Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting 10yr bumper to bumper warranty for my 2010 Sonata GLS I4. It currently has 31K miles and I am not the original owner. I was wondering how much people paid for hyundai extended warranty. Any tips on buying it?

·
22,793 Posts
Platinum? Bumper-to-bumper, zero deductible? Free Rental? $1,200.

Worth it to me because I don't EVER AGAIN want to turn a wrench because I HAVE to. If done, it will be because I ELECTED to. That equates to 0.32 a day over 10 years. Or twice that amount over five. Less than a soda.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are talking about HMA backed warranty, right? Are you the first owner? Did you buy the warranty when you were buying the car? How much did they initially want for it (any haggling involved)?

Platinum? Bumper-to-bumper, zero deductible? Free Rental? $1,200.

Worth it to me because I don't EVER AGAIN want to turn a wrench because I HAVE to. If done, it will be because I ELECTED to. That equates to 0.32 a day over 10 years. Or twice that amount over five. Less than a soda.

·
22,793 Posts
This is the Hyundai extended one. Bought it new (the car). Added the Platinum warranty in the finance office. He had 3 plans. Each offered more as the levels increased, as did the prices. What was $3,700 (according to this F&I clown) I told him I'd only pay $1,200 because "That's what I paid for the one on my 2011 in Virginia." He slipped when he said he'd "match" other warranty prices. I probably should've lied and told him I could get one for $800. LOL

When I traded for the 2013, I received nearly all of that first Platinum warranty fee back in refund. So, seemed like a no-brainer to me. I took the money, bought my tag, title, tax, and whatever else I thought I needed at the time.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Check with one of your local Credit Unions. I used to sell these at a dealership and know the mark up available. I now do loans for a credit union and see how much less they can be. BTW from what I've heard and read the "so called" HMA sold by the dealerships now are very much "aftermarket". Be careful.
I have an aftermarket one I sold, to myself, and think for the dollar they are worth it. Others will say no...but I see the value if the purchase price is right along with good coverage

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am also considering trying to certify that car, one forum member described how dealer certified the used car he owned for $450 which gave him 10yrs / 100K miles powertrain warranty on top of 5yr bumper to bumper.

·
22,793 Posts
Check with one of your local Credit Unions.
+1 Excellent point! C.U.'s can offer you a lot more bang for your buck that any dealer can. And not just talking about the extended warranty, here.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I got the extended warrenty for one for my Sonatas..the LTD model.

What a waste of money!!!!!!!!
In the contract it states, all my services HAVE TO BE DONE AT THE DEALER.
No DIY jobs!

So the warranty is useless to me.
I tried to cancel it but that is another story.

So remember: read the contract carefully BEFORE signing it!!!!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
This is the Hyundai extended one. Bought it new (the car). Added the Platinum warranty in the finance office. He had 3 plans. Each offered more as the levels increased, as did the prices. What was $3,700 (according to this F&I clown) I told him I'd only pay $1,200 because "That's what I paid for the one on my 2011 in Virginia." He slipped when he said he'd "match" other warranty prices. I probably should've lied and told him I could get one for $800. LOL

When I traded for the 2013, I received nearly all of that first Platinum warranty fee back in refund. So, seemed like a no-brainer to me. I took the money, bought my tag, title, tax, and whatever else I thought I needed at the time.
Sounds like you already had the 10/100,000 warranty on the drive train. I suspect the OP would have to pay more.
John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts