Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. New to the Hyundai forums and looking forward to learning a lot and hopefully helping others too.

I just picked up a new 2013 Santa Fe and was wondering…how long before it is ok to apply a first coat of wax. Does it still hold true that new paint needs time to “cure” before having any wax applied?

Thanks for any advice!

·
Banned
532 Posts
:00000732:
To the forum, lot's of great information here for you.

There's no longer a "cure" period with todays paint systems, this being a forum I'm sure some will chime in with differing opinions. We've had some people that have stripped, clay bared and waxed their cars a week or two after purchase.

At the top of the DM 2013 + Santa Fe forum under DIY you'll find tips and people's favorites when it comes to waxes and detailing, there's also one dedicated to the topic on the main page.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Factory paint is baked on and cured already so it is safe to wax your Santa Fe anytime you want. But for a newly painted vehicle from autobody shop, it requires 3 to 6 months before it can be waxed safely.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Clay first to get the paint properly clean then wax. You'd be amazed just how dirty your 'shiny new car' can be. When I got my 2010 Santa Fe, I clayed it right off the showroom floor and the clay came off black as night from all the rail dust.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Clay first to get the paint properly clean then wax. You'd be amazed just how dirty your 'shiny new car' can be. When I got my 2010 Santa Fe, I clayed it right off the showroom floor and the clay came off black as night from all the rail dust.
Many pro detail shops now offer "new car prep" packages which includes paint cleaning and polish, along with either wax or opticoat.

People have no idea of how much dirt, rail dust, etc from storage and transport of a new vehicle.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I actually think it's best to wax as soon as possible. The paint on my Elantra GT is super soft, and as a result, it's very susceptible to water spots. It needs some form of protection from the elements.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts