Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Elantra owners, so I'm thinking of grabbing a new Elantra, and was wondering your opinions on some of the premium safety features. The base model fits my budget pretty well, but the next trim up has the backup camera and blind-spot detection. These are nice features to have, but I'd be stretching my budget if I were to get this trim.

I was wondering how useful these features are in your everyday driving? I've driven without any issues for almost 20 years without a backup camera or blind-spot detection, so I wonder if getting them would make much a difference in my case.

·
Registered
355 Posts
What year are you looking at?

All 2017s have the backup camera

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey Elantra owners, so I'm thinking of grabbing a new Elantra, and was wondering your opinions on some of the premium safety features. The base model fits my budget pretty well, but the next trim up has the backup camera and blind-spot detection. These are nice features to have, but I'd be stretching my budget if I were to get this trim.

I was wondering how useful these features are in your everyday driving? I've driven without any issues for almost 20 years without a backup camera or blind-spot detection, so I wonder if getting them would make much a difference in my case.
I find the backup camera very useful especially when parking in tight spots. The blind-spot detection I find useful while backing up when it warns me of people/vehicles walking behind the car and are approaching it even though they are not visible in the backup camera yet. When the car is moving I find the blind spot detection less useful as I typically look behind before changing lanes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When the car is moving I find the blind spot detection less useful as I typically look behind before changing lanes.
Yeah, I feel like I'm a creature of habit as well who just ends up looking before changing lanes, so I kinda wonder how crucial these would be for me in everyday use.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I do not use the BSD often. I usually turn it off. I really enjoy using the backup camera; however, it has become too much of a crutch. I stopped turning around. Almost took out two old Hmong ladies, standing outside of the camera, backing out of my driveway this month.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Gotcha. It's the law in US for all new cars to come with a backup camera.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
How well does the backup camera work at night? as in the picture quality.
On my 2012 the picture quality is excellent, day and night so I can't imagine the new ones are worse. I find it amusing that my $23,000 Hyundai has a far superior backup camera to the one in my mom's $50,000 Acura MDX...both are 2012 models.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Blind spot detection is very useful to me, particularly since DW (almost) demands it in a new car ;)
While I love the backup camera in my minivan, I don't use it much in the Elantra since rear visibility is quite good.
FWIW- There are inexpensive DIY BU cameras available in auto stores (at least in the US) & on the web.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
All I can say, about the backup camera our 2017 Limited, its excellent, large 8 inch screen, panoramic view in full color.

When backing up in my pitch black driveway at night, like daylight. Extremely worthwhile when backing up out of a parking lot, seems like some parents let their kids run wild, maybe hoping you will run over them so they can sue you for a million bucks. Can't see them by turning your head, or even looking at your rear and side view mirrors, not only see them, but get a warning audio alarm.

Shows a red line at the bottom of the screen, when you approach that, you are about to hit your rear garage wall, or keep from hitting your kids tricycle left where its not suppose to be. Those high rear seat head restrains sure block your vision.

Does have a warning message on the screen, do not depend solely on this camera, also use your mirrors. Also quite a difference between a 3-4 screen compared to an 8 inch screen. Feel its very worthwhile to have.

Ha, my first one after driving for over 60 years, not sure how I got along without one.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I do not use the BSD often. I usually turn it off. I really enjoy using the backup camera; however, it has become too much of a crutch. I stopped turning around. Almost took out two old Hmong ladies, standing outside of the camera, backing out of my driveway this month.
My Elantra is the first time I had a BSd or a backup camera and I love it ...

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
How well does the backup camera work at night? as in the picture quality.
In this market segment, it’s a nice rear view camera. Now if you upgrade your reverse bulbs to LEDs, you’ll be able to see more (further out/objects will be more lit).

My car is almost fully upgraded with LEDs. Here’s a quick snapshot when I mentioned when I replaced the bulbs to LEDs...including the license plate bulbs.

-I never got around to sharing pics with the reverse lights activated-

Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum - View Single Post - What happened in or around your 2017+ Elantra today?

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
You won't see a speeding vehicle in those narrow parking lanes, even if you did turn your head. One daughter was hit when backing up by a brainless teenager. Police were no help, said this is private property, what at a public high school? Repairing her car, actually mine was extra work for me.

Almost got hit by a speeding pickup truck Black Friday, people go nuts running from store to store, Limited is no match for a 3500 truck. Could be that same brainless teenager that grew up to be a brainless adult.

Yet another restriction for turning your head is that safety belt, but if you don't put in on first, that alarm will drive you insane, also augmented by high head restrains.

Safe to assume, that rear back up camera fills a void, but not to be trusted for all possibilities. Lets you see any person that is less than four feet tall that is not viewable by any other means.

Oh with Black Friday, safer and even more assuring to order what you want online.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
we have 2016's, and backup camera is very useful. i dont think i would like bsd, because either you gotta trust it 100%, or there is ALWAYS gonna be one of those "hmmm, is it working?" so, having the habit of looking everywhere for like 50+years, ima gonna trust looking. on another note, our elantras have some pretty bad obstructions.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The base model fits my budget pretty well, but the next trim up has the backup camera and blind-spot detection.

I was wondering how useful these features are in your everyday driving?
Regarding the backup camera in the rare instance that there's something/someone in that blind spot it could be a life saver. An unexpected benefit is it also helps with parking since you can see how close you are to the car behind you; makes me wish there was one in the front too just for parking. I find blind spot detection useful too because it reacts to people as well as cars and sometimes in parking lots it's easy to miss pedestrians.

The safety feature I sometimes wish I had spent the extra $$ for is forward collision warning/automatic emergency braking.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Are you talking actual Blindspot Detection (BSD) or just regular ultrasonic rear parking sensors? Far as I know the backup cam/sensors+warning graphic is the usual feature combo in any market. BSD (in the non generic sense) is something else entirely.

If so these features are certainly a tremendous asset on any vehicle, esp if your windows are tinted. As you state they don't replace good old fashioned mirror use, but there is no downside to them. If at all possible highly recommend them.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I like the cross traffic warning system when backing out. It helps me.
The side mirror blindspot warning is great. I now use the turn signal always, to make sure system is activated. Murphy follows me everywhere.
Backup cam a Must, esp at nighttime, imho. I am happy with my 2017 Sonata's, is one of the best I've seen. Very bright and clear. I installed an aftermarket one (w/dashcam) on a older car. Friend got hit while he sit at stop light, said idiot tried to sue him for damages. Spent whole day in court. I am going to install a dashcam on my Sonata.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I forgot to mention the rear view camera kept me from running over the dog once. Just as I passed the frame of the garage door, she slipped around it and right behind my car. If not for the camera, I'd never have seen her.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts