Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Just found this message board it is great.
I love my new Elantra station wagon I picked it up with 50,000 miles on it runs great and I plan to drive it for as long as I can.
Just curious on how many miles do you folks have on your Hyandi Elantra’s
I know of course it depends on how you take care of it etc, for instance changing the oil every 3,000 miles and proper tune up etc.

How many of you have over 200,000 on the cars also please be specific I am assuming you are talking about the original engine and transmission. I know some Toyota owners who have 280,000 miles on their cars. Just curios to hear from other out there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well ... Here's my two cents for getting the most miles you can:

Switch to 100% synthetic motor oil (Amsoil, Castrol Syntec, Mobil One, ... whatever). Change the oil every 5,000-6,000 miles. If you want to be really anal here ... change the filter 1/2 way through the mileage-life of the oil. (Meaning that you replace the filter at 2,500 - 3,000 miles w/o changing the oil itself).

Avoid any filter made by Fram. Heck, even Walmart's $3 "Super Tech" filters are a better choice!! However, the Mobil One filter, Purelator's PureOne, and other premium filters are great choices.

Drive long and prosper!!! :p

:57:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 2000 Hyundai Elantra Station Wagon, just a little over 69,000, but it's not doing so well. :crying:
My next door neighbor has a 80's Toyota Tercel, that has either close to or 200,000 + he and his wife bought it before their oldest daughter was born, she started college this year.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Montego,

Fram is the Microsoft of the filter world.

They stopped caring about quality as soon as they had the lion's share of the market.

Glued cardboard innerds, poor filter media, faulty (if any) anti-drain valves, etc.

Good reading here: http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php

Also .... do a search on your favorite search engine for "fram sucks" .... :grin:

Honestly ... the WalMart $3 cheapie is a superior choice. It's a Purolator I believe.

And ......... "Heck" is an expression, NOT a product. It's used as a replacement for the word "h*ll". :wink2:

Take Care!!

Originally posted by montego@Feb 21 2005, 02:39 PM
97elantrabase, out of interest why have you given the fram and heck filters the big no no?
[snapback]7433[/snapback]​

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
thanks for the reply 97elantrabase, the reason that l asked is that in the u.k. fram filters are as common as tomato sauce........certainly something to think about

·
Registered
47 Posts
Oh.... same here!!! ..... Fram is #1 in America too. ...... Utill I did a bit of research I thought that they were the best too.

Same as Microsoft !!!!! ............. :grin:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice.
Still looking for more ansewrs.
I am hoping to get 200,000 out of my elantra.
Cmon folks how many of you have over 150,000 on there cars.
Any one out there hit 300,000 I am just curious.
Again I do know it depends on how well you take care of it I am just curious.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
97elantrabase thanks for your reply.
Which filter out of the ones do you use in particular you listed several below?

"""Avoid any filter made by Fram. Heck, even Walmart's $3 "Super Tech" filters are a better choice!! However, the Mobil One filter, Purelator's PureOne, and other premium filters are great choices"""""""

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've had good luck with the PureOne and just bought some Baldwin filters. Baldwin is a big player in the diesel (as in "Big-Rigs" & earth-movers) market and are reported to be top notch filters. Take a look at this: http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html

Originally posted by jgg765@Feb 28 2005, 03:43 PM
97elantrabase thanks for your reply.
Which filter out of the ones do you use in particular you listed several below?

"""Avoid any filter made by Fram. Heck, even Walmart's $3 "Super Tech" filters are a better choice!! However, the Mobil One filter, Purelator's PureOne, and other premium filters are great choices"""""""
[snapback]7908[/snapback]​

·
Registered
136 Posts
To make your car last: follow the maintenence schedule from the manufacturer.

If you WANT to waste money, by all means change the filter every 1/2 oil change.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Make sure you throw a tank of super in once in a while too. Just as wasteful as changing filter every month.

FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURERS MAINTENANCE PLANS.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Originally posted by 97ElantraBase@Feb 22 2005, 07:58 AM
Hi Montego,

Fram is the Microsoft of the filter world.

They stopped caring about quality as soon as they had the lion's share of the market.

Glued cardboard innerds, poor filter media, faulty (if any) anti-drain valves, etc.

Good reading here: http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php

Also .... do a search on your favorite search engine for "fram sucks" ....  :grin:

Honestly ... the WalMart $3 cheapie is a superior choice.    It's a Purolator I believe.

And ......... "Heck" is an expression, NOT a product. It's used as a replacement for the word "h*ll".  :wink2:

Take Care!!

[snapback]7489[/snapback]​

Do you believe everything you see online? Lets see my Family has owned 13 cars in the last 10 years all Fram Filters not a single problem.

The Society of Automotive Engineers approved an industry standard test called the “Single Pass Efficiency Test” (SPE) to measure a filter's ability to remove contaminants from the engine’s system. The SPE Test is one of the industry standards for evaluating and comparing oil filter performance, and measures a filter's ability to remove less than 20 micron-sized particles of dirt the first time through.
The FRAM Extra Guard filter performs at 96.2% efficiency in the single-pass efficiency tests.

Just buy what you can afford I prefer Fram over most filters and the proof is ^above. Either follow the Hyundai Maintenance plan, or a good rule of thumb and what I personally do in all of my cars is change the oil and filter every 3000 miles.

·
Registered
47 Posts
And some people believe that they are actually helping the USA by voting the democrat party line too!!!!

What ever gives you a "warm and fuzzy" !!!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
And 1 more thing that website you linked with the oil filter reviews was updated November 2003, Maby if they did a comparison every couple months or updated there facts once and a while I would listen. I changed the Filter on my Elantra today guess what I put on for a filter? well I'll tell you, a Fram. What was on it was a Purolater and it was actaully Rusting around the lip of the filter, if that aint quality then I dont know what is.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Your defending an oil filter.

Fram is known to be average quality. Probably will last for the time you need. I use them if I don't see other brands.

However, just because you hear/see a company all the time. (good marketing) doesn't mean they make good stuff.

For Example: Bose speakers. garbage + good marketing = $$$

·
Registered
42 Posts
Follow the manufacturer maintenance Plan.
with Hyundai filter.
And expect 250000 miles AT/gearbox.
and 200000 Manual gearbox.

Regards

Selenico77

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought my 98 elantra used with 155KMs on it, I now have just under 200 000 and still running strong. No problems so far.

I get the oil changed every 5000kms and it is rust checked.

Treat it good and it will treat you good in return!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Look at thousand pics at http://www.bobaedream.com. It's not in english I know, I'm not doing any advertise. But after my huge listing of this server the most mileage Lantra's J-2/RD I found was some with cca 215.000 kms (correct if Koreans counting in miles not kms :) ). Why there's not any Lantra of about 300.000 miles and above?? :clap:

I think 200.000 miles is the reasonable average.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts