Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cigarette lighter works, so there must be power getting to the outlet. But when I plug in the 12v adapter for a power inverter I have (I wanted to then plug in my phone charger into it.) I get nothing at all. The inverter has a digital display on it that should display the voltage from the outlet (iirc, could be current) but there's nothing at all. why?

Is there just not a strong enough current to be able to plug in a 12v device? The car is from 1987.. maybe they didn't have enough power to the cig outlet back then??

·
Registered
660 Posts
If you are talking about a large rectangular box that you plug in household item plugs into, I would agree with you. That is most likely the case. Do you have the instructions for the inverter or does it state on the inverter what the amperage requirements are? Compare that to the fuse for your cig lighter. That should clarify the issue. If that is the case, buy an aftermarket cig lighter and used a larger gauge wire and tap into a circuit that has a higher rated fuse and heavier gauge wires or go directly off the battery.

If it is just a cigarette lighter connector with a small built in inverter like what comes on a GPS and most cell phones, then it should work. How do you know it does work other than when you connect this inverter you have?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know the cig lighter works because when I press the cig lighter in it gets red hot and can light cigs.. so, there's power getting to it.

If no power gets to the inverter (the inverter has a digital display that, iirc, shows amperage & voltage) - but I could be wrong on that, can't recall.. it's been a long time since I've used it - and thus shoooould display what is actually getting to it if anything is, even if it's not enough. I think. I'll have to plug it into another vehicle and see.

If the inverter doesn't work, why would a car phone charger? Or a gps for that matter? I'd like to be able to plug in a gps as well.. and this makes me wonder whether I even can or not.

If not I may have to run a separate 12v outlet & just run a heavy cable & fuse right off the battery like I was running power for an amp/sub or something. Hmmm.. I'll have to check things out a little better one of these days when I have some time to do so.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Many car lighter jacks have a max load of 10 Amps and the inverter may be trying to pull more than that and not work. A proper cell phone charger or GPS unit will only pull 1-2 Amps.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
If the cig plug is hot, that is, it shows 12 volts nominal, but the inverter is completely dead, check for a fuse on the inverter. With no load on the inverter, it's not related to too much current draw, that would only happen if you tried to exceed the cig outlet or max out the inverter by placing a big load on it. It sounds like the inverter is not seeing the 12 volts from the cig plug, or it could be defective as well. Check for a fuse first and as others suggested try the inverter on another 12 volt source. cheers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts