Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 Santa Fe AWD Sport has been approved under the engine recall for a replacement. The dealership said I can go forward with getting a rental car. I am literally having to extract information and answers to questions, yet still getting vague answers.
I have read that Hyundai covers rentals 100% on recalls and pays $35 a day for repairs up to 10 days.
I feel like I would fall under the recall but I don’t believe everything I read on the internet.
what experience has anyone had here or can I get some direct answers?
Will Hyundai pay 100% while in the shop for an approved engine recall? If not 100%, how much? Is there a specific type vehicle? Same or like make model or less? Or what is available? Is there a specific rental car company I must use? Is there a limited number of days Hyundai will cover the cost of a rental car?
the Hyundai dealership that is replacing my engine doesn’t rent vehicles. Thank you in advance.

· Registered
2018 Sonata Limited 2.0
115 Posts
Any customer that we have in our shop for an engine, we set them up with a rental through Enterprise once the engine is approved. Dealer should be the one setting it all up. At least we do.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish this was how all Hyundai dealerships managed their customer service. Apparently, this one doesn’t. I received a text that simply instructed me that my engine was approved under the recall and that I could go ahead and get my rental car, bring them receipt when my car is ready and they would submit to Hyundai. I will receive a check in the mail. That’s all I had to go on. So far my other questions have not been answered.
Can you tell me what other stipulations I should know of before renting a car? You mentioned Enterprise. That answers one question. Thank you.

· Registered
2018 Sonata Limited 2.0
115 Posts
When approve, PA says putcustomer into car

We call Enterprise and get them car here, we don't have loaners that I am aware of
We have about 20 loaners last I heard. Use them whenever it's a warranty job where the car is only going to be down for a few days. Or, we'll use them to put customers in a car until PA approves an engine and we can flip them over to Enterprise.

· Registered
2018 Sonata Limited 2.0
115 Posts
Does Enterprise still bill your customers when you set up the rental cars or do they bill you?
They bill us, then we bill Hyundai for it. Hyundai will typically only pay for 3 additional days of rental after a replacement engine shows up. If we are backed up with engine replacements (we have 1 guy that does all engines and transmissions, and sometimes we'll have a wave of engines come in if they were on backorder or something.) sometimes it'll take longer than that 3 days to finish a job. It's not the customers fault that it took us longer, and they shouldn't be responsible for paying those additional days because we got backed up, so we'll eat those additional days. Now, if we finish an engine job and the customer doesn't return the rental within 24 hours, then we bill them for the additional time in the rental.

· Registered
102 Posts
I lucked out I guess. My dealer had a loaner car set up for me one day after Hyundai approved the engine replacement.

Did you call some other area dealers to see how they might handle substitute transporation? Not sure if you can move your car to another dealer if you find one that handles it better.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Or my misfortune. I have considered contacting another dealership however while my car was on their lot my cadillac converter was stolen so they are responsible for replacing that. I can’t really move till that’s replaced and who’s to say the engine won’t be first. 🙄🤷‍♀️
Their customer service has been subpar, I can only hope their service department is A+.

· Registered
1,840 Posts
Or my misfortune. I have considered contacting another dealership however while my car was on their lot my cadillac converter was stolen so they are responsible for replacing that. I can’t really move till that’s replaced and who’s to say the engine won’t be first. 🙄🤷‍♀️
Their customer service has been subpar, I can only hope their service department is A+.
interesting to see if they actually put back Hyundai OE,, or discount auto part store u-build 'em discount stuff,, check before you leave

don't ask how I know this

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For some reason that I don’t understand, the Hyundai dealership I’m dealing with doesn’t provide a loaner car or rentals for their customers. The agent I have been assigned mentioned that Hyundai has a contract with Enterprise that they will pay $35 a day for a rental but I have rent it myself, pay for it, submit them the invoice, they will send it to Hyundai who will then send me a check in the mail.
I also spoke with the service department who couldn’t give me a straight answer on what they would pay. He stated that according to the approval, Hyundai would pay $38 a day but wasn’t sure if it would be 100%,90%, or50%. I ask if it was based on a % did it stipulate what type of vehicle I could rent, economy or like kind? He was unsure. I asked if it was based on a maximum of days. He didn’t know.
so basically I’m expected to blindly go rent a car for an undisclosed amount of days, he did mention it could be up to two months, without no knowledge of how much or how many days Hyundai has agreed to pay for a rental while they have my car on an approved recall. I’m speechless 😶 for a moment.Then he has the audacity to imply that offering to pay for a rental in part was in goodwill. Like this was partially my responsibility? How do I contact Hyundai directly?

· Registered
2,615 Posts
From the Settlement:
Hyundai dealerships will provide a free loaner vehicle of comparable value if requested, until repairs are completed. If no loaner vehicle is available, Hyundai will provide full reimbursement of reasonable rental car expenses up to $40 per day.

Money you spent on rental cars, towing services, and similar services will also be reimbursed in full, based on the following requirements:
• The expense was reasonably related to obtaining one of the Qualifying Repairs
listed above, and
• You make a timely claim using the Claim Form.

· Registered
2,615 Posts
Why can’t my dealership tell me this? Answer all my questions (same as above in original post) without hesitation or open ended.
Let's face facts, there are various degrees of service advisors/service managers, and from what I've found, 99% don't make the grade.
Of the 7 dealerships I've dealt with, only 1 person was knowledgeable and helpful, and the sad part was that this particular dealership went out of business.

Like it or not, got to do a lot of research and be well versed when dealing with these people as they all try and blow sunshine you know where.

· Registered
102 Posts
Why can’t my dealership tell me this? Answer all my questions (same as above in original post) without hesitation or open ended.
It sounds like you either have a bad dealer or they just don't know the terms of the settlement agreement. Or maybe they have not had much experience doing an engine replacement under the settlement agreement? I would open up a case with Hyundai and try to get them involved. You can open a case for this on their website.

The dealer I used had already done several engine replacements so they knew what they were doing. It's too bad that you have the catalytic converter problem or else I would try to find another dealer that is better to deal with and move the engine replacement job to there. Maybe you can still do that? Have the current dealer replace the catalytic converter that was stolen and then move the engine replacement job to another dealer. I know that might be more trouble.

Here is a tech bulletin and service campaign document that is on the NHTSA web site. Read it over so that you at least know what the dealer should be doing for you.

· Registered
38 Posts
I got a lot of run around and no straight answers as well. I ended up going to Enterprise and was given an Elantra at the $35 rate they have worked out with Hyundai. I was in the rental for 3 months. I paid it myself, submitted all the receipts to Hyundai, and was reimbursed 3 months later. I also applied for and recieved the whopping $50 inconvenience fee.

· Registered
32 Posts
I had a real hard time with the rental when I had my engine replaced. the dealership set me up w a rental thru Enterprise and I called to make sure they had something I'd fit in before I went down. I told them I'm a tall guy and I have back pain issues so I needed something as big as the SFS I was driving. they said they had something but when I stopped in they said it wasn't ready so they gave me a compact car and told me they would call me when the other vehicle was ready. after a week I never got a call so I ended up calling them like 3x over the next week and they kept giving me the run around, finally telling me that Hyundai wouldn't authorize anything more than the compact car they gave me, I believe they said there was a max price per day. I called the dealership about that and they told me there was no limit so I called Enterprise back and told them the dealership said there is no limit but they insisted that they couldn't give me another vehicle. I ended up driving around in that thing for over a month cause Hyundai had issues getting the new engine delivered, my back was in such horrible condition by the time I got my Hyundai back. I will never willingly use Enterprise for car rentals.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts