Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious! I just did an oil and filter changed in dealership and I brought my own Mobil1 synthetic and OEM filter in. I was sitting in the lounge and waiting for it to be done. I have heard stories about dealer takes your expensive oil and put in their conventional oil in. That kind of stories makes me worried. Anyone know how to check it ? Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
323 Posts
The biggest reason why I do my own changes. If it is a reputable dealer, chances are they used your supplies. However, you never really know. The sticker is just a reminder, not necessarily what was installed.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I think Quaker State is what our cars come with from the factory so that may explain why they have those stickers.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
No way to know for sure unless you watch them pour it.

Years ago when I used M1, it had a distinct greenish/yellow tint and sweet odor- different than any oil I had used.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Pretty impressive though how they type the info on the label - usually it's handwritten in unintelligible fashion.

·
Registered
699 Posts
You could trust them a little. If not request the empty containers back and you could watch as suggested above. If these suggestions don't work or satisfy start changing the oil yourself. Save oil and filter receipts and note the mileage in a log book when changed.

Bob

·
Registered
326 Posts
Just curious! I just did an oil and filter changed in dealership and I brought my own Mobil1 synthetic and OEM filter in. I was sitting in the lounge and waiting for it to be done. I have heard stories about dealer takes your expensive oil and put in their conventional oil in. That kind of stories makes me worried. Anyone know how to check it ? Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unless you are able to stand there and physically watch what they are doing you really can't and at most dealerships that is impossible since the service area is back in the bowels of the building. If you go to a quick lube, WM or your local service station you can probably stand there and watch since the service bays are generally open. Your concern here along with a plethora of other things such as them putting a filter on SO TIGHT only a 600lb gorilla can wrench it off, or cross threading the filter, and the list is never ending. IMO it's just so much easier to do it yourself and then you know it's done right and with care and you will save a few bucks in the end that one should seriously consider that option. With some exceptions I think doing as much as you can yourself is a good idea and the few tools/items you need for that except if you want a set of car ramps will easily be paid for within a few oil changes. You have to remember the ultimate goals of a business based service provider is to make $$$ and not to provide you with the best service, but the minimal so as to not hurt their profits.

Larry

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
You have to remember the ultimate goals of a business based service provider is to make $$$ and not to provide you with the best service, but the minimal so as to not hurt their profits.
This is a pretty ignorant generalization. Most of the jobs I've worked have been service based and I can say the customer was always number one. Every company I've worked for always had a strong emphasis on providing excellent service. And do you know why? Because if we didn't, we wouldn't have any customers. Granted there are companies like Walmart that could care less about customer service, but not all companies are like that. In fact, most are far from it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
This is a pretty ignorant generalization. Most of the jobs I've worked have been service based and I can say the customer was always number one. Every company I've worked for always had a strong emphasis on providing excellent service. And do you know why? Because if we didn't, we wouldn't have any customers. Granted there are companies like Walmart that could care less about customer service, but not all companies are like that. In fact, most are far from it.
You are entitled to your opinion and it's no generalization that business prime focus is on the bottom line and the stockholders prove that. I view not understanding that as being naive and uninformed. Remember I was talking about Businesses and not what an individual might or might not do and the worry expressed in this thread and the recent threads on the "Fluff" being added on when the members are having routine service done is proof enough to demonstrate my point.

As they say Q.E.D.;)

Larry

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I'd say its a combination of both profits and keeping the customer happy. Really can't achieve one without the other.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Simply demand the your oil bottle(s) back. If they cannot produce them, dont pay for the oil change and make sure to NEVER go back to them for service again.

Simple solution...am I wrong here?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'd say its a combination of both profits and keeping the customer happy. Really can't achieve one without the other.
Of course it is and I acknowledged that fact in my original post w/o customers there are no profits.

Larry

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
What's to say they wouldn't grab one out of the trash can and shelve the stuff you brought in?
If you are using the some standard oil brand (Penz, M1, Quaker, etc) then yeah they could. Also, you could mark your bottle (I do this whenever I go in for recalls to make sure they actually replace the part) and then see if they try to give you the flim-flam.

However, I know some of the members here use some exotic stuff like Lucas, Royal Purple, or Amsoil. If a dealer is slick enough to have empties with those labels on them, then I would really avoid them for much more than just oil changes!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts