Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious since the dealer uses a synthetic blend.

I'm talking using Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum? I know their more but these are now house whole names.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
1st service @ 12 months @ 12,400 miles
2nd service @24 months @ 25,958 miles

in both cases using Mobil Super XE 3000 which is 5W-30 / API-SM / ACEA-C3 - provided by the Hyundai dealer during regular service - it's not as good as Mobil 1 but quite adequate for a modern turbo-charged engine.

·
Registered
273 Posts
My dealer is offering me 10K intervals with their synthetic blend and it also gives you a lifetime warrenty on the motor if you keep it up and let them do it for $79.

I am coming up on my 2nd change (regular oil at 3K) at 8K and am concidering it?

·
Registered
198 Posts
My dealer is offering me 10K intervals with their synthetic blend and it also gives you a lifetime warrenty on the motor if you keep it up and let them do it for $79.

I am coming up on my 2nd change (regular oil at 3K) at 8K and am concidering it?

Do you know the brand they will be using?

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I gotta ask - whats up with dealers using synthetic blends ? A 5 gallon jug of decent synthetic can be had for $20 ~ $ 25 . I used to run Mobil 1 with the A3/B3 spec in my Saabs but stopped a few years back after it got pricey and now buy lower spec synthetic and buy what is on sale - even Kragen from O'reilly - it's supposedly gets decent rating from the oil afficiandos on BITOG.

I've heard mixed opinions on the semi-syn stuff - but why even bother with it ?

·
Registered
759 Posts
I was looking for a thread on this... there is another thread on DIY oil changes... but i'm looking for the solia answer on Synthetic oil changes - and the intervals of changing it.
I called my Hyundai Dealer on this, and wasn't happy with the answer. I haven't done an oil change yet, but i'm getting close. 6000km is supposed to be my first change, i'm at 4700 now.
I called the dealer and mentioned I want to use synthetic oil, and asked what the intervals woult be, he said 6000km. I said that 6000km was supposed to be for regular oil, but what would the intervals be for synthetic?
He said "the same - due to the turbo is harder on the oil, so they keep it at 6000km intervals".
I didin't believe that... yet, there is no specific info that I can find in the user manual/maintenace log book.

Anyone?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was looking for a thread on this... there is another thread on DIY oil changes... but i'm looking for the solia answer on Synthetic oil changes - and the intervals of changing it.
I called my Hyundai Dealer on this, and wasn't happy with the answer. I haven't done an oil change yet, but i'm getting close. 6000km is supposed to be my first change, i'm at 4700 now.
I called the dealer and mentioned I want to use synthetic oil, and asked what the intervals woult be, he said 6000km. I said that 6000km was supposed to be for regular oil, but what would the intervals be for synthetic?
He said "the same - due to the turbo is harder on the oil, so they keep it at 6000km intervals".
I didin't believe that... yet, there is no specific info that I can find in the user manual/maintenace log book.

Anyone?
My dealership in Alberta told me every 3-4000kms or 3-4 months,whichever came first..
Because I have a turbo engine I should get it done 3-4x a year because of the heat in the engine
BUT....
They also use 5w 30 so I'm not sure how that affects my intervals...

·
Registered
3,438 Posts

Anyone?
Well it's a good question - I'm not sure how many if any auto makers specify longer change intervals if you use synthetic vs fossil . Most have different intervals depending on type of service and a number of turbo charged engines and high performance engines require synthetic meeting certain ratings.

So someone mentioned on a post why Hyundai designs a turbo charged engine to run on regular grade fuel - their perspective was it's to offer a lower cost option and project that image - reading the posts I think it's much the same on oil - synthetic is associated with higher cost.

I'd say if you intend to keep the car and want to take steps to ensure the engine performs at high levels well beyond the warranty period - it would be better to run syn and stick to the prescribed intervals. But this is coming from someone who is has been used to using syn as a warranty requirement for over 10 yrs.

Besides the turbo you have 2 chains in the engine as well which are protected from wear better with syn. And I think the engine uses low friction piston rings which tend to make for dirtier oil .

Certainly with a decent synthetic you could run at the longer change interval even if you operate in the defined severe service category.

But if you run mainly highway miles - then it kind of s*cks and is wasteful using good quality syn and having to change it soley because of the warranty.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Besides the turbo you have 2 chains in the engine as well which are protected from wear better with syn. And I think the engine uses low friction piston rings which tend to make for dirtier oil .
detech, is one of those two chains a timing chain? :puzzled:

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
detech, is one of those two chains a timing chain? :puzzled:
yeah - a timing chain and there is a balance shaft which is chain driven. Both should last a very long time - however on my Saabs I've never replaced a turbo charger but have had to replace timing chains on two of them - one was owing to a defective chain tensioner.

But like any chain they will wear and stretch over time - I read somewhere that some Mercedes engines require a synthetic oil that meets a spec which is meant to ensure proper lubrication of the timing chain.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Somebody on another thread used "old school" to describe changing oil frequently on turbo-charged engines, but I'd do it. The turbos are lubricated witht eh engine oil, and some of that oil get very hot / cooked when the engine is shut off. I changed the oil in my 1984 Sunbird turbo every 2,000 miles, and it was running as good as new at 160,000 miles. The question to be asked" Can the the synthetic oils withstand the heat in the turbo charger after shut down, or will some of it be over-heated at every shut down?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I read somewhere that some Mercedes engines require a synthetic oil that meets a spec which is meant to ensure proper lubrication of the timing chain.
All modern engines built or sold in Europe effectively need full synthetic - as the only current ACEA approval sequences all include a requirement for "stable, stay-in-grade oil" it's unlikely that a part-synthetic or mineral oil could meet that requirement but these are still on sale for older engines.

As well as the mighty Mercedes-Benz, even the humble Hyundai needs full-synthetic here.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Good info for all

Turbo oil changes,,, well first off pull out your manual you got with the SF (or what ever turbo'ed car) have a look at the service requirements set out, then read the fine print (for sever servicing) and say to yourself do you fit into the "normal" or "sever service" funny once you read it if you fit one of the "sever" requirements you need to follow that servicing (most people don't know it but if you live in a big city they will) the Turbos in the Hyundai line of car and SUV's are only oil cooled important to know as you need to be mindful of that fact, newer Turbos are a far cry from what they used to be but they still need some TLC and that comes first with oil changes, also if you have been driving your Turbo'ed car?SUV hard (lot's of boost and heat) don't just put it in the garage and shut it down give the motor and Turbo time to stabilize it's temp, very hot shutdown all the time will shorten the life of any Turbo'ed motor, me I don't care what the OEM's say for servicing with all my cars I use the good stuff (meets or excides the OEM spec) and change it out every 5000kms or 3000mi this kind of servicing has left me with not internal engine problems in 30 years my cars do not burn or use up oil in between oil changes. If you are leasing the car/SUV do the normal service you will be handing it back before the warranty is up, if you would like to get 10 to 15 years out of your car follow the sever servicing in the book and you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
759 Posts
My dealership in Alberta told me every 3-4000kms or 3-4 months,whichever came first..
Because I have a turbo engine I should get it done 3-4x a year because of the heat in the engine
BUT....
See, my point exactly! What is it with every single dealership having different stories on the amount we go between oil changes?!

My dealer tells me 6k between oil changes no matter if it's Syn or Regular.... and klaforce is being told 3-4k?!
I've never in my life heard of changing your oil every 3-4,000 km... that's crazy, turbo or no turbo.

Guess it's time for an email to Hyundai.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Ok, so I called Hyundai Canada directly, and spoke to a rep there. He pulled out the owners manual along with me, and he confirmed what the manual says.
How he put it was that since Hyundai does not test their vehicles with Synthetic Oil, they do not extend the amount of KM's between oil changes over conventional oil.
Since the manual says every 6,000 km (see your service manual, not owners manual), that's when the oil change has to happen - regardless if you're using Oil or Syn.

He said once you're past the warranty period, you can really do what you feel is required, but if a warranty issue ever came up that had to do with oil, then the specifics would have to have been followed.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Ok, so I called Hyundai Canada directly, and spoke to a rep there. He pulled out the owners manual along with me, and he confirmed what the manual says.
How he put it was that since Hyundai does not test their vehicles with Synthetic Oil, they do not extend the amount of KM's between oil changes over conventional oil.
Since the manual says every 6,000 km (see your service manual, not owners manual), that's when the oil change has to happen - regardless if you're using Oil or Syn.

He said once you're past the warranty period, you can really do what you feel is required, but if a warranty issue ever came up that had to do with oil, then the specifics would have to have been followed.
That really is customer support at the lowest possible level !!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Yes and no... He didn't do much more then what the manual had stated, but at least he gave me a straight answer.... Unlike some dealers out there telling people to get oil changes every 3-4K.
At least now I know..... I may not agree with the intervals staying the same when upgrading to synthetic, but hey.... That's life.

·
Registered
157 Posts
BUT....
Funny, it's 3-4000 miles or 3-4 months here in the US. lol. don't listen to your dealer.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts