Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine and I take extra precaution when parking to prevent. I always park farther out at the last parking spot by a wall, end area, etc.

Any other good ideas out there that you guys use as preventative measures?

·
Registered
785 Posts
No need to park far away from everything, i will just park in spots where I'm in-between two empty spots.
If you do have to park next to two cars,
park in the exact middle of them, regardless of where the lines are.
Don't park next to cars that have evidence of children nearby (vans/SUVs, cars with school stickers, etc.)
Park next to cars that are clean, people who clean their car will care about the appearance of their car and likely yours too. (on that note, avoid parking next to someone where it appears that they never wash their car).

I've owned my car for 4 years and still have zero door dings, the method is working well for me so far. I also am a little lucky, I park in a garage at home, and have a parking garage at work with really wide lanes.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Like the previous poster says, I never park next to any car that looks neglected or has kids. I try to park at the end or next to something where a car will not be. I'm pretty lucky, I live in an area where most people seem to respect other peoples property.

·
Registered
118 Posts
This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine and I take extra precaution when parking to prevent. I always park farther out at the last parking spot by a wall, end area, etc.

When I am parking the car I try to choose spots where the car is exposed to other cars from only one side. I also avoid spots where there is another car parked in front (or the rear) of the car to avoid bumper dings. I also try to park the car to one side of the parking spot instead of in the middle of the spot so there is more space on the side of my car which is exposed to the door of the other car. This gives the driver/passenger of the other car more room to open their door without hitting my car. Note that you can only do this if you get a corner or edge spot which I try to get as shown below.

Below is a map of the train station parking lot where I leave the car for the day... If I am early I try to park my car in locations 1 to 4... All in corners. If I am late, I try to park in 5 and 6 spots also in corners where there is no car in front or behind. These preferred spots are also quite a bit away from lamp posts. Lamp posts are usually Sea Gull territory and if you park near those you are almost guaranteed to get bird droppings on your car. :smile:

·
Registered
105 Posts
I very rarely washed my previous car and have kids. I always mind my door when opening so as not to ding anyone else's car. I taught my kids the same. So that dirty car with kids thinking doesn't always ring true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
When I am parking the car I try to choose spots where the car is exposed to other cars from only one side. I also avoid spots where there is another car parked in front (or the rear) of the car to avoid bumper dings. I also try to park the car to one side of the parking spot instead of in the middle of the spot so there is more space on the side of my car which is exposed to the door of the other car. This gives the driver/passenger of the other car more room to open their door without hitting my car. Note that you can only do this if you get a corner or edge spot which I try to get as shown below.

Below is a map of the train station parking lot where I leave the car for the day... If I am early I try to park my car in locations 1 to 4... All in corners. If I am late, I try to park in 5 and 6 spots also in corners where there is no car in front or behind. These preferred spots are also quite a bit away from lamp posts. Lamp posts are usually Sea Gull territory and if you park near those you are almost guaranteed to get bird droppings on your car. :smile:

And yet, you still will get some Nimrod who will back in and park so close he won't be able to open the door without dinging your car...:mad:

·
Registered
118 Posts
And yet, you still will get some Nimrod who will back in and park so close he won't be able to open the door without dinging your car...:mad:
Sadly this is true... However, I believe all the steps I am taking somehow minimizes these incidents from happening.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Buddy, here’s a form to make sure almost no one else parks next to you. If they do, I would be worried the guy parked next to me is carrying. >post is meant to be humorous. Let’s not run offtopic with discussing gun control<

·
Registered
1,704 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts

Like you I often park further away from the entrances to shops. Unless the lot is near full there's little competition as people don't want to walk the extra distance with their packages, etc. Also the space allocated for each vehicle is smaller in some lots than others. At one of my local malls the slots are very small and I get as far away from other vehicles as possible. When possible I park at the end of rows so only one side of the car is exposed to another vehicle. Beyond these measures I hope for the best :smile:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Where I live there is usually some corner which is less populated with parked cars, or in car parks with a bit of an L shape you can usually park in a place not visible from the entrance and therefore not aimed for my most folks rushing to do their shopping. This requires some time driving round a car park new to you to explore options. These days there does not seem to be an issue with dingy corners of car parks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Don't park down hill in a shopping center parking lot. Shopping carts can gain a good head of steam before slamming into a car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
257 Posts
My pet peeve too. Subconscious herd-mentality to gather near others.
Especially those of higher perceived status.
Kinda like the converse truthism to "stay clear of dirty car".
My friend owns a Porsche 911 in pristine condition.
He said even if he parked 2 rows out of the crowd, someone will park next to him when there are like 50 open spaces.
I always try to find a space where no one can park to my right, e.g. end of aisle.
The idea is most people drive alone so they open the left door, in the U.S.
Once I had to cramp my F150 into tiny space, it was the only one left.
Came out and found someone keyed my door - :frown:
What? I didn't park like this bloke.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Got a mild ding in my Supra, one of my kids ran into it with a trike parked in the garage, so that is not a safe spot either.

Do you feel your vehicle will be safe if you left it in your dealers showroom? Certainly the best place to leave it to avoid road salt damage.

Was telling my son, this spring, have to tear my snowthrower apart to paint it, dang road salt is rusting it out, still runs great.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I am more concerned about dinging someone else's door since the Elantra doors swing wide compared to other cars I have driven.

My last car was a Saturn and no dings on my doors in 274,000 miles. My door ding radar has been down for years.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts