Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I get gas out of my tank?
I filled it up and the tank leaks.
I can't seem to siphon it out. the hose stops for some reason.
Is there a screen in it or something?
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
137 Posts
There is an anti-siphoning screen in the filler neck. These were implemented during an era when stealing gas was a hobby. I'd say either pull out the fuel pump and siphone from there, or remove the fuel line to all the injectors, and keep the key on so it drains all fuel out. It won't recognize ful pressure building up, so it will keep pumping fuel to the injectors.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
or remove the fuel line to all the injectors, and keep the key on so it drains all fuel out.
While that sounds like a logical thing to do, I wonder if the fuel pump would survive continuous pumping as long as it takes to remove 12 gallons or so ?? I kind of doubt it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
While that sounds like a logical thing to do, I wonder if the fuel pump would survive continuous pumping as long as it takes to remove 12 gallons or so ?? I kind of doubt it.
How many gallons and gallons of fuel have you put thru it over the lifespan of the fuel pump? It is constantly running anyway while driving.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
yes the pump would be fine to drain that fuel, but my approach would be to remove the back seat and pull the pump. its an easy job on this car and then you can siphon out what you want.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
It is constantly running anyway while driving.
Not any that I have ever seen.

They are high pressure, low volume pumps that run only intermittently.

Or has something else changed with the technology recently that I have missed ??

yes the pump would be fine to drain that fuel,
How do you know that.......or even reasonably suspect that it is true ??

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Pump is cooled and lubricated by the gas passing through it.

Running it dry kills pump real fast, stop as soon as flow drops off.

There is a threaded connection under hood where injector flex line is hooked to rigid line.
Careful of spark and gas fumes, easy to set car on fire by accident.

Fuel pressure for injectors 30+ psi is maintained by constantly running pump, excess fuel returns to tank by return line; at least in my world it does.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
How do you know that.......or even reasonably suspect that it is true ??
because the pump on all modern fuel injected cars (accent included) runs at full tilt while the car is running with a bypass back to tank otherwise known as a 'recirc' line for cooling. as long as fuel is going through it, it will be cooled. if the OP watches closely and doesn't run it dry, the pump will be cooled. running it dry removes all coolant (read: gas) and the pump overheats.

by 'drain' i probably should have been more specific. to completely drain the tank, no thats a big no-no. reading above, my interpretation is that may not be what the OP wants to do. sounds more like just drain it down a bit. tank leaks like that are often at the top, most people just want to remove some fuel to get below the leak point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
by 'drain' i probably should have been more specific. to completely drain the tank, no thats a big no-no. reading above, my interpretation is that may not be what the OP wants to do. sounds more like just drain it down a bit. tank leaks like that are often at the top, most people just want to remove some fuel to get below the leak point.[/quote]

Bingo. Thanks all, for the advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How do I get gas out of my tank?
I filled it up and the tank leaks.
I can't seem to siphon it out. the hose stops for some reason.
Is there a screen in it or something?
Any help would be appreciated.
My syfoner came with an adapter and a smaller diameter hose that I attached and was able to then get through to the tank, you may have to improvise and use duct tape to attach a smaller diameter hose, I got mine from Advanced Auto parts for just under 20 bucks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts