Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My power steering makes noise. It's directly tied to engine rpm, not steering force, but gets louder the more I'm using the power steering. For example, on a long highway trip it will quiet down and you don't hear it, but getting on the highway after a stretch of corners and it'll be louder than the engine. I took it into the dealer, first they said they couldn't hear any problem, then they said the noise was normal. Is this true?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Depends on how much noise.. I'm here,, your there, I can't be of much more assist..

Did you look at the fluid level, is it correct ? Is it low, if yes, then you gots a line or rack leak and the low oil is making the pump noisey.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll try and get a video of it tomorrow so you can at least hear a comparison of it against the engine noise.

Fluid level is good, no leaks that I can find and no dripping anywhere.

·
Registered
651 Posts
nope not normal. my sonata's is louder than the accent's, but you can only hear either one when you've turned the wheel to the limit. Did you check the fluid? You might have had low fluid from the factory and now you're starting to hear some of the effects...

·
1,565 Posts
QUOTE (isaac1909 @ Sep 22 2010, 09:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358146
nope not normal. my sonata's is louder than the accent's, but you can only hear either one when you've turned the wheel to the limit. Did you check the fluid? You might have had low fluid from the factory and now you're starting to hear some of the effects...
Same here. No noise until wheel is all the way turned. Definitely take it in and don't let them blow you off.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (jsinton @ Sep 22 2010, 06:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358135
I thought I had seen that somewhere. It also explains the symptoms perfectly. Air gets into the system as it's used and noise increases. When I asked them they said it only applied to the elantra, not the accent. I think I'm going to file a complaint with hyundai. Lying to my face about something that's obviously been an issue in the past just tears it. They must be getting paid by hyundai to take care of warranty issues, so why blow me off like that?

The fluid is fine, it's right at the full mark on the reservoir. I do get a noise when I turn to full lock, but it's a different noise. More muted and much quieter, basically what I'd expect from power steering. The whine I have is loud and constant, sounds almost like a drill spinning up and down with the engine.

I have an appointment with a different dealer for tomorrow. I'll bring a printout of that TSB just in case.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dealership #2 said it's within normal tolerance for noise. I showed them the print out of the TSB and they said it didn't apply to new cars. Escalated to service manager, nothing. They made me stand there and listen until the radiator fan kicked in to make sure that wasn't what I was hearing.

I guess considering your customers to be idiots and refusing warranty service on a $54 part is worth losing a customer over. Aside from this stupid issue it really is a decent car, I just don't see the point in buying a new car if the warranty is worthless.

·
Super Moderator
3,760 Posts
I had the P/S pump go bad on my last car. When they replaced it, they advised me that sometimes they can't get all of the air bled out and to expect some noise for a while, which it certainly had. :blink:  But they were right, it did go away eventually.

Can't say I'm hearing the same noise out of my Accent.  I have had my share of power steering noises, but it's always been a chatter or squeak due to a glazed belt which I have since rectified.

Can you go back to the dealer you bought it from and talk them into letting you fire up a new one and let the service advisor listen to both cars side-by-side? :grin: There were many times I've wanted to do that when they won't listen to you that something is wrong with the car. :grin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts