Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still in very tentative/early shopping mode for ElantraGT or Elantra GT Sport to replace my 2015 Elantra Sedan that feels too light for the highway, and actually asked this question of the salesperson and cannot get a straight answer.

If you have added a Remote Starter and an Alarm to your 2018 Elantra, how many remote transmitters did you end up with?

I have just one for my 2015 and want to keep it that way. I can control my remote starter, car alarm, and everything else from one remote. I do not want to be handed 2 or 3 remotes if/when I take delivery of a 2018. And when I asked (by email) the salesperson, the answer I got was not an answer. Could mean they don't understand the question, or could mean the answer is the one I do not want and they don't have the nerve to tell me for fear I will walk.

I am MORE likely to walk because of their refusal to address my concern about this, but that's between me and them.

I know it depends partly on which local vendor a particular dealer uses for installation, but still hoping for some kind of consensus here.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would get the name and number of the local vendor the dealers uses for remote starter and alarm and bypass the salesman for your answer !

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. That is a great idea. I’m hoping they tell me what I want to hear, but at least I will know... before I am taking delivery and there’s nothing to be done.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
As far back as I can remember when purchasing a new vehicle would always get two sets of keys, remotes, or fobs, whatever they are calling these now.

When purchasing a used vehicle, always insisted on getting two sets, but did give in once in awhile when it only cost 50 cents to have a key made. But also would wonder, who has that other key?

These new keys have to be laser cut, may have to do a lot of shopping, just some quick sampling on the net, looking at around 150 bucks for the remote with the proper key.

Could use your smart phone for remote start, kind of enjoyed this for a year, but here after, would cost an extra 300 bucks per year to maintain this feature. This plus the cost of using your cell phone.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2 sets of keys is good. 2 transmitters for each set (1 for doors and one for other features), not so good.

I suppose if you carry your keys in a purse or don’t have that many, you would not consider it that important. But I keep my keys in my pocket, so one (or heaven forbid 2!) additional remote is not wanted.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
2 sets of keys is good. 2 transmitters for each set (1 for doors and one for other features), not so good.

I suppose if you carry your keys in a purse or don’t have that many, you would not consider it that important. But I keep my keys in my pocket, so one (or heaven forbid 2!) additional remote is not wanted.
Not sure what your issue is with the remote, the two that came with mine are identical, and is the only way you can get into this vehicle and start it. Certainly nice to have a spare even if you are the only driver.

Also keep mine in my pocket, did attach my house key to it, have that folded over the buttons, put it in a zip lock bag, rolled it up tight and a rubber band around it. Keeps it like new and it water proof.

Reason for the house key, if we have a power failure, garage door opener won't work, will need that key to get it. Just to be near the car to unlock it by pushing on the outside door button, beeps once. Touch it again, beeps twice and is unlocked. Just touch start, its running.

But this is only provided both the vehicle and remote batteries are good. That is what that key is for, only other way to get inside that car. If its just the remote battery is bad, you have to use the remote to push on that start button, if the car battery is dead, need help.

Its a good idea to make sure the key works, if you don't use it, could be frozen. Happened to us with our 04 Cavalier, was kayaking remote was in my pocket, not in a water proof bag, and got wet. Out in nowhere, outside of cell phone range.

Tried the drivers door, was frozen, as was the passenger door, thank God the trunk worked, could drop the rear seats from the trunk and crawl in, was tight but made it. Could manually unlock the doors, and start the car with the key.

Not only the Hyundai, all new cars are this way, only have that one lock, if that is frozen will be dead meat. When I got home, had to remove the locks and clean them, remote was just wet, dried it off, new battery, and good to go again.

For whatever reason, seems like all the vehicles are the same, and they don't think about stuff like this. Am paying for towing, started this with the advent of OBD II since 1996 storing valuable code in flashram, engineers don't like this, marketing sure does.

Even if you were paying for BlueLink, still would be dead if you are outside of cell phone range, no way to contact them.

Use to have a key holder for all of my vehicles, now each has their own remote and a house key. Not sure if this is progress or not. Do carry a spare 2032 battery in my glove compartment. And goodbye 50 cent keys.

·
Registered
245 Posts
As far back as I can remember when purchasing a new vehicle would always get two sets of keys, remotes, or fobs, whatever they are calling these now.

When purchasing a used vehicle, always insisted on getting two sets, but did give in once in awhile when it only cost 50 cents to have a key made. But also would wonder, who has that other key?

These new keys have to be laser cut, may have to do a lot of shopping, just some quick sampling on the net, looking at around 150 bucks for the remote with the proper key.

Could use your smart phone for remote start, kind of enjoyed this for a year, but here after, would cost an extra 300 bucks per year to maintain this feature. This plus the cost of using your cell phone.
I am pretty sure he is asking about 2 separates FOB's (not 2 sets of keys/Fob's). He does not want one FOB to start the car and another one for remote start. He wants to be sure that the remote start they install uses the same FOB that starts the car so he doesn't have to cram 2 in his pocket with his oversized Iphone 8 plus :smile:

I don't know the answer to the question.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Not sure what your issue is with the remote, the two that came with mine are identical, and is the only way you can get into this vehicle and start it. Certainly nice to have a spare even if you are the only driver.

Also keep mine in my pocket, did attach my house key to it, have that folded over the buttons, put it in a zip lock bag, rolled it up tight and a rubber band around it. Keeps it like new and it water proof.

Reason for the house key, if we have a power failure, garage door opener won't work, will need that key to get it. Just to be near the car to unlock it by pushing on the outside door button, beeps once. Touch it again, beeps twice and is unlocked. Just touch start, its running.

But this is only provided both the vehicle and remote batteries are good. That is what that key is for, only other way to get inside that car. If its just the remote battery is bad, you have to use the remote to push on that start button, if the car battery is dead, need help.

Its a good idea to make sure the key works, if you don't use it, could be frozen. Happened to us with our 04 Cavalier, was kayaking remote was in my pocket, not in a water proof bag, and got wet. Out in nowhere, outside of cell phone range.

Tried the drivers door, was frozen, as was the passenger door, thank God the trunk worked, could drop the rear seats from the trunk and crawl in, was tight but made it. Could manually unlock the doors, and start the car with the key.

Not only the Hyundai, all new cars are this way, only have that one lock, if that is frozen will be dead meat. When I got home, had to remove the locks and clean them, remote was just wet, dried it off, new battery, and good to go again.

For whatever reason, seems like all the vehicles are the same, and they don't think about stuff like this. Am paying for towing, started this with the advent of OBD II since 1996 storing valuable code in flashram, engineers don't like this, marketing sure does.

Even if you were paying for BlueLink, still would be dead if you are outside of cell phone range, no way to contact them.

Use to have a key holder for all of my vehicles, now each has their own remote and a house key. Not sure if this is progress or not. Do carry a spare 2032 battery in my glove compartment. And goodbye 50 cent keys.

You missed the point, after installing remote start and an alarm system, he only wants to carry 1 remote, not 3 (one for each system).

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Ha, highly suggest if you want remote start, order it with your vehicle purchase, adding aftermarket remote start is the quickest way to void your factory warranty.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes. I am planning to order remote start at time of purchase, and yes, I am talking about wanting all the car's functions (including remote start and alarm) included in a single transmitter.

Bluetooth from phone might be a nice convenience at times, but I don't want to depend on that, and pulling my phone out and unlocking it, and then having to put the phone back, cannot be faster than simply punching a button on the transmitter on my keychain.

And I don't have an Iphone 8, and don't keep it in my pocket, but close enough. Iphone5 and it's on my belt. :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
You missed the point, after installing remote start and an alarm system, he only wants to carry 1 remote, not 3 (one for each system).
Some people here often miss the point and then go on and on in an expert manner, about some tangential thing, usually bunny-trailing back to some car they had 40 years ago that was just fine thank you and didn't need any fancy doo-hickies like we use today and blah blah blah. I have some people here set to ignore for that very reason.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
https://www.autobytel.com/car-buying-guides/features/10-best-cars-with-remote-start-131162/

Does give a run down on remote starts. Find this a bit disturbing from this site:

"The latest and greatest systems—like those from General Motors, Ford, Mazda, and Hyundai—use smartphone apps to access a host of features for added convenience and security."

2017 Limited came this way, both itunes and android apps are available for your smartphone, not only remotely starts your car, but also can adjust your climate controls. Not only do you require having a smart phone, but have to keep your BlueLink subscription current. No deals so far, $297.00 subscription per year to keep it working.

No longer have that Cruze, but just received a letter from OnStar, GM version of BlueLink, three years for free, ha, was hoping that letter was from BlueLink, if Hyundai is reading this, maybe they will do the same.

More and more devices are dependent on an app for your smart phone, recently purchased a new Netgear Wi-Fi router, could not even get it working like I did for years on my main computer, had to download their app.

Can't hot wire my ABS pump anymore for proper brake bleeding, need a GDS for this now. Trying to figure out what GDS stands for, think it stands for gosh darn scanner or something similar.

Ha, still have that myhyundai app on my phone for remote start, doesn't work anymore, 297 bucks would fix that.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just an update...
Haven’t bought car yet, but did obtain the vendor for the alarm/remote from the dealer, and they said they install both integrated (all in one) transmitters and not.

Just means I’ll have to impress on the dealer that I need an integrated one.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Just an update...
Haven’t bought car yet, but did obtain the vendor for the alarm/remote from the dealer, and they said they install both integrated (all in one) transmitters and not.

Just means I’ll have to impress on the dealer that I need an integrated one.
If I were you, I'd be finding out specifically from the vendor if they can install an integrated transmitter for this particular vehicle. Saying that they install both could mean that for some cars they can do integrated and for some cars they can't. You don't want to find out too late that yours is one of the cars for which they can't do an integrated transmitter.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the sound advice. I did tell the vendor the model of car I was considering, so hopefully they would have said something at that point.

Also..things moved more quickly since my last post too. Just bought a 2018 Elantra Limited, and the General Manager said that the remote start/alarm will be the same as is currently on my 2015 and in integrated remote.

Have to bring the car back for installation, so I’ll be confirming when dropping the car off.

Thank you again.

Am happy with the car,too, though have only driven on 20-30 minute test drive and 30 minute drive home so far.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Could learn something here, Limited requires downloading myhyudai app on a smart phone for remote start. Are you taking your car to an aftermarket place to remote start without this app? Or is your Hyundai dealer going to install something?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Car does come with Blue Link, and dealer did point out that I can remote start that way. They got me all set up with that and it can do a whole lot more than just start the car, and over time, I may end up using it exclusively.

But I still want to be able to start the car remotely without pulling my phone out and logging in. And there’s a 3 year free subscription for Blue Link, and if I decide I don’t need it at the end, I don’t want to forfeit the ability to start remotely, or have to start shopping for a starter.

And the vendor is the same one that did my 2015, and I was happy with that installation. That’s not a guarantee for this one, but hopefully.

In the meantime I have to get acquainted with the radio (or infotainment system?) which sounds and looks better than my 2015, but I miss the simplicity of the 2015. ——but that will be another post.

?

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Did find this on the net, but only for key starting Hyundai's:

Dealer told me three years now on BlueLink, we only got one year, while I did take the trouble to put that app on my phone, only tried it once, but made sure my garage door was opened first. Same with that 2nd button from the left on the rear view mirror to locate a store my wife was looking for, just once, so not worth paying $297.00 for another year's subscription.

Android auto does the same thing, but have to touch that upper left button on the steering wheel, while driving, lets you talk to google for a location.

Yes, that radio is something else, wife says she will never learn how to use it, but she can hit that Media button, touch bluetooth and listen to her MP3's on her iphone.

I have the clock synced to GPS, but during this time of year, have to switch off daylight savings time. Can't wait until spring time when I can switch it back on again.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Thanks for the sound advice. I did tell the vendor the model of car I was considering, so hopefully they would have said something at that point.

Also..things moved more quickly since my last post too. Just bought a 2018 Elantra Limited, and the General Manager said that the remote start/alarm will be the same as is currently on my 2015 and in integrated remote.

Have to bring the car back for installation, so I’ll be confirming when dropping the car off.

Thank you again.

Am happy with the car,too, though have only driven on 20-30 minute test drive and 30 minute drive home so far.
Congrats! Pictures please!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks. It’s kind of a “wintry mix” as they call it these days (snow, sleet, rain), so not the best for photography, but maybe later. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts