Hyundai Forums banner

How do I disconnect the seat belt chime?

6K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Tiger-Heli 
#1 ·
OK, I know I will get a few of you that will say, just wear your seat belt, or
it's dangerous not to wear your seat belt. If you must go ahead. :p

I drive for a living and get in and out of my care often, and I do not always
wear my seat belt. That chime is driving my batty. I tried to search, but did
not find anything.

Thanks,
Jason

#2 ·
Maybe buckle the belt, put a cushion over it so it doesn't dig into your back.

Can understand the annoyance tho, I often drive around a rural property on rough dirt tracks at about 2 kms/hr, often have to get out and open gates, pick up tree branches, check fencing, etc., drives me batty too.

#3 · (Edited)
Not a smart thing to do but it's a free country and you have to pay the fiddler if anything goes wrong, so...: Go to a salvage yard, find a Hyundai with the same configuration of belt clip that you have. Cut it off, buy it, walk out. Place it into the slot, done. They actually sell generic versions of these on eBay.

But, here again, not the most brilliant idea you've ever had...maybe the other way around! :wink2:

#11 ·
I wonder if they make one that is two sided? One side to stop the alarm and the other side that you can actually plug your seat belt into so you could use it when you want.
They do, Amazon and several other places sell seatbelt extenders. They're DOT certified and come in several lengths. I'm a big guy and added one to my '07 Accent and it made things SO much more comfortable. Since it plugs in like a regular belt it disables the chime and can be used as a seatbelt.

Edit:
This is the model I purchased. Went directly through the manufacturer.
http://amzn.com/B005JZTMDC

#5 ·
Fords used to have a procedure that would disable the alarm when you turned the key on and off and on and then connected and disconnected the belt so many times. I can't remember exactly how it was done and probably doesn't work for the Hyundai..

But there are 'plugs' you can insert into the belt latches so the system thinks the belts are fastened.. eBay has them: 2 x Eliminate Alarm Seat Belt Buckle Clasp Insert Plug Hyundai Emblem Shop Alarm | eBay

#7 ·
You would have to make the contact points "think" there is a connection, thus shutting down the constant "bing-bing-bing."

I never realized that buckling a seat belt was so labor intensive. I guess I've been doing it all wrong these past years.

#9 ·
Not labor intensive, but I do find them incredibly uncomfortable and spend my entire time while driving tugging and rearranging the damned thing. This can be a problem since I drive for a living, am in my car about 7 hours a day, and get in and out approximately 40 times.

I do try to wear it on longer stretches.

On an added note, at least the chime does not go off when the door is open like the 2009 models.

#17 ·
+1000

Wearing a seat belt can save your life. When you "drive for a living" then it makes all the more sense to wear one. If something were to happen you could seriously injure yourself. Just buckle up.

#16 ·
I drive for a living and get in and out of my car often, and I do not always wear my seat belt. That chime is driving my batty.
I've had a score+ times that could have killed me. Never did I think I was in danger, till 2 seconds or less, before the danger was passed. Don't "drive for a living", till it kills you.

My friend & I were saved by our seatbelts in a full, stop-in-2 foot, head-on collision from a speed less than 35mph. My friend broke 3 of her ribs. Still remember the seatbelt squeezing me like a giant for 1/100th of a second. Another accident, I was saved by my full-face shielded, motorcycle helmet, though I sustained a multiple broken jaw, arm swelled to twice its diameter, was continually black & blue from shoulder to ankle, & knocked out for 3 days. I love my safety equipment. You should love your safety equipment, too. Life is delicate, easily tossed away....... even easier to do so, by avoidance of safety gear.

You say the chime is driving you batty. Better that you lose your hearing, than your life.

#18 ·
As JWT873 said - Ford has a procedure for disabling the chime, Hyundai does not.

I don't recommend not wearing seat belts, but that is a personal decision.

If you want to disable the chime ...

There should be a chime module that you can just unplug, but you will also probably lose the chimes for headlights left on, keys left in ignition, etc.

Ideally, what someone suggested with shorting the contact pins so you can still use the seat belts but the car thinks they are connected is probably your best option.

#22 ·
Nope - not really true. If you get in an accident, your MEDICAL coverage if you have that through your car insurance might not pay IF you aren't WEARING your seat belt (and they can likely tell from bruises, etc.). If you just disconnect the chime, but wear the belt, I don't see it being an issue.

As posted, on Fords, there is a way to disable the CHIME See attached pages from 2014 Ford Fiesta OM - There is no way Ford would allow this in the manual if it would void your insurance if you disabled it.

Nobody is saying you shouldn't wear seat belts, but I don't see an issue with not having the car beep at you.

(And for that, matter - if you CHOOSE to not wear a seat belt, I have less problem with that than I do with drunk driving, distracted driving, speeding, road rage, etc.)

Not wearing a seat belt, really you are just putting yourself, not others at risk - similar to smoking in your own home (if you live alone or with other smokers), drinking at home, eating steaks 8 meals a week, etc.)

Attachments

#21 ·
Now that we all know the correct procedure for launching oneself thru a windshield, who wants to step up and be the first to record a YouTube video? Style points will be awarded in the event we have more than one contestant. Proceeds from DVD/Viral Ad sales will be split with your beneficiary(s).

Don't know what's worse. Someone wanting to circumvent the system, us helping them find ways for doing it, or making light of a serious safety issue. Meh, it's a free country.

Live and learn. Maybe...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.