Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All! I am hoping to purchase a Sonata soon! Still narrowing down choices and deciding on a trim. I have read through some old posts where people comment some on seat comfort, but wanted to start a current post to hear from all of you out there on the board currently.

So.... tell us what trim level Sonata you are driving and comment on your seat comfort. Those of your driving your sonatas for a couple months now, have the seats gotten more comfortable over time?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Seats are fine, but a little small for me - I am 6'1" though. Some may feel they are a little stiff but that does not bother me. I have a Limited with the leather trim.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Limited with leather (obviously). I think the seats are very comfortable. I'm coming from a '98 Camry With cloth seats so who wouldn't like these..?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Limited - I was initially concerned that they will be too hard and I wanted the seat to be a inch or two longer but after a few long stints I can honestly say they are great - I am 6'1". Now that the CAnadian winter is approaching my family is starting to enjoy the front and back bum warmers too :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just picked up my '11 SE on Saturday so I don't think I qualify for long term. I am coming from an '01 Maxima SE and (although I loved my Maxima) I find the seats to be very supportive and pretty comfy (I am 5'6). I also like the Leather/Cloth combo (but hope it lasts). My parents have the '11 Limited since last April and the seats are really nice and comfortable-no complaints from my dad (6'1), mom (5'3)-plus the seat warmers on four seats is great. The leather is a little hard when compared to the Genesis, but will probably will wear better in the long-run. The only complaint I have had so-far is my wife (5'3) about the seat height on the passengers side.

Good luck on your decision-and in any trim, it is a really nice car.

·
Registered
98 Posts
QUOTE (shabadoo25 @ Nov 8 2010, 08:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370044
The leather seats in the Limited are hard, cheap and uncomfortable. Worst thing about the car.

Maybe not quite as bad as this, but I also find them hard. I had to buy a padded insert to help my butt on long rides. I have a Limited that I bought in April and have put 13,000 km's on, so I have a bit of "seat" experience.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Limited w/ factory leather, about 3k miles in the seat so far. I'd say the seats are firm, but not hard - although your opinion will probably depend on what you've driven previously. I'm 5'11" and I find they are a good mix of comfort and feedback from the road. As for the material - it's a decent quality considering the price you're paying for the vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Owner of an SE. Like the firmness of the seats compared to the GLS. Had that confirmed today when I had a GLS as a loaner during the day. The GLS seats are too mushy for my taste.

·
1,914 Posts
My only complaints about my Limited are the seats. They are hard and the "leather" isn't the nicest. Also, the bottom part of the seat isn't long enough. This was a complaint on the 06-08's and they fixed it in 09, no idea why they resorted back to this.

Next time you are at the dealer check out a 2011 Elantra Touring SE. The leather in them is nicer than what we get in the Limited.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I would be more comfortable if the bottom cushion were longer to support more of my thigh.
They're not the most comfortable seats I've ever had.

·
Registered
603 Posts
For those of you who have said the seats are too firm, has your opinion changed over time?

I have read on other forums that many differnet car seats take a while to break in. On my bike, I have an aftermarket two-piece seat that was noticeably more firm than the stock seat, and when I first got it, I didnt like it, but over time, after breaking it in, it got a lot more comfortable. Maybe the Sonata seats will be the same way?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Firmness is OK - could be a little softer but not that hard to get used to.

The issue is the size of the bottom seat - I find it too short by about 2". Also, it does not go low enough. I am 6'1".

·
Registered
43 Posts
QUOTE (jbishop.rwc @ Nov 9 2010, 02:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370192
Firmness is OK - could be a little softer but not that hard to get used to.

The issue is the size of the bottom seat - I find it too short by about 2". Also, it does not go low enough. I am 6'1".
The firmness comments worry me a bit... Do the seats give at all and conform to you?? I am debating between the limited or a gls with aftermarket leather. I've ruled out the se because I'm not a fan of the tighter suspension.

·
Registered
652 Posts
QUOTE (jena55 @ Nov 9 2010, 03:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370210
The firmness comments worry me a bit... Do the seats give at all and conform to you?? I am debating between the limited or a gls with aftermarket leather. I've ruled out the se because I'm not a fan of the tighter suspension.
They are hard and uncomfortable.

Had I kept the car, I would have either covered them with better leather or torn them out and gotten new ones.

·
Registered
141 Posts
62 year old Liminted driver.
Seats are fine , even for my old buns.
If the seats were cheap and uncomfortable that would have been the first thing I would have noticed when test driving.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I dont mean to cross-post, but here is what I posted in the Turbo section. I also started a thread shortly after getting my car, stating that the new Sonata was designed for short people because of the short bottom seat cushion:

It never ceases to amaze me the most important feature of a car--the driver's seat can be so different from varying manufacturers.

I had a Maxima that overall the seat was pretty comfortable. The back part of the bottom cushion would go up and down. Once that got sorted out, and no one jacked with my seat, I was golden. Now then, I moved to an Accord. God I hated those seats. They were thin, lower back was too puffed out, even without lumbar extended, and the side bolsters were too stiff.

Now this brings me to the Sonata. I really really really want to love this car whole heartedly (because it has all of the other features I wanted, well except for memory seats), however the bottom seat cushion is just too short. I started another thread in the 5th Gen forum--something like the new Sonata's are made for short people. I am only 6 foot 1. I believe I have found a compromise whereby the front of the bottom seat cushion can go no lower, as well as the back is at the lowest as well. If the back were to go higher, my head hits the ceiling due to the low roofline. If the front were to go higher, no matter how far I put my butt into the back of the seat, if the front goes higher, it cuts into my thigh. The only thing I can hope for is that the cushion breaks down and becomes softer.

Otherwise I have no gripes with the seat back. If I need to, I can extend the lumbar, and the bolsters are almost non-existent, and the overall seat back is clam-like.

So, it is a work in progress. I sure hope I can get used to this seat because I get out of the car on the normal commute of 50 minutes and my right top of thigh is sore, my shin is sore, my calf is sore...

·
1,914 Posts
The firmness doesn't bother me as much as the length of the seat cushion does. I haven't taken my car on any trips yet for long term comfort but for my 10 mile drive to work, it's fine. I have had my car a month and 3 weeks and only have 970 so I can't say if the seats have become softer.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts