Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife called me a few minutes ago and said she had trouble getting the car to lock. It finally worked. When she came out of the store she had trouble getting back in but was eventually able to. I assume these fobs have a battery. How long does it usually last? I got my Santa Fe last September so it's been almost a year.

And I know it's a little late to be thinking about this but how do you get into the car with the key? I don't recall seeing a place for the key on the door. The manual is in the car with my wife.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Pages 4-21 and 4-22 of your owner manual..

People get so used to using the luxuries that they forget how to use a simple key in a cylinder.. we provide 50+yr old by design key cylinder on the door so you can unlock same as front door on your home, or if car battery go dead so as to not receive RF signal.. use the key.

Use key once in a while to keep the exterior key cylinders free.. seen them stick from lack of use, lady went off deep end because she did not have remote and key cylinder was stuck..

Remote battery, they $4.97 for a 2-pack at Wal-Mart, every couple yr should suffice for moderate use, sooner if you canstantly transmitting.. people come in with complaint, first thing I do is check battery voltage, less than 2.90 volt, I put new battery in, they get mad I cannot find anything wrong with car.. we leave them sit and random hit remote when we walk by during day

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've never had a push button start before, but all of my immobilizer/keyless entry fobs have always lasted 5+ years.

I wonder if maybe while in a pocket or purse, something held down one of the buttons and drained the battery?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I never replaced the battery for the fob in my 2007 Santa Fe, but I'm also not sure if the proximity fobs use more or less power.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i bought my santa fe in september and somedays it seems like the fob isnt working as well and other times it works just fine. I dont know if this means the battery is dying or not.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Could be interference. Signals can get interfered with easily out in the open, especially if you're close to a cell tower
Very true. Once I was parked and when I came out there were emergency services vehicles everywhere (gas leak) and my fob wouldn't work due to all the radio traffic from the firefighters, police, etc. I had to use the actual key to get in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So, let's say that one has to use the key to get into the car - does the push button start work if the battery in the key fob is depleted or is the mere fact that one got into the car the trigger for the car's ability to push button start? Sorry if this sounds dumb but was wondering & hopefully the question is clear. :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
So, let's say that one has to use the key to get into the car - does the push button start work if the battery in the key fob is depleted or is the mere fact that one got into the car the trigger for the car's ability to push button start? Sorry if this sounds dumb but was wondering & hopefully the question is clear. :)
According to the manual, you have to physically touch the fob to the start button as you press it. That should be enough to get things going until the battery can be replaced.

I don't know if this works for a "completely dead" battery, or just a "nearly dead" battery.

·
Registered
66 Posts
-the key fob for my '11 sonata (push button start) has been going strong for 2 years now with the original battery.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm a wee paranoid of this. So the FOB battery dies....

You use the key to open door, I assume this deactivates the alarm????

You touch the fob to the start button, in essence just use the fob to push the button???

All is good you can drive to home???

Has anyone for S's & Giggles taken the battery out of the fob and just tried this????

1 - 12 of 12 Posts