Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My factory installed rear pads lasted only 20K miles while front has still some life left at 33K miles. From my understanding front pads should wear faster than rear. Do NF Sonatas have problems with eating breaks?

·
Registered
122 Posts
. Do NF Sonatas have problems with eating breaks?
Yes they do. There are a bunch of threads that address this issue with the rear brakes. The issue is rusting of the brake bracket pad which binds up the pad leading to premature wear. This happens more frequently in areas where salt is used in the winter. I wore through my back brakes at 35k with plenty of meat still on the front pads. The fix is to inspect the brakes every so often and make sure the area of the bracket/shim/pad has grease and no rust build up.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Nelly (my former '07 GLS) went 136,774 on her rear brakes. Note that 100,000 of those were freeway miles.

Regards,
GEWB

·
Registered
217 Posts
My factory installed rear pads lasted only 20K miles while front has still some life left at 33K miles. From my understanding front pads should wear faster than rear. Do NF Sonatas have problems with eating breaks?
The fact that rears wore out much quicker than fronts certainly indicates a problem. And 20k miles is very few miles.

In my 06 Sonata the fronts always lasted ~30k miles and the rears ~60k miles. And this was mixed driving, more in the city (Northeast), and I have always been quite heavy on the gas and brakes.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for input everyone. I doubt they would fix it under warranty (still have one year left). What can I do on my own to diagnose the problem? Edit- Read responses, thanks Valmorphanize

1 - 8 of 8 Posts