I drive for a living and get in and out of my care often, and I do not always
wear my seat belt. That chime is driving my batty. I tried to search, but did
not find anything.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
313 Posts
Maybe buckle the belt, put a cushion over it so it doesn't dig into your back.

Can understand the annoyance tho, I often drive around a rural property on rough dirt tracks at about 2 kms/hr, often have to get out and open gates, pick up tree branches, check fencing, etc., drives me batty too.

·
22,793 Posts
Not a smart thing to do but it's a free country and you have to pay the fiddler if anything goes wrong, so...: Go to a salvage yard, find a Hyundai with the same configuration of belt clip that you have. Cut it off, buy it, walk out. Place it into the slot, done. They actually sell generic versions of these on eBay.

But, here again, not the most brilliant idea you've ever had...maybe the other way around! :wink2:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Fords used to have a procedure that would disable the alarm when you turned the key on and off and on and then connected and disconnected the belt so many times. I can't remember exactly how it was done and probably doesn't work for the Hyundai..

But there are 'plugs' you can insert into the belt latches so the system thinks the belts are fastened.. eBay has them: 2 x Eliminate Alarm Seat Belt Buckle Clasp Insert Plug Hyundai Emblem Shop Alarm | eBay

·
22,793 Posts
Is it possible to bypass the buckle switch at a connector under the seat?
You would have to make the contact points "think" there is a connection, thus shutting down the constant "bing-bing-bing."

I never realized that buckling a seat belt was so labor intensive. I guess I've been doing it all wrong these past years.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not labor intensive, but I do find them incredibly uncomfortable and spend my entire time while driving tugging and rearranging the damned thing. This can be a problem since I drive for a living, am in my car about 7 hours a day, and get in and out approximately 40 times.

I do try to wear it on longer stretches.

On an added note, at least the chime does not go off when the door is open like the 2009 models.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
You can get seat belt dummy plugs to use instead of the seat belt. Or you can take the connector off under the seat and jumper the contacts for a permanent disable.

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
I wonder if they make one that is two sided? One side to stop the alarm and the other side that you can actually plug your seat belt into so you could use it when you want.
They do, Amazon and several other places sell seatbelt extenders. They're DOT certified and come in several lengths. I'm a big guy and added one to my '07 Accent and it made things SO much more comfortable. Since it plugs in like a regular belt it disables the chime and can be used as a seatbelt.

Edit:
This is the model I purchased. Went directly through the manufacturer.
http://amzn.com/B005JZTMDC

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try a scrap yard, cut the belt, plug it into the receiver and viola, no more bing bing. Probably be cheap as chips too.

Although I would go with wearing a belt.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Get in an accident and the first thing the cops ask is if you had your seat belt on. When my truck got totaled I said yes. I couldn't imagine what might have happened if I did not have it on.
Take some advice from some old farts in here, buckle up. You'll be glad you did.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
I drive for a living and get in and out of my car often, and I do not always wear my seat belt. That chime is driving my batty.
I've had a score+ times that could have killed me. Never did I think I was in danger, till 2 seconds or less, before the danger was passed. Don't "drive for a living", till it kills you.

My friend & I were saved by our seatbelts in a full, stop-in-2 foot, head-on collision from a speed less than 35mph. My friend broke 3 of her ribs. Still remember the seatbelt squeezing me like a giant for 1/100th of a second. Another accident, I was saved by my full-face shielded, motorcycle helmet, though I sustained a multiple broken jaw, arm swelled to twice its diameter, was continually black & blue from shoulder to ankle, & knocked out for 3 days. I love my safety equipment. You should love your safety equipment, too. Life is delicate, easily tossed away....... even easier to do so, by avoidance of safety gear.

You say the chime is driving you batty. Better that you lose your hearing, than your life.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Get in an accident and the first thing the cops ask is if you had your seat belt on. When my truck got totaled I said yes. I couldn't imagine what might have happened if I did not have it on.
Take some advice from some old farts in here, buckle up. You'll be glad you did.
+1000

Wearing a seat belt can save your life. When you "drive for a living" then it makes all the more sense to wear one. If something were to happen you could seriously injure yourself. Just buckle up.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
As JWT873 said - Ford has a procedure for disabling the chime, Hyundai does not.

I don't recommend not wearing seat belts, but that is a personal decision.

If you want to disable the chime ...

There should be a chime module that you can just unplug, but you will also probably lose the chimes for headlights left on, keys left in ignition, etc.

Ideally, what someone suggested with shorting the contact pins so you can still use the seat belts but the car thinks they are connected is probably your best option.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
It's probably part of the BCM. The Gen Coupe has a little speaker mounted on the BCM for the chime.

If you can get diagram for the BCM connector and find the seat belt input all you probably have to do is ground the input wire.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts