Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Ha, wife and I test drove a 2012 Ford Focus, typically they let us take the car on our own, salesguy insisted on riding with us.

First thing I did not like as tall as I am, could not see the edge of the right front fender, just air, not east to parallel park of see how close you are to your garage door.

Second thing, the front head restrains were angled forward, salesguy said Ford was doing this for our safety, but when you leaned back your head was pointed to the floor. Salesguy said, many people don't like this so remove them. Only comment I could make, if you did and was rear ended, we were, would have broken necks and no insurance coverage.

Can't knock head restrains, without them both my precious wife and daughter-in-law would have broken necks without them, precious grandson just turned one and got a front facing car seat. Wonder if our leaders think about this, with a rear facing seat under one, his neck may have been broken. Both were hit very hard, both by larger vehicles, one was drunk, other was a texter. Both were legally stopped with plenty of cross traffic.

The way they are making vehicles today, a rear view camera is a necessity.

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N-Line 2018 Elantra GT Sport
245 Posts
Blindspot monitoring, backup camera, pedestrian backup alert, all things that were considered non-critical when I was shopping. Only because I never had them. All of those features work extremely well in the Elantra.

I have an aftermarket radio (Kenwood w/ CarPlay and Android Auto) and wired it so the backup camera is manually enabled, and I can turn it on any time I want. I find I have it on often, in traffic, as it is an EXCELLENT added blind-spot camera.

Lastly, for me, it was all simply included in the Value Edition trim which had everything I wanted, except maybe the Infinity audio (the upgraded stereo and subwoofer I added, resolved that).

The backup lights of my Sonata provide enough illumination. I find the picture quality a little fuzzy day or night.
Most of these cameras are Standard Resolution CMOS with an analog signal. Like the Elantra. It's 480i; 540i if we're lucky. But sufficient for the job, even at night.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What year are you looking at?

All 2017s have the backup camera
Here in Canada the base model 2017 and 2018 don't come with a backup camera.

That's all going to change here in Canada in spring 2018 where all vehicles will be required to have back up cams. Back up camara is a nice feature but I still myself using my mirrors. I loved having the blind spot detection feature on my rental when I was on the freeway in L.A. But not much use for them here in small town Canada.

If you can drive a 6spd the G.L manual still comes in around 19g msrp with back-up cam, blind spot dect, heated seats/wheel, cruise con., air cond, 16inch alloys, 7inch LCD etc.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
The blind-spot detection I find useful while backing up when it warns me of people/vehicles walking behind the car and are approaching it even though they are not visible in the backup camera yet. When the car is moving I find the blind spot detection less useful as I typically look behind before changing lanes.

I think you are confusing the blind spot detection with the cross traffic alert in the rear. BSD doesn't work in reverse.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Second thing, the front head restrains were angled forward, salesguy said Ford was doing this for our safety, but when you leaned back your head was pointed to the floor. Salesguy said, many people don't like this so remove them. Only comment I could make, if you did and was rear ended, we were, would have broken necks and no insurance coverage.
A friend of mine got a Focus rental a few years back when her Taurus got rear-ended and she had the same complaint about those headrests. I went with her car shopping and when we were at Ford, I noticed one of the cars on the showroom floor had a tag on it showing you how to adjust the angle by pulling it forward. If you pulled it all the way forward, it would pop back to a normal angle so when we got back in the car, she got into the driver seat and I said, "Hey..." She asked what and I just reached over and pulled the headrest forward and yep, it popped back. She couldn't thank me enough. :laughing:

Reactions: Richard Bicker

·
Registered
215 Posts
Blind spot detection does nothing for me. I have my side mirrors pointed correctly and turn my head. The trick is not to make your side mirrors work like rear view mirrors, as so many people do. I guess it doesn't hurt to have a second opinion though.

Rear camera is fun, but still I'm aware of what is behind me anyway. I like to physically check the back of my car before I back out. Rear cross traffic alert never notified me of anything I wasn't already aware of.

Maybe one day I'll put blindfolds on and make use of these features :)

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
A friend of mine got a Focus rental a few years back when her Taurus got rear-ended and she had the same complaint about those headrests. I went with her car shopping and when we were at Ford, I noticed one of the cars on the showroom floor had a tag on it showing you how to adjust the angle by pulling it forward. If you pulled it all the way forward, it would pop back to a normal angle so when we got back in the car, she got into the driver seat and I said, "Hey..." She asked what and I just reached over and pulled the headrest forward and yep, it popped back. She couldn't thank me enough. :laughing:
Interesting, so they are adjustable, salesman said they were not, but gather these guys don't know where the gas cap is and how to open the hood. Just said people removed them. Did not play with it, just left.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

That's all going to change here in Canada in spring 2018 where all vehicles will be required to have back up cams. Back up camara is a nice feature but I still myself using my mirrors. I loved having the blind spot detection feature on my rental when I was on the freeway in L.A. But not much use for them here in small town Canada.

If you can drive a 6spd the G.L manual still comes in around 19g msrp with back-up cam, blind spot dect, heated seats/wheel, cruise con., air cond, 16inch alloys, 7inch LCD etc.
This is interesting. Do we know if this change in Canada is going to be included on the remainder of the 2018 Elantra base models, or will they just introduce it on the base 2019 models?

·
Registered
619 Posts
I guess I find these features most useful in parking lot situations. The Elantra being a small car, I find myself being flanked by SUVs, etc, very often. As we all know there are more and more larger vehicles on the road now with gas prices having come down. So backing out of parking spots its helpful to hear the beeps when someone is approaching behind you from one side or the other as well as being able to see people walking behind your car. I find people often drive too fast for parking lots and it helps to get the warning sounds.

The camera also helps me to parallel park.

I know you didn't mention the audio system but I really find Android Auto useful and I'm assuming the base model doesnt have it. It seems some people kick themselves later and try to upgrade their cars after the fact after buying a base model and I think they wish they had just spent the money up front for the extras.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I too find the rear cross-path detection to be helpful. On more than one occasion, I have put it in reverse, only to hear the beep of the crosspath detection, and then waited while somebody walked past, or a vehicle I had not noticed drove past. I don't rely on it, or the blind spot monitor, but I do find them to be helpful. I am in the habit of looking over my shoulder at my blind spots before changing lanes, but on the rare occasion when I have missed a vehicle, it's good to have that light, and the beeping when the turn signal is on.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I forgot to mention the rear view camera kept me from running over the dog once. Just as I passed the frame of the garage door, she slipped around it and right behind my car. If not for the camera, I'd never have seen her.
I can really see (pardon the pun) how the backup camera would help in that situation as the driver's rear visibility at ground level is almost nil. I had friend who did back over his dog in his driveway- VERY sad indeed.

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
I installed an aftermarket 'never heard of them before' Boss head unit in my Accent. It came with a wireless backup camera that I honestly find useful. The reverse lights provide more than enough light to see by. My only complaint with it is that the camera is on a bracket that uses the plate screws so it obscures a portion of my registration decal. But at least I didn't have to drill a hole in my hatch to install a camera.

If/when I look for a new car a backup camera would be in my 'nice to have but not a deal breaker' column.

Personally, I think cars are getting too safe. Gadgets (which break) shouldn't replace responsible driving. I'm okay with or without them. I learned to drive on a car that didn't have power steering or brakes and still have never owned anything with ABS. The only gizmo I think never should have been created is lane departure warning. Seriously, if you're so distracted you can't keep your vehicle between two painted lines you shouldn't be behind the wheel.

·
Registered
942 Posts
...Personally, I think cars are getting too safe. Gadgets (which break) shouldn't replace responsible driving. I'm okay with or without them. I learned to drive on a car that didn't have power steering or brakes and still have never owned anything with ABS...
Too safe? Yeah, I guess it's much better to get crushed in an accident rather than have your vehicle absorb the impact, restrain you, or better yet, stop to avoid the accident. But who needs safety anyway. There are too many people on the road... /sarcasm

Yes, electronic driving assistance technology should not replace responsible driving. But it's a good supplement to responsible driving. The thing about being human, is that even though you're driving responsibly, your humanity dictates that you might forget to do something, or make some other mistake.

Also, I'm pretty sure your current vehicle has ABS.

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
Too safe? Yeah, I guess it's much better to get crushed in an accident rather than have your vehicle absorb the impact, restrain you, or better yet, stop to avoid the accident. But who needs safety anyway. There are too many people on the road... /sarcasm

Yes, electronic driving assistance technology should not replace responsible driving. But it's a good supplement to responsible driving. The thing about being human, is that even though you're driving responsibly, your humanity dictates that you might forget to do something, or make some other mistake.

Also, I'm pretty sure your current vehicle has ABS.
No, I didn't even mention crumple zones or airbags. I have nothing against making cars physically safer. I'm all for it. Cars are much safer for the passengers now than they ever were and they keep improving. No one's driving like an idiot because their car has crumple zones, their likely not even aware of it.

But for every driver who understands the new features are installed to assist their driving there are easily three who think they now have to pay less attention because the car will keep them safe.

Before you argue I'm exaggerating things think about how many states have had to enacted laws banning texting and driving. Texting! People are stupid. If you tell them their car will stop before they have an accident and warn them if it goes out of their lane they'll think they can take more selfies and text Buffy about the latest party. I have no doubt there's some who even think it makes it safer for them to drink and drive. So yes, I think cars are becoming too safe.

And no, it really doesn't have ABS.

·
Registered
370 Posts
But for every driver who understands the new features are installed to assist their driving there are easily three who think they now have to pay less attention because the car will keep them safe.
Unfortunately the idiotic thinking you describe cannot be cured by removing features from the vehicle. Such people can just as easily think they're "safe" because the car has airbags or because they're wearing a seat belt. Anyone who will text while driving can rationalize anything. That said I believe a real danger with some of the new tech is distraction. It took a little time to figure out how much attention to pay to the backup camera screen Vs checking mirrors and looking over my shoulder when backing up, and it was a lot less than I originally thought. And when the BSD starts beeping you have to know how to respond or else it adds to the confusion. Some people may be safer if they turn it off. IMHO the best safety features are those that require no human interaction. The new tech does give responsible drivers an edge though.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Unfortunately the idiotic thinking you describe cannot be cured by removing features from the vehicle. Such people can just as easily think they're "safe" because the car has airbags or because they're wearing a seat belt. Anyone who will text while driving can rationalize anything. That said I believe a real danger with some of the new tech is distraction. It took a little time to figure out how much attention to pay to the backup camera screen Vs checking mirrors and looking over my shoulder when backing up, and it was a lot less than I originally thought. And when the BSD starts beeping you have to know how to respond or else it adds to the confusion. Some people may be safer if they turn it off. IMHO the best safety features are those that require no human interaction. The new tech does give responsible drivers an edge though.
I have a major issue that stems across the entire line of cars that have BSD (blind spot detection) with the amber/yellow indication light in the side mirrors. I’ll key in on that area in a moment, but I’ll say the Germans ( Mercedes Benz, VW, BMW...and whatnot) got it right with using a ‘red’ indicator light inside the side mirrors.

The problem- I actually experienced this first hand. When driving around and a vehicle is in your blindspot, that same car can slowdown and pull back into sight of your side mirrors. Now here’s where the problem comes to light (laughs at double meaning) the front parking lights on the vehicle in your blindspot have amber/yellow parking lights...as well as their turn signal being the same color.

This becomes a problem when your side mirror try’s to warn a car is in your blindspot while the same color indicator on your side mirror camouflages (more laughter) into the other cars parking lights/ turn signal.

^ I bet the Germans actually thought of that and the very reason why the indicator on the side mirrors is red.

With the radio turned up just right, the audible indication inside the cabin won’t be enough when unheard over the radio. Keep in mind at higher traffic/freeway speeds, the risk becomes even greater if this tech is relied on and a similar situation like I experienced happens to someone else. I can see a future lawsuit if certain cars companies (including the likes of Hyundai) don’t change this on or before future car releases.

*** I really hope there will be a recall on the side mirrors in change for the red indication light inside instead of the current amber/yellow version in use as of writing this. ***

Hey, Victeknical....here’s a little added humor for ya!

Reactions: Victeknical

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
It took a little time to figure out how much attention to pay to the backup camera screen Vs checking mirrors and looking over my shoulder when backing up, and it was a lot less than I originally thought.
I like the camera for parking lots and I can see how if you had children or pets they could literally be a life saver. Even the best mirror drivers can't see under the edge of the trunk/hatch/wrecker bed (drove wrecker for years back in CT).

·
Registered
141 Posts
Blind spot detection does nothing for me. I have my side mirrors pointed correctly and turn my head. The trick is not to make your side mirrors work like rear view mirrors, as so many people do. I guess it doesn't hurt to have a second opinion though.

Rear camera is fun, but still I'm aware of what is behind me anyway. I like to physically check the back of my car before I back out. Rear cross traffic alert never notified me of anything I wasn't already aware of.

Maybe one day I'll put blindfolds on and make use of these features :)
Yep, when you aim all mirrors correctly on small cars you have no blind spot. On full size pickups blind spots will exist no matter what. When your add a trailer to that truck.. Yikes.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
22,793 Posts
This was my first vehicle with a backup camera. Short answer? I’ll never own another vehicle that doesn’t have one. I back into the garage with a precision most would stand back and marvel at. And for other areas, that backup warning is my saving grace in tight, angled street parking slots like those found in older, rural downtown areas.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts