Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
any tutorials would be great
May I offer a suggestion?

This has been discussed regarding the previous model. The work involved is to my mind simply neither wise nor particularly safe as it requires extensive electrical work that most laymen are not equipped to do. There is no kit that I know of that can be used to add them. The wiring harnesses are different and this will not be a bolt together project. I'd really forget about it to be perfectly blunt.

You'll get those who will tell you differently. If you do decide to do this I would get an expert opinion from someone who really knows what he is doing; not some shade tree mechanic. I wish you well.

·
Registered
726 Posts
People have been installing fog lights for years without a plug-n-play kit. its 2 wires...positive and negative. Mount the lights, supply power, ground and connect to a switch. its not "rocket surgery"

·
Registered
726 Posts
I don't even know if mine go off when the highs are on. I've never used my highs since owning the car.

Heck, I don't even know if my highs work.

·
Registered
726 Posts
If having the fogs go off when the highs are used, a hot wire from the highs and a relay would solve that problem, but still not that difficult.

As much access as we have to the internet, anyone with half a brain that can follow directions can fake their way through basic wiring. They may not feel comfortable with it, but its doable.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Not a big deal. It took me about 1.5 hours and that was taking it easy. Wiring is pretty simple. Hardest part for me was removing the bumper, you do not have to do it but it will save you time, frustration, and gets the job done perfectly. Removing the steering wheel is not hard but adds about 30min to the whole job. so 2 hours in total

I got mine from SR. by default they are wired so you can turn them on with DRL and lo/high beams and they turn off as soon as you turn off the car.

If you do not have "Auto turn on headlights" on your car than this is the time to do that as well. If you are adding the fogs its extra 2 minutes of work and cost you $20. That is a small BONUS MOD you can do :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
It has been discussed so many times... If the search feature of the forum does not help you much, try using google and type-in hyundai sonata foglights. There may be 4-5 threads discussing about foglights. Good luck !

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
62 Posts
I also installed my fog lights using the shark racing kit. Did it by myself, I went slow and careful and it took me a couple of hours. Like doc_aa said I got all the info I needed searching the threads. Haven't had any problems with them. :D

·
Registered
234 Posts

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
All I can say is "Good Luck!" And fooling around with the steering and air bag is an invitation to get seriously injured or even killed.

The illustrations are very helpful. There were also threads on the older model that showed how to do this. I wanted them on my 2009 Sonata and "assumed" the dealer could do this with an aftermarket kit. Wrongo. And then I got to look into it in more detail. I wound up selling the car instead.

Bottom line: I wouldn't touch this with two ten foot poles. And try getting warranty work on something that has been modified like this. Everyone should read their warranty book and see what it says about this sort of thing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I took off my steering wheel and bumper, installed my fogs, and re-installed without any problems. I did a lot of research before I decided to do it. I was comfortable so I did it. Good Luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I took off my steering wheel and bumper, installed my fogs, and re-installed without any problems. I did a lot of research before I decided to do it. I was comfortable so I did it. Good Luck!
You have my admiration for tackling this project but I question whether this should be done by the average person.

Do you have any concerns about warranty work?

·
Registered
62 Posts
You have my admiration for tackling this project but I question whether this should be done by the average person.

Do you have any concerns about warranty work?
No, in fact just a few weeks ago my car wouldn't start without a jump, took it to the dealership, and needed a new battery. They said the tech noticed the connections to the battery (also have hids) but said they were not an issue. Gave me a 4yr warranty on my new battery, and gave me a prorated discount as the original battery was pass the full replacement warranty.

·
Registered
879 Posts
The amount of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) in this thread is comical. Installing foglights in the Sonata, particularly the Shark Racing kit, is not at all dangerous or complicated if you can read and follow basic precautions. Pull the battery cable and hit the brake pedal a few times. In 15 seconds IIRC the airbag is safe to handle, the caps are drained. Yes, an airbag can kill you if it goes off when you're in the wrong place at the wrong time. But these things aren't hand grenades. People work around them safely all day, every day.

The fog light install might be a bit time consuming, but isn't going to void the warranty. The SR kit uses Hyundai parts if I'm reading it right. The car is designed to have these as an option.

FWIW, installing the Hyundai remote start was a lot more challenging and involved clipping connectors on to over a dozen wires. Way more invasive than fogs.

I hope to install fogs on my GLS in a few months.

·
Registered
234 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts