Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
335 Posts
I was charged extra because it was a new & unproven model. They even called it a GLS. Shouldn't they return some of my money :whistling:

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
QUOTE (NFV6 @ Sep 20 2010, 03:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357473
I was charged extra because it was a new & unproven model. They even called it a GLS. Shouldn't they return some of my money :whistling:
Did your ins. co. actually put this statement in writing? The Sonata is a plain Jane sedan (pardon me) -- not some new ford cobra maserati ferrari hybrid.

The ins. co's are doing some weird things under the guise of so-called "reason codes". They create in house lists of 30 or 40 reasons to raise your rates -- these usually relate to things like your credit, whether your telephone bills are late getting paid, too many credit cards, and so forth.

But, that's definitely a new one on me. I better watch out, driving exotic stuff like a Hyundai LX and a Ford Taurus.

·
Banned
335 Posts
QUOTE (kn5owa @ Sep 20 2010, 07:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357539
Did your ins. co. actually put this statement in writing? The Sonata is a plain Jane sedan (pardon me) -- not some new ford cobra maserati ferrari hybrid.
They sure did KN in the name of a new Policy declaration. :thumbsup: As far as it being unusual, no its not? Anytime you purchase a Brand New Car that has no

Insurance Data in yet, you can always be faced with this situation. At the time the Sonata GLS/LX (NO DIFFERENCE) was considered a high output sports like car,

at least the LX model we have. And the Sonata LX was worth twice what my 2005 Elantra cost. So I fail to see the State Farm conspiracy? On a sour note I did get a

letter recently from my ex East Coast State Farm agent who I loved! Seems like I might be the victim of some potential ID Fraud. Like a Good Neighbor I guess?

Oh and Credit believe it or not can not be used under the Golden States laws for determining any Insurance premiums. That is a newer law! :trophy:

·
Registered
97 Posts
I find insurance costs to be quite good on the Nf. I have a friend who has a Santa Fe and his rates are better and I'm the one with the perfect driving record. Anyway, each area and vehicle is different. Being a Hyundai I thought it would be lower than it is though. Definitely not as high as my Honda though. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
QUOTE (NFV6 @ Sep 21 2010, 01:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357599
Oh and Credit believe it or not can not be used under the Golden States laws for determining any Insurance premiums. That is a newer law! :trophy:
California likes to pass laws - sounds like they did something right this time - elsewhere, the ins. co.'s are having a ball sticking people with credit factors under the guise of so-called "reason codes". These make fascinating reading if you see a copy on the 'net.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Insurance companies determine their rates based on the car's model, as the list I submitted is showing, the car's age ------- but also based on the main driver's record, and even his/her CREDIT SCORE.... Of the 3 cars we insure, my '06 I4 Sonata is the least expensive to insure, my wife's '05 V6 Accord is more expensive (it's still a more expensive car), and my daughter's '09 Impreza (a leased car, and she was younger than 25 when last renewed) is BY FAR the most expensive to insure, more than DOUBLE my Sonata....

·
Banned
335 Posts
Ah but that is all changing. You have no CLUE© mama, at least in Illinois, but there is a separate report kept about all drivers in the U.S., and it is called

CLUE, run by ChoicePoint Experian. Anyway there are a bunch of States that are changing their unfair laws. :banana:

"Typically, insurance rates will vary from State to State and can even vary by ZIPCODE! It also will depend on the type of car/truck, coverages, limits of liability, and driving record. Some companies run credit scores and MOST run a motor vehicle report and CLUE (Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange) report to see about undisclosed accident involvement."

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, they use many other factors, indeed. The zip code is important, some areas in the same city might be more prone to criminal activities than others. Even HEALTH INSURANCE companies rate clients by their zip codes....

Also, you'll get a better rate if your car is parked in your own private garage, rather than in your condo's garage, where other cars can hit your car, or an irate neighbor might vandalize it....

...But the most important criteria is YOUR DRIVING RECORDS.... A speeding ticket is not gonna make your insurer fall in love with ya.

·
Banned
335 Posts
QUOTE (mamamia @ Sep 22 2010, 12:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357929
Yes, they use many other factors, indeed. The zip code is important, some areas in the same city might be more prone to criminal activities than others.
Well this is known as Red Lining, and one day will not be permitted as in a way it is saying those bad people a mile away should pay more. However the Insurance

Industry is very popular, and have deep pockets into Washington. When you get a quote, it has a lot to do with who you are, how you drive, Credit if allowed, the

value and options in your Car, and many other factors including current repair data on your model Car. I had a problem with State Farm, as they didn't have this

information in 2006. Its an insurance thing, They rock by the way, :trophy: except for the person who possibly stole my information and was arrested! :banana:

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
QUOTE (NFV6 @ Sep 22 2010, 01:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357931
Well this is known as Red Lining, and one day will not be permitted as in a way it is saying those bad people a mile away should pay more.
One day will not be permitted? Don't hold your breath. The trend is in the opposite direction, whether it's car insurance, credit card fees, bank fees, or whatever.

See for example:ins. codes

Makes for some interesting bedtime reading. My ins. co. hit me with a couple of these a few years ago, and all I did was lease a car. Reason codes were first used by the credit scoring companies and copied by the insurance co's. Now the ins. co's are producing their own lists. It's another way of getting around any restrictive laws that might be passed.

·
Banned
335 Posts
Well that was Copyright 2004. Things have become better. For example I went from an excellent Credit rating to the bottom 11% of America without

doing anything? I do need to thank Chase for closing 3 lines of credit, one they just opened, welcoming me from that terrible Washington Mutual. Best Bank ever!

Then most of my other Cards followed. Since 2004 things have changed for consumers, and consumer protection is almost non existent. You would think the

Government would be looking out for us. Wait til' the Health reform kicks in soon. In any case you can't win with insurance.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
QUOTE (NFV6 @ Sep 22 2010, 04:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358070
You would think the
Government would be looking out for us. Wait til' the Health reform kicks in soon. In any case you can't win with insurance.
I would say consumer protection is just about non-existent today. The fed'l gov't did throw us a little bone by of the new credit card statements that tell you how many decades it will take you to pay off your bill if you apply only the minimum pmt.

The scams that I see openly advertised on network television at night would have gotten people locked up not too many years ago.

·
Banned
335 Posts
I am very disappointed in the way Insurance policies in general are written. There are homeowners in Florida that can't get Insurance

for their home. California is a terrible place, but at least they regulate these predatory policies that have been used for Years.

You would think the Government would put an end to all this nonsense, but things are getting worse. You can't even buy an "Extended Warranty"

or VSC without using a California licensed agent here. Higher prices no doubt for what the State calls "Mechanical Breakdown Coverage"

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I'm 28, Male. NYC
Great Credit History
Have Geico Insurance
Driving Sonata Limited 2010 (Rated "F" in Geico Account) - Not sure what that means.
No Criminal Background
No Speeding Tickets
No Accidents on record
Took Safety Course
Pay every 6 months of Insurance ($1060)
Am i paying alot?

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hope it is $1,060 a year, not every 6 months....

A newer car will obviously be more expensive than an older one, since totaling it will cost the insurer a lot more... We also don't have the info about your coverage. and NYC will be more expensive than some small town in Ohio....

But I would check around. Geico is NOT necessarily the most inexpensive one, even though those TV ads (which cost LOTS of money) heavily advertise it as being one.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
QUOTE (mamamia @ Sep 29 2010, 12:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359629
I hope it is $1,060 a year, not every 6 months....

A newer car will obviously be more expensive than an older one, since totaling it will cost the insurer a lot more... We also don't have the info about your coverage. and NYC will be more expensive than some small town in Ohio....

But I would check around. Geico is NOT necessarily the most inexpensive one, even though those TV ads (which cost LOTS of money) heavily advertise it as being one.

Yeah its every 6months that totals $1060.
Full Coverage.
Am i being raped?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (No43 @ Sep 29 2010, 01:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359683
Yeah its every 6months that totals $1060.
Full Coverage.
Am i being raped?
That does seem like a lot for just 6 months for a Sonata. Are you single? What is your detuctible for collision and comprehensive? What are your limits for liability, bodily injury, and property damage. I know these questions can seem invasive and feel free to not answer them, but they would help to determine if what you are paying is reasonable or not. I would suggest you get quotes from several other insurance companies. When I shopped around 25+ years ago for insurance for my Saab, being under 30 at the time, I surprisingly found State Farm to be the lowest among the major insurance carriers back then. Since then I have been more than fairly treated by them through thick and thin and their customer service has been more than satisfactory.

Living in Colorado for that last 25+ years, both single and married, I've never paid more than $1200/year for car insurance. I now have 250K/Liability, 500K/Bodily Injury, 250K/Property Damage with a 250 deductible.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
QUOTE (ActionMan @ Sep 29 2010, 03:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359687
That does seem like a lot for just 6 months for a Sonata. Are you single? What is your detuctible for collision and comprehensive? What are your limits for liability, bodily injury, and property damage. I know these questions can seem invasive and feel free to not answer them, but they would help to determine if what you are paying is reasonable or not. I would suggest you get quotes from several other insurance companies. When I shopped around 25+ years ago for insurance for my Saab, being under 30 at the time, I surprisingly found State Farm to be the lowest among the major insurance carriers back then. Since then I have been more than fairly treated by them through thick and thin and their customer service has been more than satisfactory.

Living in Colorado for that last 25+ years, both single and married, I've never paid more than $1200/year for car insurance. I now have 250K/Liability, 500K/Bodily Injury, 250K/Property Damage with a 250 deductible.

Oh wow thanks for the enlightment Actionman. I would have to look thru the booklet and review my coverage and deductibles in order to answer your questions. but yes it seems i am getting raped. Thanks for comparing. I will do my homework after my 6 months are done. Maybe I should move to Colorado....hahaha jk

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (No43 @ Sep 29 2010, 02:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359696
Oh wow thanks for the enlightment Actionman. I would have to look thru the booklet and review my coverage and deductibles in order to answer your questions. but yes it seems i am getting raped. Thanks for comparing. I will do my homework after my 6 months are done. Maybe I should move to Colorado....hahaha jk
You could do way worse moving to Colorado. On second thought, we are already suffering from Californification the last decade or two. :wink2:

BTW, if you can find a much better deal, you might want to think about switching before your next renewal anniversary. I'm sure you could think of other things you'd like to spend the savings on other than car insurance.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts