about 30 min. Paid $63 for them. I never understood paying for a brakejob.

·
Registered
281 Posts
^^
Especially nowadays with rotors all around...these aren't pita drums....but some people prefer to pay redic prices and not have to do the work themselves

·
22,793 Posts
There are independent shops locally that will give you free brake inspections, hoping that they will get your business if there is something that does need replacing. Reputable locations will offer you a respectable warranty, too. I'd check around...friends for references. And I'd also look in the local ads, internet, and newspapers for coupons.

Do this while you're still able to use what's under there. It isn't like the car won't stop and the work has to be done immediately. You have some time to gather your facts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just had my Front Brakes and Rotors replaced this week in the Northern NJ Area.. Did a little shopping around.. 45,000 on 2011 Sonata Limited... 50/50 city highway driving..
Dealer.. 329 with Resurfacing if needed.. Sears 229+70 for resurface and Midas (where I decided to have it done) was 159 and 139 for New Rotors (My Right Rotor was beyond Resurface)... Prices do vary for Brake Jobs, best to shop around.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Mileage very much depends on driving style and type, city driving could easily need replacement at 34,000 however, rotors I am skeptical about. rotors for me usually last two pad lives. Get a second opinion, almost any chain will give a second opinion but you don't have to have the work done there. Get the measurement too, are the pads at the wear indicators or just close. Does MI have a safety inspection that the brakes have to pass?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Doing the work yourself is the way to go. It really isn't very difficult to replace pads and rotors. You can basically buy new brake rotors for the price it costs to turn them. Watch a few YouTube videos, make sure you have the right tools and try it. Having a couple buddies over to help is a good/fun idea too.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Doing the work yourself is the way to go. It really isn't very difficult to replace pads and rotors. You can basically buy new brake rotors for the price it costs to turn them. Watch a few YouTube videos, make sure you have the right tools and try it. Having a couple buddies over to help is a good/fun idea too.

Rear brakes will be a different story... I just bought rotors & pads from Rock Auto and will be changing fronts & rear this Spring. I plan on taking pics and posting a DIY.

As far as the 'kdmstance20' code goes, it worked for me a few weeks ago when I was pricing out rotors/pads, but Rock Auto was cheaper with shipping. I purchased the premium blank Centrics.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quick update:

Talked to the local dealer over the phone. They do front pads + rotor resurface for around $285, and front pads + rotor replacements for close to double that if the rotors are worn or warped. They didn't think the pads needed replacement from my description over the phone and their measurements from a month or two ago, but were happy to check them out.

That said, pretty busy at work here so probably going to proceed with getting the work done at this other place, since I already have an appointment for Friday. Can't hurt.. techs seem well trained there from reviews/word-of-mouth and at worst I'm wasting around 20% of the brake pad life (+ more in rotor life, but one could also argue that rotor replacement is preferable to resurfacing on a more 'performance' car, 2.0T, since probably greater chance of warping from driving style of those who own turbos... on average...). Last concern that I'll probably follow up with them is if they are using OEM parts, or which aftermarkets.

Thanks to all that responded.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts