Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently interested in getting the Sonata SE. I went to dealer to test drive the GLS and the SE model but before i make my purchase I want to hear from people who own the car. When I look at this forum, all though there is a lot of great reviews, I cant help but see all the negative reviews. I also am hearing about the steering problems in the car. I am unsure of what model of the Sonata is having the steering problem if anyone knows I would greatly appreciate if you guys let me know. Also about rattling from the car again I don't know what model that is from. But basically what I am asking is:
Which sonata do you own (GLS, SE, Limited)?
How long have owned it?
Review:?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I got my Limited on June 8th. I have had no problems at all so far. No rattles or squeaks or steering issues. I am very happy with my purchase. Good Luck to you!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
49 Posts
6 months with 4000 miles, limited. So far no problems best car I have owned in my 45 years of driving. Very comfortable to set in on long trips. Most of the cars I have brought in past were buicks. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I took delivery of my GL (Canada) AT Aug 17. (Harbour Grey) I have driven about 1200K. The car is perfect. No rattles. Lots of nice comments. The base car has all the luxury that I want. I love the mp3 radio. It comes with XM but I don't need to pay for radio. The XM would be nice if I drove big K's but I will have to take a pass on $120 / year to listen to radio while in the car. I have made usp some USB sticks and I can go over a week on the same stick. Here's an interesting note. I was carless before I bought this car for over a year. I called up a dealer in Toronto (in Agincourt) and told them that I was interested in a Sonata. A salesman came and picked me up within an hour. I made a deal , he then returned me home only to pick me up on the day of delivery. Then he gave me a grand tour of the car and sent me on my way with a full tank of gas. I have absolutely no complaints about this car.

Mark :banana:

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (kingkhalid @ Sep 14 2010, 01:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356157
I am currently interested in getting the Sonata SE. I went to dealer to test drive the GLS and the SE model but before i make my purchase I want to hear from people who own the car. When I look at this forum, all though there is a lot of great reviews, I cant help but see all the negative reviews. I also am hearing about the steering problems in the car. I am unsure of what model of the Sonata is having the steering problem if anyone knows I would greatly appreciate if you guys let me know. Also about rattling from the car again I don't know what model that is from. But basically what I am asking is:
Which sonata do you own (GLS, SE, Limited)?
How long have owned it?
Review:?
Something that you should keep in mind, and this applies to ALL cars not just the Sonata, is that when you read an Internet forum, you are talking to enthusiasts. A HUGE majority of car owners never go online to talk about their cars, and the ones that do, usually do it because they are seeking specific information.

Its easy to get a negative opinion when reading several bad comments about a particular car, but remember, even though the comments might be "common" on the forum, in the actual real world, these problems are usually an extremely small minority.

Yes, some people have had problems with their steering, but that doesnt mean there is a problem with all Sonatas. Take any car, BMW, Mercedes, GM, Ford, etc, and go to a website dedicated to those cars and you'll see people ranting and raving about problems they have as well.

The '11 Sonata is a great car built by a company that has an incredible track record over the past 10 or so years in making great cars that hold up well.

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (Marktherob2011 @ Sep 14 2010, 08:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356191
I took delivery of my GL (Canada) AT Aug 17. (Harbour Grey) I have driven about 1200K. The car is perfect. No rattles. Lots of nice comments. The base car has all the luxury that I want. I love the mp3 radio. It comes with XM but I don't need to pay for radio. The XM would be nice if I drove big K's but I will have to take a pass on $120 / year to listen to radio while in the car. I have made usp some USB sticks and I can go over a week on the same stick. Here's an interesting note. I was carless before I bought this car for over a year. I called up a dealer in Toronto (in Agincourt) and told them that I was interested in a Sonata. A salesman came and picked me up within an hour. I made a deal , he then returned me home only to pick me up on the day of delivery. Then he gave me a grand tour of the car and sent me on my way with a full tank of gas. I have absolutely no complaints about this car.

Mark :banana:
I dont know if this would sway your opinion of XM, but there are ways to get it for cheaper than $120/yr. There are threads on this forum you can search for where people discuss getting it for $77 a year. The only catch is you have to keep calling back every year and requesting the "special" rate.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a harbor grey limited, 600 miles / 2 wks now. No issues yet, just love the smooth ride. Its comfy, gas avgs 34 city/hwy. no rattles or steering issues. The only thing I dont like is the XM radio, I can't seem to playback songs or save fav artists, etc... it's just a basic sat function in the dealer radio.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've had my Limited since early-August and have put about 2500 miles on it. I test drove the SE and preferred its firmer ride and steering, but opted for the LTD because I preferred the interior and features.

Handling is a step below my old Mazda6, but better than every other midsize sedan in its class apart from the current 6. The SE felt very sharp - its low-speed steering feel was beter than the Limited/GLS, which feels overboosted at low speeds but feels appropriately hefty once on the road. I have no issues with the steering angle - it tracks straight as an arrow. The car tends to understeer a bit while hustling through twisty roads, but it's predictable and easily corrected.

The engine/tranny perform great together. While it won't set any records at the track, accelleration is very good and all that I need. I'm getting decent mileage, but haven't yet seen the impressive figures on the highway as some have reported here. Interior room is more than adequate. I don't have Nav, mildly regret that decision.

The Dimension sound system in the Ltd sounds pretty good for a stock radio. At some point I'll look into upgrading the speakers and try to get a bit more punch from the subwoofer. iPod integration works fine with my Classic, and the Bluetooth connectivity is great. I enjoy XM for both music and sports and will likely renew my subscription.

After reading the posts in an earlier thread, I will be adding Shark Racing strut bar to tighten up the front end a bit.

Some minor complaints...The auto-manual shifter upshift-downshift pattern should be reversed (should be pull back to upshift push forward to downshift)...The stock tires can be noisy on some concrete highways - overall I find the car acceptably quiet...DO NOT USE A STRAP-ON BIKE RACK - I had 2 bikes strapped on for a 300 mile trip and wore the paint below the license plate down to bare metal - I used this rack on several other cars over the years and never saw this happen before. :rant2:

And don't take delivery of the car without verifying that the tie-down plugs on the undercarriage have been installed. Good luck!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Black on Black SE
3 months old
9,200 miles
Love the car and would buy it again. Minor issues but nothing that any car in this class wouldn't have.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Had my GLS since March, it has about 8,500 on the odometer and no problems thus far.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had my Harbour Grey Limited for 6 months. I still find myself staring at my car in the parking lot. It continues to be a joy to drive. I find the transmission is very smooth and the engine quiet and responsive. The cabin noise is quite low in the car. The fit and finish is very nice and I like Leather seats in the Limited edition. Add in nice tech stuff like standard usb and bluetooth plus XM radio! :grin: I had a minor annoyance with the rear passenger dome lights getting stuck when pressed. The dealer replaced it with no hassle at all!

Hope this helps

·
Registered
652 Posts
Bought a black on black Limited in Atlanta in March. Have moved to Orlando and have put 12K miles on it.

It is a stunning looking car and performs pretty well with nice bells and whistles, but it has a few flaws:

Many customers, including myself, have developed irritating rattles around or near the dash and/or glove box.
The leatherish seats are very hard, cheap looking and don't feel that great for hours of driving.

For me, the black on black was a mistake in a hot state. I'd never owned a black car before, and never will again.

Would I repeat the purchase again? I'm 50/50 on it right now...

·
Registered
40 Posts
QUOTE (Mike Eckman @ Sep 14 2010, 09:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356192
Something that you should keep in mind, and this applies to ALL cars not just the Sonata, is that when you read an Internet forum, you are talking to enthusiasts. A HUGE majority of car owners never go online to talk about their cars, and the ones that do, usually do it because they are seeking specific information.

Its easy to get a negative opinion when reading several bad comments about a particular car, but remember, even though the comments might be "common" on the forum, in the actual real world, these problems are usually an extremely small minority.

Yes, some people have had problems with their steering, but that doesnt mean there is a problem with all Sonatas. Take any car, BMW, Mercedes, GM, Ford, etc, and go to a website dedicated to those cars and you'll see people ranting and raving about problems they have as well.

The '11 Sonata is a great car built by a company that has an incredible track record over the past 10 or so years in making great cars that hold up well.
This is Canada and thaey consider 9.95 a month a deal instead of theor regular rate of 14.95 plus taxes.

Mark

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have had my Limited since April. I really like it a lot. I have some complaints but they are minor:
- I think that the seats are uncomfortable, especially on longer rides.
- There are occasional rattles from the glove box, sunroof door and somewhere in the rear deck. They usually go away but can be kinda annoying
- I don't really love the way the steering feels. It feels disconnected from the road.
- Ipod integration works but could be WAY better. Ipod controls on the steering wheel would be nice. It actually is probably less safe to scroll through artists using their system vs using the actual ipod.
-The sport shift is great when you want to downshift to get a little more torque but is pretty much useless when up-shifting to accelerate.

Things I like:
-Looks better than most cars in this segment
-Great pickup for a 4cyl
-Great gas mileage
-Pretty good audio system (will probably replace door speakers) and I love the usb port
-Lots of room for passengers and huge trunk
-Pretty fun to drive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife has the GLS since March, approx. 4000 miles on it. Absolutely great car for the price, fun to drive, great gas mileage, superior styling,... Only minor problem was a rattle from the gloves box (see the seperate thread about it). That being said, I have a 2009 Cadillac CTS with direct injection, 304hp which has plastic squeks the dealers can't fix, they also change with temperature. So the one squeak on a car half the price is no really issue. Would absolutely buy it again.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
About 4 months and 6300km later and so far it's still perfect. Not one rattle or creak from anywhere even over rough roads and dirt roads. Overall really happy with the car especially what you get for the price. There are a few things I wished it had like memory settings on mirrors and seat but not a major issue as I'm the only driver. Still enjoy the car for sure. The stock tires do suck but had them changed out for the Yoko Avid Envigor which is 10000x better especially in the rain. Yes there are people complaining about seats and hard plastic in certain areas but then again it's a 30k Canadian car fully loaded, not expecting Mercedes level material. Compared to other cars in the price range, I think the Sonata is better than the rest. Was at the auto show last year and compared it to the Camry, Accord, Altima, Fusion and so on and everyone had similar plastic and material even the close to 40k loaded Camry.

As for the steering issues, it does seem to be a minor issue. Remember that the people who normally posts on the interenet are the ones that have problems. Those who have perfect cars are less likely to share their experience except for on forums dedicated to the car like this one. So I always look at total cars sold vs number of complaints to see how bad it really is.

As for XM. Let's just say XM will call you every month and then every week when your in your final month of free trial. Each call they will give you a better offer so just hold out. I let mine expire and 2 weeks after it expired they sent a letter offering $10/ month. 3 weeks after my trial ended they called and offered $60 Canadian a year and would waive the re-connection fee so about $5 / month. I declined that too as I currently have Sirius radio with a year left in that subscription. I have the little portable one that has it's own interal antenna and surprisingly in Calgary I get reception almost all over the city without needing a external antenna. So I'm just using that through the Aux jack.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I bought my GLS in Radiant Silver in March. I've got just over 6K miles on it and it still looks and runs great. I drove all models and, although the SE was only about $1,800 more than what I wanted to pay, I thought the ride was too stiff for me and would have been too stiff for my family as well.

I did get the Preferred Equipment Package on my GLS which gives you 16" alloys, automatic headlights and the power driver's seat (a must!), but I do wish Hyunday would have just standardized on 17" wheels for the GLS and Limited models. I also personally like the simple nature of the interior of the GLS and didn't personally feel the need to get an upgraded stereo and in-dash GPS, although those are also available in the GLS.

I didn't keep the XM after 3 months although it was a lot of fun. I keep most of my music on a 4GB thumb drive and it plays fine through the audio system.

I'm getting great gas mileage and I find the car drives really well. In the hot summer months I had an occasional 'pop' from the front dash area but I'm convinced that any car with plastic will pop and crack from time to time. It's not a deal breaker and always goes away when the temperature equalizes in the car. I love the handling and the looks (especially now that I've taken off the horrible dealer decal!) and I must say that I'm a completely happy Sonata owner.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Black on Blace SE with Nav- 4/28/2010 thru 6/1/2010 (the big bang day): 1. AC fuse blew, replaced with spare all OK 2. Small tear in fabric portion of drivers front seat.

Black Grey Ltd with out Nav - 6/11/2010: Narry a problem

Difference between SE and Ltd.

SE's drivers seat more comfortable
SE's dualies and 18" tires way more pleasing to the eye
Ltd dows ride a bit cushy'er

Both great cars, no regrets! :banana:

CC

·
Registered
326 Posts
QUOTE (kingkhalid @ Sep 14 2010, 01:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356157
When I look at this forum, all though there is a lot of great reviews, I cant help but see all the negative reviews.
Take a look at these nutshell reviews of the Sonata as well as its competitors. Comments about handling, noise, cheap leather, cheap plastic interiors, etc. ABOUND in one form or another in ALL these cars.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/a...65.photogallery

I value the opinions of most everyone here on the forum, and I intently read their comments about rattles, road noise, seats, etc., but you've REALLY got to take them all in context.

As for me? A black-on-wine Limited with almost 8K. Very satisfied...but very realistic, too.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts