Hyundai Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Blind spot detector can be switched off, thinking about doing this, on many of our interstate exits, right lane is very short for the turn off. Then instantly changing from a 70 mph speed to a 25, so really have to slow down before getting there.

If there is a guy behind you with traffic in the left lane, also has to slow down, but gets teed off and slams on the gas passing you on the left. Since your steering wheel, seems to be non-directional, get that very annoying alarm.

Other vehicles do not have this feature and having BSD can make you stupid, so still turning my head. Can say the same thing about smart cruise control and automatic braking.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have a major issue that stems across the entire line of cars that have BSD (blind spot detection) with the amber/yellow indication light in the side mirrors.
What you're saying about the amber/yellow color of the indicators makes sense; generally you're going to see other yellow lights, eg turn signals, of cars immediately behind in the side mirrors, but not red. It would be interesting to know if other colors were tested and why they settled on yellow.

It seems to me that there's the potential for lawsuits with a number of the advanced safety technologies. They can't work perfectly of course and I hope the auto makers don't become reluctant to implement more safety tech for fear of liability.

PS Love the "mayhem" videos (turn right now!) :)

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
From the owners manual:

"WARNING
The AEB braking control cannot
completely stop the vehicle nor
avoid all collisions. The driver
should hold the responsibility
to safely drive and control the
vehicle."

"WARNING
The AEB system logic operates
within certain parameters, such
as the distance from the vehicle
or pedestrian ahead, the speed
of the vehicle ahead, and the
driver's vehicle speed. Certain
conditions such as inclement
weather and road conditions
may affect the operation of the
AEB system
".

Shop manual further states major cause of the front sensors for automatic braking and smart cruise control not being kept cleaned. Who's responsibility is this? Feel its not the automotive manufacturer.

In that drive home from the Twin Cities, sun set, head lamps were extremely dim, had to stop at a gas station, lenses were covered with road salt, and had to stop again. Who's fault is this, can't sue the government for pouring this stuff on our roads.

Just saying the automotive manufactures are protecting themselves.

Does give instruction for you to keep them clean.

"• Do not apply foreign objects
such as a bumper sticker or a
bumper guard near the radar
sensor. Doing so may adversely
affect the sensing performance
of the radar.
• Always keep the radar sensor
and lens cover clean and free of
dirt and debris.
• Use only a soft cloth to wash the
vehicle. Do not spray pressurized
water directly on the sensor
or sensor cover.
• Be careful not to apply unnecessary
force on the radar sensor or
sensor cover. If the sensor is
forcibly moved out of proper
alignment, the AEB system may
not operate correctly. In this
case, a warning message may
not be displayed. Have the vehicle
inspected by an authorized
HYUNDAI dealer.

• If the front bumper becomes
damaged in the area around the
radar sensor, the AEB system
may not operate properly. Have
the vehicle inspected by an
authorized HYUNDAI dealer.
• Use only genuine HYUNDAI
parts to repair or replace a damaged
sensor or sensor cover. Do
not apply paint to the sensor
cover."

But what good does this do, as soon as you get back on a salt covered road, will be dirty again. Also idiots driving pickups without mudflaps, not happy doing 75 in a 70, should be at least 7 car lengths ahead of you before switching back to the right hand lane, but pull right in front you spraying all that junk on your car.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Quick tips and added humor

I like the camera for parking lots and I can see how if you had children or pets they could literally be a life saver. Even the best mirror drivers can't see under the edge of the trunk/hatch/wrecker bed (drove wrecker for years back in CT).
Amen to the portion with the aid in parking lots. Sometimes it can be dangerous for the well being of the car when your blind spots appear to be everywhere without a rear view camera :wink:

This was my first vehicle with a backup camera. Short answer? I’ll never own another vehicle that doesn’t have one. I back into the garage with a precision most would stand back and marvel at. And for other areas, that backup warning is my saving grace in tight, angled street parking slots like those found in older, rural downtown areas.
You’re still kicking it (alive)? Teasing ya...

Dude, you don’t need to worry about having a rear view camera with your next car purchase when you’re rolling in a convertible (more kidding around).

Here’s a sweet trick for the forum - I actually use the rear view camera when parking at home. I pull in like normal (hood first) settle inside my garage while in gear (drive), and since the reverse gear is before park, I shift to reverse to lineup the yellow line (on the media screen) closest to the car as my guide to lineup with the dividing driveway/garage cement line. This way I know my car is sitting perfectly just right inside my garage.

Or the forum could go this route which is so 70s (video shown below). My method is far better and doesn’t add an inconvenience of hanging a ball/ purchasing other devices to aid with garage parking. boom! to the entire forum...you’re welcome!

What you're saying about the amber/yellow color of the indicators makes sense; generally you're going to see other yellow lights, eg turn signals, of cars immediately behind in the side mirrors, but not red. It would be interesting to know if other colors were tested and why they settled on yellow.

It seems to me that there's the potential for lawsuits with a number of the advanced safety technologies. They can't work perfectly of course and I hope the auto makers don't become reluctant to implement more safety tech for fear of liability.

PS Love the "mayhem" videos (turn right now!) :)
*Cracking up* you’re awesome!

To the rest of the forum - the cross traffic/pedestrian detection as well as the BSD (blind spot detection) works extremely well! Dunno if this was b/c of the efforts Hyundai placed inside their newly subdivision of the Genesis brand with the sweet tech bleeding down to other Hyundai cars (with the degree of just how accurate the safety features are)...or what, but it’s so spot on!

I’ve never had a circumstance where the system failed to warn me. Other then my previous complaint with the amber/yellow light being the wrong choice of color for the side mirrors, you can truly rely on these features when it warns you.

As to the situation when a car in your blind spot and when it’s safe to change lanes once that car is further behind you, **trust me when Hyundai designed the system very well.** It’s possible to change lanes even with the light lit on the side mirror once the following car in the next lane appears far enough behind you (highly not recommend), but this is just to give how well the BSD gives a comfortable and safe distance to aid in a safe lane change.

This was a safety feature I tested fully the very moment I purchased my Sport model...and I’m more than happy with the system at this point.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts