Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm trying to help my nephew buy a car (we're looking at Hyndai Sonata 2012's right now). I notice that the PZEV (California's Partial Zero Emission Vehicle Standard) versions for the car are cheaper than the normal versions of the car, like a 2012 with about 12k miles is $13k while a 2011 30k miles is 15k on the same dealer website (i've seen this same thing at another hyndai dealer website, so it's not an anomaly).

Anyone know why PZEV vehicles are cheaper? Are there any drawbacks besides slightly less HP/Torque and more expensive replacement emissions parts?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
as far as i know, they are the same except for the emissions equipment...thus, resulting in a few less hp...which i doubt anyone can tell a difference anyways.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as far as i know, they are the same except for the emissions equipment...thus, resulting in a few less hp...which i doubt anyone can tell a difference anyways.
Yeah, that's what i was thinking too, if anything, the PZEV should be MORE expensive, considering things like the catalytic converter are usually twice as expensive for these cars!

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
May want to do a VIN check on the car. Possible that the car failed the stricter emissions stds (CA, NY, etc) and is being sold in a state without emissions standards.

Thats just a guess...like other posters have chimed in the PZEV models are usually more expensive. And based on where the OP lives, I would think they would be more in demand since the east coast tends to have similar emissions regs to CA

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
emissions taxes?
I hope not.

That is how they do it in Europe and Asia. Not sure if it actually helps with the environment, but it sure makes cars over there expensive to own and operate!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
May want to do a VIN check on the car. Possible that the car failed the stricter emissions stds (CA, NY, etc) and is being sold in a state without emissions standards.

Thats just a guess...like other posters have chimed in the PZEV models are usually more expensive. And based on where the OP lives, I would think they would be more in demand since the east coast tends to have similar emissions regs to CA
Good point, thanks... i did a VIN check but didn't see anything about failed emissions check, i'm in CT btw

·
Registered
301 Posts
If it is a PZEV it probably came from CA, I would think such a car is fairly attractive because it was likely never exposed to snow and salt. Just a guess...

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Last I heard at training was something along the lines that they bring out the PZEV first to cover the east coast market and CA to get the low emissin vehicles out (quota maybe ? ),, then the regular emission cars come along

1 - 11 of 11 Posts