Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still trying to figure out why my car is missing so bad. I'm looking at the fuel injectors wondering how to get them out. Are they just pressed in?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Relieve fuel pressure, unbolt rail/regulator, disconnect all wiring, and pull rail out with injectors in tact. WATCH the o-rings on the injectors, don't let them fall into the intake, lube with something light prior to reinstall.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I have removed them on an XD and other vehicles with intake always in place.
Good avice about using lube ; Orings can harden up might want to have a set on hand.
Node lights can be put on harness to make sure power signal is getting there.

Injectors so seldom go on cars ; I had a Jeep with almost 240k miles and original injectors.
I recall you posting before about rough running. Something silly like a bad wire or plug can happen. Several years ago I had a motorcraft platinum plug fail after 2 months and 2k miles on an Aerostar. Almost disasembled half of car before I found it ; removed injectors and even rotated a used injector through a few cyclinder locations.

Injectors just pressed in; but really stiff o rings lots of wiggling required.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'd like to think it's something like a bad plug but I've replaced too many things now. Here's a list of what was replaced

Plug wires twice
Plugs three times
TPS sensor
Fuel filter
Fuel pump
ECU temp sensor
Exhaust manifold with cat (huge crack)
Sea foam in the intake
Sea foam in the tank couple times
Idle air device
Checked for intake leaks -spray with carb cleaner
Purge valve
Cleaned intake a bunch of times

There's no codes, it runs better with premium fuel. It's gotten progressively worse over a year. Sometimes doesn't seem to happen at all. Runs better when warm. Runs better with lead foot. Runs worse when I feather the pedal back to save gas. Runs fine at highway speed (60mph +)

I'm ready to buy a whole intake assembly and try that, I think I should pull the fuel injectors and try to clean.

·
Registered
748 Posts
if it runs worse at lower rpm, i'd suspect a vacuum leak of sorts. where is your idle at? I've seen older vehicles lose the fuel injector o-rings (deterioration over time) and cause a vacuum leak. very difficult to pinpoint.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I second intake leak of some sort. If you've got air coming through not being picked up by the mass air flow sensor, it will run rough especially at idle.

·
Registered
748 Posts
hmm.. Im bettin you missed something simple, or something has been overlooked. I wish i could provide more insight.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay. I replaced the O rings on the fuel injectors. Pain in the butt trying to do it with sausage fingers. Must be Korean revenge. Anyways, the initial test drive was highly positive, but I don't want to declare victory yet. Let you know in a week. Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They were not too bad methinks. Still pliable enough to get them off without breaking, no cracks, still round. #3 and #4 had some carbon around the injectors. Second test drive still misses a little, but still better than before. Jury still out. Keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Pretty good deal for a used manifold on Fleabay.

Or just buy the gasket since you now have new injector seals.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I took it to a mechanic today, and he was as stumped as I am. He said for sure he doesn't think it's an intake leak. He thought it was bad compression. Tomorrow I'll let him diagnose it for an hour's worth of time. He'll run a compression test, check the timing belt, etc. Look for something I missed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts