Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand it is pretty easy to change the cabin filter on a 2008 Sonata. Do I have to remove a side panel to get to the hydraulics for the glove box? I have read several different versions of how to replace this filter what is the straight up truth?

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
QUOTE (Sonata_Guy @ Apr 17 2010, 04:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314004
I understand it is pretty easy to change the cabin filter on a 2008 Sonata. Do I have to remove a side panel to get to the hydraulics for the glove box? I have read several different versions of how to replace this filter what is the straight up truth?

its easy, it is explained in your owners manual and there is also serveral topics on the database on 'how'....here is one link

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?sh...hl=cabin+filter

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
I like pictures. 4 Steps, then Golf. Why I paid $39.95 the first time around for a Job that can be done in less than 60 seconds I don't know.

The hardest part is taking your stuff out of the Glove Box :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (rallyman @ Apr 17 2010, 12:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314145
True, but I don't even remove the stuff from the glove box. I find that if I let the glove box drop down onto my leg I can get just enough clearance to slide the filter tray out without having anything fall out.
Well that is almost as strange as the Colonel above in Pink playing Golf for the next Week or two?

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I paid $23.41 (incl tax) today for a cabin filter for my 08 Sonata. I followed the installment steps and the original filter was a mess with smalll leaves and discoloration (like a greenish moss color). When I put the new filter in (Wix filter) I had no problem except that now when I turn my blower on to any setting above 3 bars I start to get a progressively worse noise from the blower. The noise is like a HUMMMMMM. The air flow output seems strong enough so the filter must be letting adequate air flow pass through. With the old filter I could not hear the Hummm so I can only draw a few conclusions.

1. The old filter was so clogged that it provided a sound dampening barrier.

2. My blower motor could be on the way out. (Had to replace the one in my Taurus after about 2 years but that one quit altogether).

3. Perhaps these non OEM filters just dont have the right filtering and cause the blower to make noise.

I should point out that this filter had an arrow which has to be installed so that it points up with the air flow direction. I thought the arrow could have mistakenly been stamped in the wrong direction so I reinstalled the other way and had the same problem so I installed it back with the arrow up.

I guess I should ask if anyone else with a 4G Sonata is getting this noise which starts at 4 bars and gets louder as the bars increase.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (Sonata_Guy @ Jun 2 2010, 11:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328835
I should point out that this filter had an arrow which has to be installed so that it points up with the air flow direction. I thought the arrow could have mistakenly been stamped in the wrong direction so I reinstalled the other way and had the same problem so I installed it back with the arrow up.
The direction arrow is to prevent the filter element from sagging, nothing to do
with filtration.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ Jun 2 2010, 12:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328845
While the Blower Motor could be going bad, I bet it was a piece of debris that got stuck in it. This happened on my Elantra as well!
Miami...I found another blog where a guy had the same loud noise after changing his cabin filter. He took the blower motor out and found a piece of paper and a leaf stuck in it. I am going to see how easy it is to get the motor out. I also read another blog where a guy had the same problem and was advised by a dealer to use an Infiniti part. He got the Infiniti part installed it and problem solved.

I am also confused because when I took the old filter out it had leaves on top of it and most of the discoloration was on top also. The blower motor blows upward and the filter lies on top so how did the leaves and debris get on top of the filter when the blower is blowing air into the bottom of it?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
QUOTE (Sonata_Guy @ Jun 4 2010, 06:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329763
I am also confused because when I took the old filter out it had leaves on top of it and most of the discoloration was on top also. The blower motor blows upward and the filter lies on top so how did the leaves and debris get on top of the filter when the blower is blowing air into the bottom of it?

The direction of air flow is down - the crud accumulates on top. So any loose noisemaking type stuff is down. Remove the filter/filter tray and see whats down there.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
KC had the same hummmmmmm after I replaced the factory filter with a home made, cut down heating filter. I removed the filter and she stopped hummmmmmmming. Replaced it with a factory filter and no more hummmmmmmmm. Not all home made filters do this. The Wix filter is probably the culprit.

BTW, the price you were quoted for replacing the cabin filter is WAY over the top. I wonder if they want $75 for the filter unless you have them install it? :harhar:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Miami, bobad, kn5owa, as it turned out you were all right here is what happened.

When I replaced the cabin filter I did reach down into the mouth of the blower and pull out some small leaves that must have fallen out when I removed the dirty filter which had a half dozen very small leaves stuck in it! Knowing that I had done this very carefully I had assumed that there could not be any more debris in the blower...WRONG ! Don't ask me how they got there because they would have to come through the filter to get there but there they were! Now the blower sounds whisper quiet and quiet even at full blast! I feel whole once again LOL Thanks for the help and support! This forum is probably the most valuable tool I have as far as my car goes!

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
Great outcome! :thumbsup: We all can learn from each other here. You know I was asked by a couple members to stay away from the 2011 Sonata board, because I don't own one. Many unhappy people over there, but if you own a Hyundai and have had a similar problem, your advice can be very valuable. Also perhaps because we have always had such a good group over here! I did get rid of a few but that is another story! Glad to know your Blower is ok, at least for now. It can be a pain! :trophy:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a new filter at napa for 40 bucks, tried to remove the filter tray and broke the two clips on the right hand side, how do i go about opening the tray now? I would hate to have to take it in now and get the service techs to fix it, i bet it would be a 200 dollar fix now? The clips are flimsy as ****, barely put any pressure on them and they snapped

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (efryters @ Jun 12 2010, 12:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=332349
I just bought a new filter at napa for 40 bucks, tried to remove the filter tray and broke the two clips on the right hand side, how do i go about opening the tray now? I would hate to have to take it in now and get the service techs to fix it, i bet it would be a 200 dollar fix now? The clips are flimsy as ****, barely put any pressure on them and they snapped
Not good, and yes this can happen, especially after the first change. If that does not happen you can do the change in under 30 seconds.

If it DOES happen you might have to pay the Dealer to not only change the Filter now, but repair the clips as well. I paid once & will

not have your problem ever. However that is why the Dealer charges for this service. It can be a pain! :00000732: :thumbsup:

Tell us more about this Euro Edition 3.0 Sonata you are driving in Canada?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
QUOTE (efryters @ Jun 12 2010, 03:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=332349
No problemo - pull the tray out with an ordinary pair of pliers. It will pop right out with very little force.

Put the pliers on the ribs at the center of the tray - squeeze the tabs at the top and bottom of the tray (if you still have any).

I keep a spare tray on hand just for this reason - they are fragile. They cost about $6 - not bad.

P.S. My records show that I paid $22 for a cabin filter plus oil filter at the dealer about a month ago. But, that was discount - they have a two tier price arrangement.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts