Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A close friend bought a SF XL brand new this winter from a short list of vehicles I recommended which had V6 power. The Sorento was the alternative where as others were just too large.

After the subzero cold has eased off rust spots covered this new vehicle (White) and could not be missed. Shocking to them the dealer I advise them to head back right away and get it reported and logged for warranty correction. Whatever that would be I did not know.

Vehicles have been transported by rail for too many decades to be of any surprise for anyone that it causes body paint problems. Its only been recently I see white plastic coating on some makes (for this or other reasons I am not sure). Body anti rust prep with zinc and whatever layers in the painting process should easily be a science now. It was in 1997 when I got a Caravan which was the first vehicle with Clear Coat over the paint pigment and never a problem with it. As paint evolved it only got better in my opinion but maybe is skimping with to thin electro static application that responsible now.

If this is a problem something is overlooked including the Hyundai and the dealer not addressing this prior to handing over a vehicle to the buyer. Its very bad experience after investing I am sure well over $40k on this loaded vehicle now supposedly going to get a clay bar cleaning which does not address nooks and crannies as I understand it.

I know its a good generation newer than this forum but good to know if you are entertaining anyones new vehicle and this crowd may have more knowledge than those who are new to the lineup. I know it would bother me to know end if it was me. Body rust is expensive to resolve as is paint damage. I appear the Hyundai is NOT doing anything but the dealer is paying for the cleaning themselves with only months since it was sold they don't have a leg to stand on.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Every manufacturer forum site I visit from time to time (Ford, GM, Dodge, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, & VW) all deal with this same issue to some extent. The top suggestion tends to be a good clay bar treatment soon after purchase along with waxing and sealing.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems that dealers should be addressing this as part of their pre delivery maintenance and not wait unit someone has to find out months later.

Whether my friends case will result in a sealing or not is unknown. Who's product is Pro X? If the vehicle is sealed and/or waxed then what?

The railways have been transporting vehicles since they were built and I doubt the steel wheels are much different. Hence nothin new other than maybe the paint is poorly conceived if it can get impregnated with iron particles in transit.

Anyone considering a new vehicle should be aware of this and find out what is that dealer doing prior to them driving it off the lot.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I recall when cars were also having a lot of issues with acid rain ruining new paint. A lot of new cars ship with the protective plastic sheets covering critical areas.

·
Registered
13,350 Posts
It seems that dealers should be addressing this as part of their pre delivery maintenance and not wait unit someone has to find out months later.

Whether my friends case will result in a sealing or not is unknown. Who's product is Pro X? If the vehicle is sealed and/or waxed then what?

The railways have been transporting vehicles since they were built and I doubt the steel wheels are much different. Hence nothin new other than maybe the paint is poorly conceived if it can get impregnated with iron particles in transit.

Anyone considering a new vehicle should be aware of this and find out what is that dealer doing prior to them driving it off the lot.
I was a detailer for a year.

We don't get the cars until they are sold. When they come in the techs add whatever DIOs to the car, take the plastic off the seats, check the fluids, etc. Then it goes out on the lot. You come in, say "I want that one" and then they turn it over to us to have ready in an hour. Even if you SEE the rail dust, you don't have time to get rid of it.

One time they wanted a car in 30 minutes. Customer paid cash and was going to wait. I said, if you want a good job in 30 minutes, you're going to give me a $25 bonus.

Since I was the best guy in the shop...they did! :eek:

To @Tripplec - Even if we SEE the rail dust we don't have time to deal with it. How long did it take you to notice it? Imagine spending a whole 45 minutes with a car? Wash, spray wax, clean/check the interior, etc. (Note: not having a chip on my shoulder, just sayin' ;) )

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see the majority on the lot with nothing on them sitting waiting to be sold. You scenario is not the norm nor was what my friends bought. They got is when it was ready from local stock.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I have rail dust issues on my GMC as well. Seems to affect, or be more readily visible, on white paint. Even with a clay bar and a good waxing, the rest spots will return. I would suggest the product that tenergy recommended, also Griots Garage sells a product specifically for the removal of rail dust. I have not tried it on my GMC but I most likely will this summer. Fortunately I have not noticed this problem on my Santa Fe.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I googled it and did not see a specific Rail Rust rust product. A lot of washes etc and numerous other products including a rust gel.

Edit: I found the Pro X iron remover.

I requires covering the entire area and the bottle is small. Some surfaces must be avoided. Sealing and/or thorough waxing is needed after to protect the surface its used on. I myself am not certain if further damage is being done to the paint used here. I would take a case or more of the product to cover a car this size.

This is a manufacturers issue and they should have to hire and/or provide the authorized treatment to the vehicle. One that does not undermine the corrosion protection and paint finish quality of a brand new vehicle. An owner should never inherit one with this issue. I would be super ticked if it were me and another reason I don't buy new anymore. Last one I spent most of its warranty driving to the dealer weekly for repairs. Most of the vehicle was replace in that time.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, link works. The dealers should use this as apposed to the cheaper Clay Bar method which these people says leave bits behind in the paint. Ideally the vehicles should be properly protected to eliminate this. There is nothing as bad as buying a shiny new vehicle and have it bloom with rust spots all over. I'd have it conditional in a new card agreement that is Rail Dust free!!!

·
Registered
13,350 Posts
I see the majority on the lot with nothing on them sitting waiting to be sold. You scenario is not the norm nor was what my friends bought. They got is when it was ready from local stock.

Rail dust is usually removed at the railhead, when PIOs are installed. Sometimes one or two slip through.

There are some caveats: on really hot selling models they push them through as quickly as possible, so sometimes one or two slip through the cracks, both at the unloading point and at the dealer. We didn't do spot checks or walk through the lot looking for rail dust. Didn't have the time.

Reactions: mogleybear

·
Registered
13,350 Posts
I have rail dust issues on my GMC as well. Seems to affect, or be more readily visible, on white paint. Even with a clay bar and a good waxing, the rest spots will return. I would suggest the product that tenergy recommended, also Griots Garage sells a product specifically for the removal of rail dust. I have not tried it on my GMC but I most likely will this summer. Fortunately I have not noticed this problem on my Santa Fe.

Definitely more noticeable on white paint. And US cars seem to be the worst for it as well. If we had one Toyota come through with noticeable rail dust, we had 4 Fords.

Foreign made cars don't suffer as bad, because they are prepped for shipping by sea, usually with a washable coating that keeps any slat water from settling on the car.

·
Registered
13,350 Posts

·
Registered
13,350 Posts
Yep, link works. The dealers should use this as apposed to the cheaper Clay Bar method which these people says leave bits behind in the paint. Ideally the vehicles should be properly protected to eliminate this. There is nothing as bad as buying a shiny new vehicle and have it bloom with rust spots all over. I'd have it conditional in a new card agreement that is Rail Dust free!!!

Ford had a 2-stage dust removal procedure that started out with something similar to a clay bar, and then followed up with something like the Griot's.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well until my friend asked me about it on his new SF XL I never heard of it before. I was so surprised but nothing I could do about it.
I guess he'll see how he gets it back from the dealer and if it returns. Then what....

It's white paint so it won't hide being seen easily. He's over for dinner in an couple hours. We'll no doubt talk about it.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Edit: I found the Pro X iron remover.

I requires covering the entire area and the bottle is small. Some surfaces must be avoided. Sealing and/or thorough waxing is needed after to protect the surface its used on. I myself am not certain if further damage is being done to the paint used here. I would take a case or more of the product to cover a car this size.
Not at all. I bought the bottle I linked on Amazon, whatever size that is.. and I've used it for 2 Tucson's and still have at least half a bottle left. Sprayed most of the front end, side panels and doors, and even some rear panels.

You don't need to wash the entire car in it, only hit the spots that need cleaning. They are small spots afterall.

Honestly you or your friend just need to buy one of the two products mentioned here and take care of the problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This is a manufacturers issue and they should have to hire and/or provide the authorized treatment to the vehicle. One that does not undermine the corrosion protection and paint finish quality of a brand new vehicle. An owner should never inherit one with this issue. I would be super ticked if it were me and another reason I don't buy new anymore. Last one I spent most of its warranty driving to the dealer weekly for repairs. Most of the vehicle was replace in that time.[/QUOTE said:
Respectfully, it won't happen. Get over it.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I saw the problem first hand yesterday.

The spots are along the lower area for doors and panels most. Few higher but none that I notice above the door handles. Hood was clean and roof being Panoramic glass is unaffected. I ran my finger over a number of the orange discoloured areas and could not feel anything. It was smooth and I was curious to see if the clay bar process will actually remove them. The colour of the contamination appear imbedded in the paint or surface layer of the body.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts