Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the story:

1. Called about a week and a half ago to have Corrosion Free applied to my car. Called a local Canadian Tire who does this in my area, and they tell me to come in before 5:30pm that day to have it done (it was approx 4:20ish). I drop the wife off at work, and get there at 4:45pm, only to be told that they are too busy and to come back again. No appointments. I complain softly and leave. I call another place that does the Corrosion Free, but they are too busy to get me in over the next several weeks.

2. Reluctantly go back this past Saturday am at 8:15. They tell me its an hour and a half. I sign a work order for the "Complete" package, which costs approx $140. Warrantied by Corrosion Free, for any rust.

3. I leave Canadian Tire, get back at 10am. I see my car has not even been moved yet.

4. Browse the store and wait until approx 11:15am. Service guy calls me over and says they had a problem...ran out of product to apply to the car and did not finish the job. Says the doors were done, trunk hinges, and bottom of the car, but some trim and such needs to be finished. Tells me that they will only charge the $50 package, and I can pay the $50 package later on to finish the job and save me some money. Says warranty will still be in effect.

5. I get out to my car and see the mess left on the car. Brown grease all over the place (some pics attached). I get home, and wife gets pissed, tells me to clean the crap off. I clean up the wheel wells, and the drivers side, and then I realize that I should take some pics as this might not be Corrosion Free (it was supposed to be clear). So I take the attached pics, and email Corrosion Free the pictures, and questions about the warranty.

6. Get a few calls from Corrosion Free today. When I finally get back to him, Jeff (Corrosion Free) tells me to bring the car back, and that the pics I showed him were not of their product. He also gives me the service manager's name, and to talk to him to get this applied correctly. Tells me to call him on his personal cell phone when I go to see Canadian Tire so that he can talk to the service manager too. Seemed really concerned that Canadian Tire would do this.

So here is my issue; I have all this grease crap on my car. I know the stuff I can see is NOT Corrosion Free, and I suspect the stuff I can't see is also not Corrosion Free (due to me seeing similar grease on the wheel wells). Also been smelling a burned rubber/grease type of smell in the mornings after driving the car to work. I don't know if this is normal for Corrosion Free, or because of the grease Canadian Tire applied.

So, is it safe to try to remove the grease/whatever Canadian Tire applied? Of course I would demand they do it, but is there a safe way to remove it without affecting the belts and hoses and such? Would grease typically break down the life of the components there (ie. do I even need to have it removed?)

Attachments

·
Registered
565 Posts
I hope CTC takes care of you and gets it all removed. There must e some sort of spray that will remove it then go. To a reputable pace like the guy that supported you and have it done properly. Good luck!

·
Registered
80 Posts
On my 2003 Elantra dealer applied same goop everywhere, door frames, under the hood, you name it. It became black filthy mess and it was total disaster. I say get them to remove it. In my case it was practically impossible, it was everywhere...

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've delt with that stuff on customers cars, no body-shop safe degreaser i have access to really puts a dent in it. I had mine done at the dealership. it was applied very nicely and is not sticky to the touch. i don't trust canadian tire to check my oil, let alone apply something to my paint.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was able to wipe much of it off with a cloth, but thats all i was willing to do.

Going into Canadian Tire to see if tlhey will detail it off. I will also see if i can get a pic of the container of the stuff they did put on so that i can research it a bit.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Ouch ; Crappy Tee not the best place for stuff much beyond emmision tests and tire balancing/swapping IMO.

Looks like Rust Checks green can non drip rust protection ; probably linseed oil based. Problem is you don't want to be damaging rubber or electrical near by using agressive solvent to remove the goop. Try to get corporate to pay for some one else to clean it up.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Going into Canadian Tire to see if they will detail it off.
DO NOT make them touch your car again!! Get them to reimburse you the money you already paid and get the **** out of there!! Go to another Corrision Free dealer, I know many are CT stores. I would recommend an excellent shop in Mississauga, but that's quite far from you.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DO NOT make them touch your car again!! Get them to reimburse you the money you already paid and get the **** out of there!! Go to another Corrision Free dealer, I know many are CT stores. I would recommend an excellent shop in Mississauga, but that's quite far from you.
I'm going to take a stab at it and say you want to recommend Robinson's? Saw them recommended many times.

There is a guy in Oshawa that I was trying to see but he has been too busy to fit me in. Should have waited it out. Worst I figured at Canadian Tire was a sloppy application...not a substitution without permission.

I'm going to get Canadian Tire to refund me and then pay to have another company remove their crap. Either them, or Corrosion Free as it was their product that I have on my invoice.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Couldn't agree more. Why would you want them to touch your car after what they did.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sorry to hear but yes, CT is atrocious and has a very bad rap for auto service. I've only taken my car there once and it was not a good experience, I don't know anyone who has had a good experience getting their cars serviced at a CT.

I wouldn't let them touch your car again and go for the refund.

·
Registered
283 Posts
+1

I would want a refund plus damages, since they did not use the correct product

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'm going to take a stab at it and say you want to recommend Robinson's? Saw them recommended many times.
Yes... If you can, go there!! I'll be heading there next fall. Or go to Krown and request that they don't drill the car for easy access.

·
Registered
459 Posts
i only use Krown on my cars. go on nicely, drips for a week or so, then all good. i feel bad that youve been ripped off by canadian tire!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I also use Krown , with a special request not to drill any holes , and after having my share of bad experiences with Canadian Tire , they will never ever touch my car , period .

Make them accountable for the mess the did in your brand new car.

A

·
0 Posts
Sorry about the bad luck! The GM dealer did a great job on the used Elantra. But thats unacceptable. If this stuff is a disappointment I'll goto Crown too.

2009 Elantra GL Sport

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have mine booked into Krown for next week. I've never had a car rustproofed before. Why do you guys reccomend not having the holes drilled ?

·
Registered
65 Posts
+1 on not trusting CT to do anything, went in for an E-Test and had a wobble as I was leaving the parking lot, got out, turns out my left front wheel lug nuts were only hand tight. Turns out when they were doing the E-Test, they decided to check my brakes and forgot to tighten the lug nuts afterwards.....needles to say they got an earful.

Go to Krown, never had any issues with them whatsoever, took my Tacoma to them every year since 2006 and traded the truck in with zero rust.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I have talked to the guys at Corrosion Free again today and here is what is up:

1. The yellow stuff is supposed to be the canned Rust Check off the shelf. Canadian Tire guy ran out of the Corrosion Free, so they went to the shelf and used the cheapst stuff they could get, the Rust Check.

2. I had a friend put the car up on a hoist this am for me to have a look. They did what looks to be about 1/2 the bottom of my car; the other half looks dry. Looks like a mix of Corrosion Free, and Rust Check (clear stuff in some places, and dripping Rust Check in most places...looks like barely any Corrosion Free was used). I have video and pics to show.

3. Corrosion Free offered to send me to Robinson's to get the old stuff taken off and Corrosion Free done properly, but it was too far away for me to do this. As an alternative, Corrosion Free will meet me at Canadian Tire this Saturday afternoon, where the Corrosion Free guy will fix this himself. I get to be there the whole time, and Canadian Tire guys will not touch the car...we will just be using their equipment.

I prefer not to even go near Canadian Tire, but this seems most convenient for me. I am happy as long as we don't have to have a Canadian Tire guy touch my car, and I get to see the process.

I'll report back after I do this on Saturday.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts