Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 1997 Accent GT DOHC. I have a new multi-function turn signal assembly that I want to install myself. (Hyundai said anywhere from $110 - $220 for them to do it).
I searched on this forum and everywhere for an answer to this question: How do I remove the steering column cover(s)? Do I have to remove the whole steering wheel? It doesn't look like it from looking at it, but I don't want to screw anything up by just winging it.
(There are 2 screws underneath the lower cover.)

Realistically... is this something I can do once I get the covers off? Looks like it just plugs in. If the whole steering wheel needs to come off, I don't feel comfortable doing it myself.

Please help me if you can!

Kristine

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
According to hmaservice.com, you do have to remove the steering wheel. You can try to do it without removing it, but I think the screws for the switch may be covered by the wheel.

As for removing the covers: From their site, it seems like its just the screws on the bottom which hold it on.

I'd recommend joining hmaservice.com, but here are their instructions anyway:
1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
2. Remove the steering wheel.
3. Remove the steering column shroud.
4. Disconnect the harness connectors.
5. Remove the 3 straps.
6. Remove the multifunction switch assembly by loosening the 4 screws shown in the illustration.
7. Installation is the reverse order of the removal procedure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 97's steering column cover had two screws on the bottom piece, and the top piece just popped off the bottom piece. The two halves just snap together.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
QUOTE (sartech @ Apr 20 2010, 10:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315056
Hello,

I have a 1997 Accent GT DOHC. I have a new multi-function turn signal assembly that I want to install myself. (Hyundai said anywhere from $110 - $220 for them to do it).
I searched on this forum and everywhere for an answer to this question: How do I remove the steering column cover(s)? Do I have to remove the whole steering wheel? It doesn't look like it from looking at it, but I don't want to screw anything up by just winging it.
(There are 2 screws underneath the lower cover.)

Realistically... is this something I can do once I get the covers off? Looks like it just plugs in. If the whole steering wheel needs to come off, I don't feel comfortable doing it myself.

Please help me if you can!

Kristine

.............. Hi and :00000732: to the forums too :grin:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies...
Found out the steering wheel had to be removed when I dug right in to do it... lol. So, I just hooked the battery back up and took it over to Hyundai. Wasn't about to tackle THAT myself. Why the heck they wouldn't put the plug-in part right there by the switch to make it easy is beyond me.
Now on to the next project... finding a replacement pop-out sunroof!
Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts