Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, this is my first post here.
I just bought a used 2012 Elantra Limited with 33k miles last week. The salesman told me I only have 5-Year/60,000-Mile powertrain warranty that starts from the manufacture date, which means I have 3-year/27,000-mile left. He asked me to buy a bumper to bumper warranty that would make this car a certified pre-owned for $1000. This warranty is also 5-Year/60,000-Mile starts from the manufacture date. Since the salesman said bumper to bumper covers EVERYTHING, I bought it.
Today, I called a dealership near my home and wanted to register my car there so they can keep track of my maintenance schedule. The guy asked me for my car's VINS and check it on their system. He said my car didn't have any warranty and I should go back to my original dealership and ask for a paper with warranty details. I called my original dealership all afternoon and got transferred to different people who all said they are not responsible for this warranty.
The only paper work I have that showed this warranty is on my purchase agreement. However, it only showed $1000 added to the vehicle price, and didn't state that this $1000 is for bumper to bumper warranty.
What do I do now? How do I prove to other dealerships that my car is Certified Pre-Owned when I take it in for service?
This is my first car purchase, thanks for helping me out!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Kind of seems like you were taken? If it was in fact certified, the 2 stickers on the side of the window would state that it's certified.

You don't certify a vehicle by buying a warranty. It gets certified by the dealer before they put it up for sale and check the car out a bit more thoroughly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hyundai standard warranty is 5 yr/60k bumper to bumper. I bought 2011 sonata with 50 k and have all kind of warranty work done on it since then. The only thing I did not get was 100 k power train warranty. My car was not "certified pre-owned".

Check again your paperwork and talk to the dealer. It should be covered. The 1000 extra you paid, you should go back and ask him details of that payment. When you pay something, you are expected to get something and ask him what did he give you for adding the 1000 to your invoice.

Goodluck

·
22,788 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Merely a suggestion, but I'd go down to the selling dealer with the paperwork, notes that I had taken, and ask the General Manager to explain this in greater detail. And also, ask him "Where are my extended warranty documents?"

I would start out being nice, and maintain that level of demeanor until which time you need to take it up several notches. Hopefully that won't happen and you'll be leaving the store completely satisfied.

Let us know how this issue gets resolved, please?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Exactly what Rich said, especially the polite part.

If you get it straightened out, I would still confirm with other dealerships, or even with Hyundai that it's "certified". IIRC, the "certified" warranty should work at any Hyundai dealership since it is actually through Hyundai themselves.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for your reply.

I called my original dealership again and got the run-around again. So I called Hyundai Customer Service 800-633-5151 and was able to speak to a case manager without any waiting time. The case manager checked my VIN number and told me it's not a CPO car. She said she had never heard a dealership that sells a certified pre-owned title to a car that wasn't certified. That car should have been certified before the dealership put in on the market. Also, there's no such thing as bumper to bumper warranty in Hyundai. The $1000 I paid sounds more like an extended warranty. She gave me a case number and wanted me to go to the dealership and ask them for a contract that shows my warranty in writing.

I called my dealership again and told the guy who has been giving me the runaround the case manager's name and the case number. Thirty minutes later, the salesman who sold me the car finally called me back and I told him everything the case manager said. He promised that he will look into it. About two hours later, the salesman called and told me the office forgot to input my file in the system. They had just input my info and my car now is a certified pre-owned. As for the $1000, there's nothing he can do. I'd need to go to the dealership and talk with his manager.

I called Hyundai Customer Service again and was told my car is still not a CPO, but the new info might take a while to show up. I should call back and check.
From what I read on hyundaicertified.com, CPO vehicle has a 10-Year/100,000-Mile Powertrain Limited Warranty plus the remainder of the 5-Year/60,000-Mile new vehicle limited warranty. This is better than the 5-Year/60,000-Mile powertrain warranty that comes with the used car.

I will call Hyundai Customer Service again tomorrow afternoon to see if my car has become a CPO. If my car becomes a CPO, do you think I should ask the dealership for my $1000 anyway?

If my car is not in the CPO system by Friday, I will drive to the dealership and find out what's going on, maybe even ask for a refund of $1000.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Yes, no matter what ask for the $1000 back. Demand it. They jerked you around when they should not have. Elevate it to the owner of the dealership and let him know how you feel. Then pursue thru Hyundai as far as possible. I HATE it when dealerships take advantage of folks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts